Fork seal Question. Sorry if repost

cashtown

Registered
I got quoted what I think was a pretty insane amount to do the front seals on an '05 Busa.

What should I be looking at spending, legitimately, to do this work?

Find a member here near you to walk you thru it. It's an easy job. You should be able to buy the seals for under $30. Save the labor money, no matter how good/bad a deal.

Problem is that I just moved from Houston to the sticks and ALL my stuff is in storage - I have 0 in the way of tools. I couldn't even take the front wheel off.

I've heard it's a pretty easy job but like I said, there's no way I could even attempt it right now.

I'm also not about to wait til June when I move my stuff out from storage to do it and certainly don't want to pony up the $600 that Destination Cycles in kerrville, TX wants, lol.

The service manual is a free download from this site. And the cost of a good front stand(steering head lift, not the one that scoops the bottom of the forks)and the basic tools needed would be less than most places labor too.

Can somebody near Houston help Cashtown swap his fork seals? $600:rofl: that's ridiculos!

Yeah, I understand the idea that doing yourself is the way to go and appreciate your advice. What I'm looking for is a quote from someone who knows what a shop should reasonably charge for this job.

I just need to get it done and done quickly.

thanks

Yeah, I understand the idea that doing yourself is the way to go and appreciate your advice. What I'm looking for is a quote from someone who knows what a shop should reasonably charge for this job.

I just need to get it done and done quickly.

thanks

I'de say $200 is too much. There are alot of reputable folks on here(more than qualified for a forkseal job) I'de be willing to bet one of these folks would offer you to ride up to their home garage to walk you thru it.
You'll have to hang out for a little while and see. I don't know who's in your area, but I know there's quite a few.

In Houston it's no problem - plenty people willing to help out on the local board.

On this board there's alot of great folks, and great bike mechanics. It's gonna depend on how far you wanna ride to somebodies place so they can help you. May not be very far at all, just wait till a few more folks see your post. Especially tonight when there's more people on here.
If that doesn't work, ride over to my house and we'll do em:laugh:I'm a short ride.

Problem is that I just moved from Houston to the sticks and ALL my stuff is in storage - I have 0 in the way of tools. I couldn't even take the front wheel off.

I've heard it's a pretty easy job but like I said, there's no way I could even attempt it right now.

I'm also not about to wait til June when I move my stuff out from storage to do it and certainly don't want to pony up the $600 that Destination Cycles in kerrville, TX wants, lol.

That is just an unreal amount of money to spend to get the fork seals replaced. My mechanic only charges me 200 to do mine. He even looks the bike over for any signs of other problems, cleans and tighten the chain if needed, and cleans the entire bike.

600 is an insane amount. You could go buy the tools you need since your other stuff is in storage and do it for WAY less.

Yeah, I even thought that the $300-$350 from the shop in Houston was too high (and this is the shop that everyone goes to, well, lots anyway). I had $200-$250 in my head from the last time I had them done years ago.

Destination Cycles is the only game in town and Kerrville is a hot-spot for moto-tourists so they rape.

I paid $200 to have mine done, but I pulled the forks and took them to the shop. I'm sure if I'd brought the whole bike in it would've been $300+.

Hey Cash..i have a set of silver stock forks in great shape with good seals. I bought them off a guy here and i used them while i had my original forks re-sprung/new valves and seals. I'm guessing they have about 10k miles or less. I'll ship them to you for $150. It's a simple switch out if you are interested. When you get yours fixed you can always pass them on..

That's a great offer and I appreciate it, but I'm just going to have them done in Houston (call me a poser but I really like the gold forks, lol).

Yeah, i like mine too...my whole bike theme is done around them. But i bit the bullet for about a month while mine were being redone. :laugh:

Back