Frame sliders installation

Hoopech1

Registered
...I am going to need it. I figured I would install these myself and save some money, and after some of the "professional" shop horror stories I've heard, if anyone is gonna screw this up it might as well be me! I have been dreading this install for over a week, but it is time to face my fear.

I will be using the remove-laser-replace-tape-mark-remove-pray-drill method for each side. I bought a 1 3/4" cutting diameter bit-it might be snug, but I think I will be OK. If it is too small, I have a 1 7/8" bit.

Tomorrow is the day-God help me and my baby....

Good luck! Just go slow. I presently don't have the... well, you know, to do it myself. Think I'm going to bring it to the shop (as soon as I see an example of their work).

May the force be with you.
smile.gif

After drilling the hole if it is too snug on one side use a fine tip marking pen and run it along the slider (when its attached to the bike) then use a small sanding drum to even out the circle.

Install Part I

Well, the hard part (cutting) is over and I have to say that I am very satisfied with how it came out. The set up and right side took about 1 hour or so-the right side was faster-like 30 min. The right was about 1/8" higher than I wanted because the drill dug in that far off from where I set it-serves me right for not double-checking. The left side came out better than the right because I caught the jump and corrected before I went for it. Talk about scary....

The problem now is that I do not have the tools to remove the stock bolts and put the new slider bolts on-DOH! It never crossed my mind that I would need an allen set instead of just the sockets-I never checked. The new bolts are socket so I just ASSumed that the stock ones were too. I will update with pics when all is done. Oh yeah, should I re-use the stock bolts or use the nes that came with the sliders?

Oh yeah-I am glad I went with the smaller bit-if you are off one way or the other, it is not that bad to adjust. The dremel I bought last week has paid off beautifully-stock undertail mod, airbox mod, and now fixing the slider hole. And it seems that the 1 3/4" bit was the correct size anyway because on the left side, there was no grinding necessary-only smoothing.

That was one FUNKY-AZZZ install. Sorry you had to go through that, SPEEDEMON.

Hoop..if you live anywhere near Speedemon, ask him what the name of the shop was and stay far, far, far, FAR away from it.

Hoop..if you live anywhere near Speedemon, ask him what the name of the shop was and stay far, far, far, FAR away from it.
Believe it or not Pac,I think that was a dealership!
yeah...I thought I remember readin something like that. That's unbelievable.

Kinda like when I first got the Busa out here (03). I asked the dealership here if they could/have they ever done an oil change on the Busa.

Their response? "well, we have a shop manual, so we'll just follow that."
wow.gif
wow.gif
wow.gif
That was the last time I went to them. They're better now (they have a cert. motorcycle mechanic), but I'm still abit worried sometimes.

Hell, I even asked them about the 40th Anniv. Busa...the general manager there said he never even heard about it! Holy crap...

wow.gif

wow.gif

Dealership did mine like that.
mad.gif
mad.gif
Youre kidding right? Did they buy you new side fairings?

mad.gif

YOU MEAN I WASN"T SUPPOSED TO PUT THEM THERE!?!

Just kidding-sliders in that spot don't even look right-what would they be protecting? And it looks like shat! I hope Speed and Black Bird got his plastics replaced if a dealer did that.

And yeah-I need a shop to install my HMF full high mount and I have been so paranoid about it....any recommendations in the Edison, NJ area are greatly appreciated...

What is the easiest way to get the stock bolt out? Should I use a breaker bar with the "T" handle allen or is there a special tool I should get? I plan on purchasing a torque wrench to put the new bolts on.

Nevermind-I got it all worked out-long socket wrench with an adapter did the job easy. I am just about to reassemble (again) and I will post pictures. For a "do-it-yourselfer", it came out pretty nice. Left is 100% perfect-right is 85-90%, not bad I guess....thanks for all of the tips.

Chris

Sliders aren't too bad once you triple check your measurements where you want them. It's just having the balls to to take the hole saw to your fairings that makes you cringe!

mad.gif

mad.gif
Yeah right
mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif
Yeah right
mad.gif
they didnt buy you new fairings??? you're kiddin right?

mad.gif

mad.gif

ughhh....must come up with better idea because i dont want to cut the ferring

Back