Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
I hate to say I told ya so....

Blu-ray = VHS
HD = Betamax

poke.gif

LOS ANGELES - Blockbuster Inc. will rent high-definition DVDs only in the Blu-ray format in 1,450 stores when it expands its high-def offerings next month, dealing a major blow to the rival HD DVD format.

The move, being announced Monday, could be the first step in resolving a format war that has kept confused consumers from rushing to buy new DVD players until they can determine which format will dominate the market.

Blockbuster has been renting both Blu-ray and HD DVD titles in 250 stores since late last year and found that consumers were choosing Blu-ray titles more than 70 percent of the time.

"The consumers are sending us a message. I can't ignore what I'm seeing," Matthew Smith, senior vice president of merchandising at Blockbuster, told The Associated Press.

Blockbuster will continue to rent HD DVD titles in the original 250 locations and online, the Dallas-based company said.

The decision was helped in large part by the lopsided availability of titles in Blu-ray, Smith said. All major studios except one are releasing films in Blu-ray, with several, including The Walt Disney Co., releasing exclusively in Blu-ray. Only Universal Studios, which is owned by General Electric Co., exclusively supports HD DVD.

Warner Bros., a unit of Time Warner Inc., and Paramount Pictures, which is owned by Viacom Inc., release films in both formats.

"When you walk into a store and see all this product available in Blu-ray and there is less available on HD DVD, I think the consumer gets that," Smith said.

The rollout of Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 game console, which comes standard with a Blu-ray drive, also helped give the format momentum, Smith said.

Blockbuster's decision, while significant on it's own, could boost Blu-ray even more if other retailers follow suit.

"It will help shift the balance toward Blu-ray, clearly," said Richard Doherty, president of The Envisioneering Group, a research company.

Sweet. Just bought a PS3 and am loving it now. Here's what I'm doing with it:

- Watching everything on a 50" HD plasma
- playing PS3 free Demo games in HD
- playing PS2 motorcycle racing games with less lag on the plasma [no conversion needed]
- playing CDs, MP3 music with really cool morphing screen saver
- playing DVDs "upscaled" to HD resolutions - does look better than normal DVD
- playing BLU-RAY movies and programs
- free online HD movie trailers
- wifi streaming music, videos, photos, from off my computer
- wifi internet browsing
- accepts major memory cards directly in the front panel

but yeah, Blu-Ray movies was a major factor in my decision. Even though Microsoft is cheaper with the HD, I'm sure consumers trust SONY over MS to deliver a "REBOOT FREE" entertainment experience

I'm very pleased with the PS3 and it's Blu-Ray quality. I plan to wait for BD movies to be sub $20 before purchase. I've noticed BD titles are cheaper most places than HD

I've had my PS3 since March and enjoy all it can do.  I got a bluetooth keyboard and mouse to make browsing the internet easier.  I was hoping blueray would not die.  So far so good.

Oh and dont forget Netflix rents blueray as well. Most of the new movies I get in the mail come as blueray.

I was just going to say...I dropped my first CD in the PS3 and thought the morph screen saver was kewl as sht
super.gif

Ya beat me to it WWJD
egitarre77.gif

justyn you know you can move the right controller around an manipulate the screen saver a little? not much, but kinda fun.

Do any of you know the password for the free month long trial at Block Buster? Are they still doing that?

Back