Flat Spots on Tires

MikeSomething

Registered
Alright... when you get flat spots all the way around in the center of your front and rear tire... I've been told by some that it because I'm not turning enough and that's why, and I've been told by others it because I turn way too much and it's wearing down the sides quicker... WHICH IS IT?!?!

If the flat spots are intermittent such as cuping it is from low air pressure.

If a guy has a tire that is cupping, what is in need of adjustment? Is there a way to know which direction to go with it? For example, if it were cupping, would it need more rebound dampening dialed in?

If the center is wearing flat all the way around.... as said above! You are not riding the bike around enough curves! If it is cupping....as stated above suspension could be worn out or not adjusted to your needs.... read the article it will help!

Post some pics of your tires, sounds like it is the straight roads causing the problem.

This is an excerpt from the article. I understood everything in the article, but still don't understand what should be done in the way of suspension adjustments to minimize the cupping.

Cupping, which is more accurately described as scalloping (see pictures, but we will use the more common term "cupping" here), is a natural wear pattern on motorcycle tires and it will always follow the tread pattern. It is not a sign that you have bad suspension parts. It merely shows that your tire is indeed gripping the road when you make turns (thank you for that Mr. Tire!).

The article seems to state that cupping is simply a natural occurrence that can't be helped, save having the tires properly inflated.

Yeah that is a commonly debated topic. If you ever talk to a motorcycle tire engineer,if there is such a thing, I would definitely ask him.

Alright... when you get flat spots all the way around in the center of your front and rear tire... I've been told by some that it because I'm not turning enough and that's why, and I've been told by others it because I turn way too much and it's wearing down the sides quicker... WHICH IS IT?!?!

Nothing is mentioned about cupping until post 6. It sounds like straight road disease.

Change when there flat in the middle before you see cords an then send them to Busa rider with twisties to finish them off for ya. He probably get another 3K miles out the sides:rofl:

You have normal tire wear... Sometimes refered to as such - "my tire is pretty well squared off" "My tire is square I need new ones very soon" etc. Your tire will not wear evenly. 99% of the time resulting in a flatting section in the middle of your tires.

In theory if you rode in a serpentine pattern equal spacing your time from side to side you would retain the original shape of your tire. But as a practical matter we all ride - even in mountainous terrain - the majority of the time vertical or near verticle hence the increased wear and/or flat spot in the middle of your tires...

And in the immortal words of Ryan Seacrest - Brpo Out!

Back