picked up a nail in rear tire

oldbird

Registered
just got a nail in my rear tire and no one around here will patch or even touch it unless i replace the tire i have ridden very easy no burnouts or anything 05 with 1000 miles on it. was wondering if anyone has heard of or used ride-on tire sealant they have a sealant just for bikes and claim no vibes at speed and will not harm alum wheel one customer wrote back he used it at 150 mph with no vibes or problems if the tire was even at half its life i would replace

Bad news I'm afraid..You're gonna have to replace the tyre. They can patch 'em and plug 'em but it's just not worth it ..Its ok to get you home ....Sealant , I wouldn't dream of it . My first Busa on new Pirelli's got a nail , same thing as you. My dealer ( a friend of mine ) said no way ..gotta change it ...
down.gif

On a happier note .. Welcome

Yeah this is the way I look at it. Say worse case a new tire costs you $225 installed, to me my life is worth more than $225. Yeah you could get it plugged/patched and it might hold and you might never have a problem, but is your life worth the chance of what COULD happen?

You could do like me,although I don't recommend driving hard on it, I plugged mine, out of necessity I was 2 hours away/730 at night and had to get home, and have been riding 4 days on it while I wait on my tires from Chaparral Motorsports to arrive. Got both for 231 tmd from cali to ga. I recommend getting a new tire anyway, even if you have to wait. Get those tires online, the local stealership here wants more than 230 for the front oem tire. sigh.

Plug and play only to get your bike to the dealer for a tire change. Busa puts out too much torque to play around with that one.

Yup what the others have said. Sux but it's the ONLY trully safe way to go about it. Either replace the tire or pull two plug wires and only ride on side streets.
smile.gif

Seriously it's not worth it.

thanks for the good advice guys it makes sense when you here it from other busa owners i thought they were just trying to sell me a new tire to make a sale i may have to wait a couple of weeks but i will get a new tire there are enough things out there to worry about without having to worry about my own parts giving out maybe i will just patch it up and practice some long smokey burnouts just to get some use out of the tire what do you think

thanks for the good advice guys it makes sense when you here it from other busa owners i  thought they were just trying to sell me a new  tire to make a sale i may have to wait a couple of weeks but i will get a new tire there are enough things out there to worry about without having to worry about my own parts giving out maybe i will just patch it up and practice some long smokey burnouts just to get some use out of the tire what do you think
That sounds like a good time.
Kev

you could plug it and it would probably hold but do you want a plugged/patched tire underneath you going 150mph+??

nah me neither
race.gif

Most insurance companies WILL NOT pay the policy of an accident if the reason or cause of the accident is due to a plugged tire. ....it just not worth the risk and liablilities...good luck and welcome to the board...
cool.gif

I agree new tire is needed...the plug is only temporary and do not push the bike to hard with a plug....It is more likely to pop out and leak if the tire heats up from some hard riding or HIGH speeds....Don't think I would trust a plug on a bike that can easily get to 170+ mph in a few seconds.....

Back