Format wars Blu-Ray vs HD

Hmmm.. I'm thinking the format issue will end this year. 2 dedicated studio's in HD only, a couple still playing both sides, and BR with most solely dedicated to it. Sony's had its share of misses, like Beta, Mini-Disc and the likes... this one may be their win, but it will rather shorter lived.

Biggest issue is cost. BR costs more to produce and the player to read. Reason is they (Sony) changed the face, or surface layer to .1mm rather than maintain the DVD (and HD DVD) .6mm that had been used for so long. All the tooling needed to be redone to match, as well as the players needed to new inner workings to read the new disc. BR disc having the thinner clear surface layer are more susceptible to damage, so be extra careful.

i just purchased a sharp aquos HDTV 1080p AND a 80 gig playstation3. movies on blu-ray are absolutely wonderful. like looking at a postcard. the playstation3 games are phenomenal also.
i rent blu-ray movies from netflix and a local movie gallery rents them also.i bought the PS3 because it supports blu-ray.one of the best purchases last year other than the busa. new technology rocks.
bump.gif

dude 1080i is basically the same as 720p but even still thats a bas ass picture i don't know why everyone's knockin the "lower quality" high def its still awsome compared to standard def and in the next year or two their bringing out the new tv's that have whats called true color wich is going to produce more colors than the eye take in making the tv outperform our eyes so it doesn't really matter wether you spend the extra grand because your gonna be outdated soon enough thats why i just stuck with my 1080i if you get a 1080p thats great but im just waiting because i already know whats coming

1080p is the latest and greatest technology out there now. progressive scan as opposed to interval scan. you can research it on cnet.com. when i bought my HDTV my thinking was if i was going to spend that kind of money to go with the best out there. as far as the PS3 i bought the 80 gig one because it came with a cool racing game motorstorm and 5 free blu-ray movies. the 40 gig one came with spiderman3 and i wasn't interested in that.i am very satisfied with my purchases. no buyers remorse. all that being said if you upgrade to HDTV 1080p,1080i,720p it will be a much better quality picture than your watching now with 1080p being the best. oh- and i'm not even mentioning audio. supreme. go down to your local circuit city or best buy and check out a blue-ray demo in true high def 1080p. sold.

LOL HD dvd is here to stay guys.. 1 word.. P@RN blu-ray doesn't and HD-Dvd does..

On a side note, Im sorry but PS3 sales pretty pathetic.. I mean how much longer are they going to continue to actually make PS2 games?

PS3 sales are at 5.6 mil and xbox 360 is at 17.7 mil. Hell Xbox 360 sold 4.3 mil THIS LAST QUARTER alone. Not to bad for a system that is older than the PS3.
ohthedrama.gif
I had heard the exact same thing from a dude at Best Buy recently predicting the demise of Bluray within 2 years because of the **** industry embracing HD DVD. He was saying that was the nail in the coffin of Beta back in the day as well?

LOL HD dvd is here to stay guys.. 1 word.. P@RN blu-ray doesn't and HD-Dvd does..

On a side note, Im sorry but PS3 sales pretty pathetic.. I mean how much longer are they going to continue to actually make PS2 games?

PS3 sales are at 5.6 mil and xbox 360 is at 17.7 mil. Hell Xbox 360 sold 4.3 mil THIS LAST QUARTER alone. Not to bad for a system that is older than the PS3.
ohthedrama.gif
well if your going to throw number out there...tell me how many xbox HD adapters sold in the 4th quarter vs playstation 3. The number of x-boxs sold is irrelevant as the 360 doesn't do HD with the extra 179$ HD drive.

The smartest thing I've seen done recently is by HD, which started putting HD and regualr formats on the same disc  
thumb_up.gif
. Now if Blu-ray started doing that too...ew, that might just about do it.
I didn't buy my XBox 360 to watch videos on.. I bought it to actually PLAY games on. If I wanted to watch HD DVDs I would actually buy a stand alone HD-DVD player. Lord knows the quality of a stand alone is a hell of a lot better than any HD adapter or the playstation 3 BLU-Ray has to offer.

I don't goto a car lot to buy a motorcycle and I sure as hell not buying a gaming console to watch movies on either..
laugh.gif

That is why I'm not even thinking about buying any player until the price comes way WAY down and I get a new TV that is 1080P or better if that comes out soon..

Lord knows the quality of a stand alone is a hell of a lot better than any HD adapter or the playstation 3 BLU-Ray has to offer.
the PS3 isn't an adapter on top of a SD platform; it's simply a blu-ray player like any other stand-alone blu-ray machine.

A blu-ray movie through the ps3 using HDMI into a 1080p monitor looks friggin incredible.

