Flat tire fix

CaptHowdy

Registered
Had a flat tire yesterday morning when i started to leave for work. I was wondering if anyone had had any luck with a patch or putting a tube in. I know that replacing it is the best choice but i just put it on there about a month and a half (2000 miles) ago.

I may be overly cautious, but I think I'd opt for a new tire...when you've only got 2, it sucks to have one of 'em fail, so why risk it?

Others may chime in with their personal experiences with patching tires and being just fine...I've never had to worry about that...

Good luck...

One of the patch plugs at a minimum.

It will cost you about $20-25 to have it done if the wheel is off the bike. I usually consider that it could be money spent towards the new tire if it is half gone now.

13.60aplugpatchcombo.jpg

i used a plug/patch previously...i couldn't find anyone who would actually install it so i had to do it myself...here is the thread with the link showing the ones i've used

Yeah thats what i was leaning towards myself but i dont really have the money right now and I need it fixed today or tomorrow at the latest. The bike is the only way i have to get around. That and nobody around here keeps tires that size in stock. I dont trust a patch anyway so I was really looking for some input on having it tubed.

About to call around to see if i can find a plug/patch. Anything i need to know about them before i do, semi? Such as if there is a certain kind i need?

i found mine by just walking into tire and bike shops until a mechanic finally gave me the name of a guy he knew that did his own tires...he gave me those two but i don't have any idea what name brand...most of the tire guys i talked to didn't have any idea what i was talking about...i have heard since then that your best chance of finding them is at a BMW shop but i haven't checked to see if that is true...good luck
beerchug.gif

ok i couldnt find a plug/patch so i tried to find someone that had a new tire in stock. I found a shop that had a shenko r006 (or was it r005?) in stock but i am not familiar with this tire. Anyone have any feedback?

Any autoparts store will cary a plug kit. It's very easy to do yourself. As long as the hole is close to the center of the tire and it is a small round puntcure - as in from a nail. Plaugs work great. I done many a sportbike tire and put 100s of miles on them.

In fact I just replaced the orginal tires off my busa. I got a nail at 2k miles, plugged it & changed them out at 11k.

I hate plugs. Plugs are garbage. Plugs are meant to be a temporary fix. Thats why I didnt even list that as an option. But then again it might buy me some time to order the tire that i want. Ill plug it tomorrow and post my opinion on it in a few days. The worst that could happen is that it starts leaking again, right? As long as i stay under 100mph anyway.

Thanks for the link, bigoltool. But I cant wait for something to be mailed to me. Like I said earlier, I need it fixed today or tomorrow so that I have a ride to work. Thanks anyway tho

(nerfboy @ Sep. 28 2007,16:03) I got a nail at 2k miles, plugged it & changed them out at 11k.
Wait. You got 11k out of a tire. What kind of tire were you running. The most I've been able to get is 6500.

Back