For Sale Section

Just an idea here.....

There are about 18,000 members in the list.
If 1/2 of them were current, 9000, and half of them have money that want to stay here, 4500, and half of them have not already donated, 2250 @ 20.00 per head is $45,000.00.

Make a VIP membership at $20.00 annually, and you should not have to pay anything out of pocket. OR, if 2000 people are willing, make it 10.00 per head, 20 grand towards hosting.

I would pay 20.00 per year, cant see anyone that has not yet donated pay to post in here. BUT, I would like to see a few things, like Andy NEVER in a wig and makeup again, the for sale thread opened again, and the auction site set at 10 day auctions max. I could walk from Canada to the USA in 30 days that it is set at now. If guys are not yearly members, dont let them post in the for sale section, or send pm's.

Does that work?

I like the math and that makes sense.

I dont agree with the rules, but hey I could work with it.

CAp I know you hate thinking outside of your initial plan for this site but I really think there is a lot of potential here.

My .02 which converts to a lot less in reality
all_coholic.gif

don't forget to keep the raffles going .... it's free money with little leg work when the items are desireable.
I know the changes lately have kept everyone busy.....but it's selection that's important too.

2 tire raffles a month should be standard ...plus a "suprize" item when possible.
beerchug.gif

Make a VIP membership at $20.00 annually, and you should not have to pay anything out of pocket. OR, if 2000 people are willing, make it 10.00 per head, 20 grand towards hosting[/Quote]

VIP areas create division and and begin to seperate the membership. I had the honor of corrosponding with a long standing member here last night and it was perfect timing. In this discussion this single marine is trying to raise his two daughters by himself and was offering to donate (again) to the site..... This is the exact reason that I will not charge for any access to a "VIP" section of the site. This guy is busting  his hump to do a great job, I have a pretty good idea what he gets paid, how many more are out there living from check to check. This site is about sharing information not locking some out because they didnt have the money to pay. I would never survive owning a restaraunt because every hungry person would eat, thats just the way I'm wired....  There are other options out there, either I need to devote more time to the financial aspects of the site or I need to work smarter, regardless I will not charge a fee to post or read here. A lot of the members have donated in the past, I dont like membership dues, they always make someone mad... Cap has a couple of things up his sleeves so you guys dont worry too much...

As far as the raffles go, the members were hit up with a lot of request for donations, the BV fund, RSD, Pipefighter, I wanted to slow down the raffles a little to let folks get back together.... Besides I gave most of the raffle items away as door prizes at the Eureka Springs get together  
muscle.gif

muscle.gif

I did hear a little negative feedback on the raffles and you know how I am, I try to please the masses and just stop any potential hard feelings before they started...  Fall is approaching and we will see what happens in the next few weeks...

Cap

muscle.gif

you are a great human being Doug, but not a very good businessman.

I prefer the human, if everyone was out for business the world would be crazy.

Keep in mind we (I) are not complaining just publically brainstorming.
beerchug.gif

Guys (and Gals);
Remember, it isn't just an auction site... you can post a buy out price and when some one buys it, it is gone. If we do selling on that site, the donations start to take care of themselves... forget about posting.... how many people have sold or bought things through the .ORG? Why do we need monthly fees or dues or even donations (to the extent that we have needed them in the past) when the .ORG can bring in revenue every time some one sells something here?
Sure a GAZILLION ideas come out now that CAp has started the auction site, but remember, the sales forums have to go down or else people won't post in a place that they are unfamiliar with. How many bikes have been sold?

Remember that CAp isn't doing this to make money, he is doing it in efforts to make the site self-sufficient. If it doesn't work, well - I really can't see how it wouldn't, unless we refuse to help him make it work. It isn't hard guys.... instead of posting in the for sales threads, now we just post it over there.... let's see how well it works before we come up with reasons not to use it....
Just my .02.

CAp,

Donation sent. Thanks for this site! I am a newbie and should have my butt kicked for not donating sooner. The amount of knowledge I have gained about my bike on this site is priceless to me.

I just signed up for the auction site. The process was super easy. It only took me about 2 minutes. Everyone should take the two minutes and do it...

Bryan

The auction site can/will be just like the For Sale forums...I think it could be a great site. If members have suggestions on how to make it more user-friendly, please voice those opinions...

Thanks to those that have registered!
beerchug.gif

(BusaBret @ Oct. 10 2006,06:59) CAp,

Donation sent. Thanks for this site! I am a newbie and should have my butt kicked for not donating sooner. The amount of knowledge I have gained about my bike on this site is priceless to me.
Bret,

Thanks for the donation. It is much appreciated. As the riding season nears its end it will slow the funds coming in. Sponsors sales will be down etc. I hate to see Cap and family sacrifice for our benefit.

Thanks Again
Professor

I think the auction site is a great idea. I just wish I had stuff to sell.
beerchug.gif

(mrninja9 @ Oct. 10 2006,08:22) HOW BOUT I DONATE 10 DOLLARS  A MONTH  JUST LIKE A MEMBERSHIP TO A GYM
Mrninja9,

Wow, that would be outstanding. Don't put yourself in a bind to do it however. Cap has said time and time again, he does not want this to be a pay site. That said, he is not (too strongly anyhow) against taking a donation to help keep things running. I know the Captain would appreciate it but never ask you to do something like that. He would never want to put anyone in a bind or make a sacrifice. 10-50 users sending $5 a month or sending a few bucks when they sold something would make a difference. By itself, it won’t pay the hosting bill, but it will make a difference. Most magazines will cost you $5 and not have 1% of the information that flows through here in a week.

Thanks again for your generous offer.
Professor

thanks to you guys, I am trying to get the site to pay for itself with the auction portal, everyone wins..... The seller makes a buck or two, the board gets a few cents and the buyer knows that they are dealing with good folks.

I dont think I could make it any easlier, we integrated with paypal for those that want automated payments, the mods beat the thing up looking for problems..... If you guys have suggestions just let me know.........

(Ken02busa @ Oct. 09 2006,15:31) auction site set at 10 day auctions max.  I could walk from Canada to the USA in 30 days that it is set at now.
The ability to set long running times in the auctions needs to stay. For instance someone can select say 30-60 days and a buy now price along with a reserve. This enables it to be used as a classified ad. This would be like taking out a classified add in the local paper for about a $1 and only having to pay a very small % extra if you sell.

Once the user base gets up to potential, I can see 5-7 day auctions working very well for some items.

Me likes the idea, oh and auction site is great!
took me like 3 times to list my item then delete it, till i got it right - long live h.org!
smile.gif

Today was a good day for the Auction site, thanks to you that have started to embrace it, we have the traffic on the site, we have the folks that need stuff so this should be just a natural transition from the message board. For those that have not put an item up for sale because they think its too difficult, it takes me about 4 minutes if I have my pictures ready and I know what I want to charge........

It's no harder than posting a pic on the site....

cap

Back