wally world goes blu-ray only

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
yet again another goes blu...

Wal-Mart Picks Blu-Ray Over HD DVD
February 15, 2008 6:28 PM EST
Wal-Mart Stores Inc. has picked Blu-ray over HD DVD in the market battle for the format of high-definition video.

The nation's largest retailer said Friday it has decided to sell only Blu-ray DVDs and hardware in its 4,000 U.S. stores and no longer carry rival HD DVD offerings.

The announcement comes five days after Netflix Inc. said it will stop carrying rentals in Toshiba Corp.'s HD DVD format and instead go exclusively with the rival Sony Corp. technology favored by five major movie studios.

Toshiba and Sony have been vying to set the standard for high-definition DVDs and players. The stakes are high because the winner will also get a boost in sales of DVD players needed to read the new format.

Several large retailers have come down on Blu-ray's side, including Target Corp. and Blockbuster Inc.

"We've listened to our customers, who are showing a clear preference toward Blu-ray products and movies with their purchases," Gary Severson, head of home entertainment for Wal-Mart's U.S. stores, said in a statement.

Wal-Mart said it will phase out all HD DVD offerings by June. Wal-Mart stores and Sam's Clubs membership warehouses will continue to sell standard definition movies and DVD players as well as converter technology.

Sony has taken a considerable lead in the format rivalry in recent months, gaining the endorsement of The Walt Disney Co., Sony Corp.'s Sony Pictures, News Corp.'s Twentieth Century Fox, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer and Time Warner Inc.'s Warner Bros. Entertainment.

Viacom's Paramount Pictures, which also owns DreamWorks SKG, and Universal Pictures, a unit of General Electric, have opted to release films only in HD DVD.

Still, many consumers have held off on buying a high-definition DVD player until the dominant format is decided.

I wonder where the pron industry is...
rofl.gif

Interesting, we just bought a new DVD player, but its not blueray. Looks like thats the way things are going though. Last time we checked, blueray stuff was quite a bit more expensive. In fact, when we bought our big screem TV with surround sound from Best Buy, they recommended we not get the blue ray player because it was more expensive, and there weren't that many blueray dvd's available. Funny but interesting.

Well yeah..HD is going to be cheap...it's on the edge of worthless. What do you think a betamax video player was worth?

Now I wonder when the HD only movies will be ported over to blu-ray. 2 movies I wanted blu real bad was the transformers and the matrix series (course I really don't like 2 all that much and 3 I could live without).

Ya know if Toshiba and Microsoft really put the screws to it and offered the xbox with an HD drive as standard (like the PS3 and blu-ray) inside the base machine, not some cheasy appandage, even if it cost another $50-100 bucks per player...it would have been a whole different game.

As far as your best buy nerd goes...I don't think he knew wth he was talking about, I find they usually don't.

Thanks for the link on the Blue Ray players. Those are really prices compared to a few months ago. We will probably go with the blue ray set up. I understand most of the blue ray movies are in 7.2 surround which would be nice.

Back