fork seals how much do you guys pay

dentonbusa

Registered
my 05 busa needs fork seals at 22,000 miles local shop wants 300.00 dollars what do you guys pay i can do alot of maintance but i am afraid of the fork seals.

I'd like to know as well. I noticed this last weekend that my dust seals are all cracked. No fluid leaking yet but i dont know if i want to wait until it starts to leak.

hell for that kinda money I'd take the forks off and send them to traxxion dynamics and have them redone for your weight and riding style. I dunno how much they are but I bet you are at least 1/2 way to having them done up professionally
cool.gif

For another $100 you could have a shop put in completely new springs and gold valves, re-shim and the whole works.

$300 is way too high in my opinion. Take 'em off the bike and ship 'em out to a reputable shop.

--Wag--

whats up with 05's. I have seen many with failed seals. I just bought mine with 1,900 easy ridden miles and the lefts seal is leaking. Good thing the previous owner had the trasferable warranty.

I would say it just depends on how bad you want/need it done and how attached to your money you are. me personally,I f i needed something done I didnt want to do myself,Ill pay whatever the going rate is,if i was worried about how much,i'd just do it myself,but thats just me.

I'm in the same boat. My seal on the right fork is just starting to leak. I'm going with Race Tech springs. I'll take the forks off myself and let a local shop do the work since I don't have the tools I need to do the job proper.

As my Daddy used to said; "when it comes to mechanical stuff, good fast and cheap, pick two."

cheers
ken

like others have said...depends if its carry in or ride in

If its a garage or a dealer.(dealers normally charge more FYI)

there is a write up on this board on how to do it yourself.

It takes about $25 per side for seal and oil. If the dust seal is replaced as well, add another $18. I replace my own and I can easily do one side in an hour. Only special tool needed is a long 8mm hex (Allen wrench) socket to remove the drain plug in the bottom of the fork. A torque wrench is recommended when putting the goodies back together. Other than that, just the tools you'd find in everyones tool box will do the job.

It takes about $25 per side for seal and oil. If the dust seal is replaced as well, add another $18. I replace my own and I can easily do one side in an hour. Only special tool needed is a long 8mm hex (Allen wrench) socket to remove the drain plug in the bottom of the fork. A torque wrench is recommended when putting the goodies back together. Other than that, just the tools you'd find in everyones tool box will do the job.
I dont even have a front end stand so pulling things off myself is out of the question... everyone i knew that could have helped me with this has moved away. My only option is to go have it done somewhere unfortunatly. I need alot of things done, fluids need changed, cush rubbers need changed, i want to go ahead and change fork seals and dust seals too.

Back