Still, if you don't use it to play games, the PS3 has too much of a price premium over a stand-alone player.

You'll always pay less if you wait, and given the short list of movies available in either blu-ray or HD-DVD, I'd have waited if I didn't have to get a PS3 for work (yes, it's a write off)

If either of the HD formats takes hold, the next obstacle will be proper transfers of movies to the format; there are already varying reviews of the image quality of some titles that weren't necessarily fully re-mastered for the DVD release and are now showing their flaws in the HD format.

the PS3 isn't an adapter on top of a SD platform; it's simply a blu-ray player like any other stand-alone blu-ray machine.
Ohh I know this but I still find it hard to believe that the quality of the blu-ray player in the PS3 is up to par as an actual stand alone player for just Blu-Ray. I also feel the same way about the add on HD-DVD player for the Xbox360. I would not buy that for $150 and have to use my Xbox360 to actually watch a movie.

It's digital strait to the TV. It either functions or doesn't. How could a PS3 be any worse at transferring data? If you were using the VIDEO outputs, yeah maybe, but who's gonna do that with an HDTV screen? My PS3, or rather my HDTV looks as good or better than anything displayed in the stores

Absolutely WWJD  
thumb_up.gif

No offense blitz but...BS.

The my playstation 3 puts out blu-ray signal thru an HDMI cable at 1080p...it's jaw dropping period. (the planet earth series is outstanding)

Hell, even the non-blu ray dvds, and for that matter, I got an xbox 360 to, both upscale regular DVDs to 1080p (not true hd) but they look great as well, exceptional pictures.

A stand alone player would just be throwing money away at this point.

The original post had to deal with blu ray vs HD...not the playstaion 3 vs xbox anyway. But you can't tout how many xboxs sold vs playstation 3s (apples to oranges)...you have to compare PS3s vs XBOX HD adapters if you want to drag the consoles into it.

And pron in not going to save HD vs all the other major movie markets.

Absolutely WWJD  
thumb_up.gif

No offense blitz but...BS.

The my playstation 3 puts out blu-ray signal thru an HDMI cable at 1080p...it's jaw dropping period. (the planet earth series is outstanding)

Hell, even the non-blu ray dvds, and for that matter, I got an xbox 360 to, both upscale regular DVDs to 1080p (not true hd) but they look great as well, exceptional pictures.

A stand alone player would just be throwing money away at this point.

The original post had to deal with blu ray vs HD...not the playstaion 3 vs xbox anyway. But you can't tout how many xboxs sold vs playstation 3s (apples to oranges)...you have to compare PS3s vs XBOX HD adapters if you want to drag the consoles into it.

And pron in not going to save HD vs all the other major movie markets.
umm tell me that when you have to shell out another $600 for a new playstation 3 because the player stops working. Trust me I have already went through 2 dvd players in my xbox360. There is no way in hell Im running that thing to do anything other than play games. Wil they play movies? Sure they will.. Were they made to do that primarily? I doubt it.

I was not talking about how well the video is. I was talking about how long the console will last using it like a dvd/blu-ray player. Thank god microsoft is one of the best businesses to deal with. Both times my DVD player stopped working microsoft fixed it 100% free including shipping and gave me 2 free months of xbox live to boot.

I don`t give a shid about that war until it`s settled. I`ll never buy ANY movie for $34.95, period. It`s frigging outrageous. Library has the same movie I can have for free. with couple of month delay but free.

And then I`ll make a divx copy if I like it. No protection will ever hold for long. ;)

Both times my DVD player stopped working microsoft fixed it 100% free including shipping and gave me 2 free months of xbox live to boot.
m$ had to do that, btw - the bad drives were a manufacturing defect and they were facing a BIG PR problem. Considering that the Wii stole everyones fire and that the Xbox was actually beating the PS3, M$ didn't want the specter of unhappy users raining on what ground they had. They fixed the problem PDQ, with speed and consideration that you normally would never see from any corporation.

m$ had to do that, btw - the bad drives were a manufacturing defect and they were facing a BIG PR problem.  Considering that the Wii stole everyones fire and that the Xbox was actually beating the PS3, M$ didn't want the specter of unhappy users raining on what ground they had.  They fixed the problem PDQ, with speed and consideration that you normally would never see from any corporation.
Yep my 1st drive was real loud.. The 2nd one was pretty quite and I could hardly hear it. This one I have now is real hard to even hear it run.

You want to really know the funny part of all this, microsoft takes a loss everytime they sell a console. The earn the money thru the back door on game sales and XBOX live sales. I could hardly believe that until I actually read it.

Lets face it all 3 makers are building consoles as cheap as possible with just enough quality parts to actually make them run.

Back