Fork seals leaking?

TXBusa05LE

Registered
Wth?

12SepDSC00004 (6).JPG

Hey Jason, I have a fork spring compression tool. You let me know if you need to borrow, i will be in Dallas on Friday afternoon (9/19/08)

Mine replace at 11.5 k warranty, 30k now, and no problems with replacements
I think it's a common busa trait ???

If you don't have a friend to help, and don't have the ability to safely do it yourself, That $130 is a deal. FYI, Fork seals are the same as they are on the V-Max Yami if you don't have a Suzi dealer nearby!

Wheelies aren't the number one contributer to blown seals. It is trailering or tie down techniques. Compressing the front end with a tie down strap for racing will blow em out also.

Adam & Jerry, thanks so much for the offer!

Got a quote from a local track day hero and shop owner...$130 for seals, fluid and labor...what do you think?

Von Hertell - Road And Track Cycles - Home

If that is what you want to Pay Jason that is Fine I also have the fork tool here at the house. If it were me I would buy the seals and oil and bring the bike up to Austin we can do the seals and then take a ride and I am pretty sure that would be way less than $130 :thumbsup:

If that is what you want to Pay Jason that is Fine I also have the fork tool here at the house. If it were me I would buy the seals and oil and bring the bike up to Austin we can do the seals and then take a ride and I am pretty sure that would be way less than $130 :thumbsup:

Tempting...stand by...:bowdown:

take a credit card with some bounty and get under your rubber on the forks. Clean them out good. If your bike has been sitting for a while they tend to leak. If you have doubts and are picky like me just replace the seal that is broken... I think the seal cost like $12... It is better than having the oil leak to your tire and having to replace your plastics...

Also, check the shock for pitting. If it isn't too bad, you can rub them out with some super-duper fine grit wet/dry sandpaper.

Pitted piston will cause your new seals to wear out faster.

--Wag--

Is it a real PITA to replace the seals? Special tools required? Do I have to remove the forks from the bike?

Only special tool you need is a long 8mm allen wrench to remove the bottom plug. I use a 3/8 drive long shank 8mm allen wrench from Sears.

Yes, you need to remove the fork from the bike.

If you decide to do it yourself, drop me a pm and I'll walk you through the process.

Mine started leaking at about 10K miles. I got mine replaced UNDER WARRANTY.

That's right - WARRANTY. As long as you haven't wheelied it (they will check for signs of hard wheelies on the axle etc...) they cover it under warranty.

Since they were already doing the fork seals, I had them change the springs at the same time. I paid for springs plus a couple extra dollars for labor and I got the forks rebuilt, fresh seals, new oil and 1.00 fork springs for $170.

You just need to find the right dealer because they can influence whether or not it should be covered. All three dealers I talked to in Portland were willing to cover it under warranty, providing they didn't see evidence of abuse (wheelies etc). I ended up going with the dealer that could get me in the soonest.

**EDIT** LOL! Right after I posted I saw that you said you popped 'em doing wheelies. Shame on you :laugh:

Last edited:
Back