Flat black paint question

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
I see a lot of these bikes (like the zx-14 SE) and a few harleys comes from the factory with a flat black paint scheme.

What do you do with flat black, I mean you don't wax it or do you? How do you take care of that kind of paint?

Seems like it would be like waxing primer.

The flat black paints are actually a flat clear coat over the color coat. Something similar to this flattening agent
Believe it or not, you can make these new flat colors shine a little, but that isn't what you want if you purchased a flat bike to begin with.

Just use soap and water as normal. Towel dry and ride. No wax needed.

There's a product called Back to Black from Mother's Polish that really lives up to its name.  Used mainly on faded flat or roughside black areas keeps the black looking more enriched.  Even treated well, flat black surfaces can fade more than desired and B2B keeps this from happening.  It works on more things than it says it does too, sort of like Plexus, advertised as a plastics cleaner.

http://www.superiorcarcare.net/mobatrca.html

Dude, if you want to paint your bike in Flat Black and you want to keep it looking good, keeping a matte/flat finish, just use dish soap to wash the bike and never wax it. Dish soap has detergent/degreasers that will remove wax so it isn't good for other vehicles with shiny waxed surfaces but is perfect for flat finishes. I still have a set of fairings that I used for a season or more that were painted flat black. I love the look and it got a ton of compliments.

Back