Spray painting the frame

BigSimp

Donating Member
Registered
I remember someone on here spray painting their frame with some high temp flat black paint. I was thinking of doing this but I cant find the thred to find out the type of paint they used. Also, if someone has done this mod, how is it looking, would you do it again.

rock.gif

VaBusa had a stripe continued across her frame (of course the silver frame already matched the color of her plastics. And someone did do an all black paint job on their frame...but do you not have to completely remove the frame/swoingarm to make it look right if you're going with all black?

I think someone used the high temp black paint to paint their exhaust cans. Personally I feel that if you are going to take the bike apart to paint the frame you should just have it powder coated.

i`ve painted the cans and mids.
but they come off the bike. 2nd for if you take it apart to paint have it powder coated

(Big Wall @ Feb. 01 2007,11:14) I think someone used the high temp black paint to paint their exhaust cans.  Personally I feel that if you are going to take the bike apart to paint the frame you should just have it powder coated.
Other than the plastics I don't think you'd have to disassemble much else. Who cares if the inside of the frame is still gray, you'll never see it. Heck, on polished bikes, it's usually just polished on the exposed areas anyway.

With some good masking, I think the swingarm and frame could be done to a point that only you'd know it wasn't dipped.

Powdering something that big wouldn't be cheap, and the time and expense to remove everything down to the bare frame would be completely out of the budget for someone asking about using spray paint.

I bought a black swingarm off ebay. Plan on painting my frame when the weather warms up.

You best bet would be to buy a used swingarm or get yours powder coated, and spray the frame to match. The swingarm gets alot of abuse with rocks etc. Paint probally wouldent hold up on that. The frame on the otherhand should be fine if painted.

Okay, so how would one go about the actual paint process (conditioner, primer, paint, finish, etc.?)

(BigSimp @ Feb. 01 2007,14:59) I remember someone on here spray painting their frame with some high temp flat black paint.  I was thinking of doing this but I cant find the thred to find out the type of paint they used.  Also, if someone has done this mod, how is it looking, would you do it again.
Good prep is a must. Take your time and it will look like factory.

I used a semi-gloss flat black to match OEM Suzuki color.  Remove seat, L & R fairings. Raise tank. Clean frame, light sand, clean, clean, and did I mention clean? Then primer. Then paint.

Don't forget, mask off everything you don't want paint on.

Good luck.

P.

05modded1.jpg

Oh yeah, my swing arm is next. It has to come off though, so I am having it powder coated.

P.

Tom, i have an extra arm. Your more than welcome to use it to get it powdercoated as long as i get another arm back eventually. That, or i can have the powdercoat shop down the road do it for you and you just cover the cost. I could match it up to the black frame on my 07'

(Postal @ Feb. 01 2007,12:35) Oh yeah, my swing arm is next. It has to come off though, so I am having it powder coated.

P.
Actually w/ the black/silver paint scheme the silver swingarm doesn't look to bad as is...but we all have the sickness.

I am about to buy a 240 kit from ebay and wanted to paint the frame, I havent been able to find a shop here in LA that I trusted to do the disassembley, powdercoat, and reassemble. Plus The tire kit is like $3000 so I wanted to try and save a little here and there.

yep -- semi flat black is the ticket
thinking of doing it myself
Painted a lot of stuff with it on my last 2 bikes and it looks "right"
Im thinking some scotchbrite pads would be nuf to rough it up as when I did my fender stays on my rsw I cleaned prepped and scuffed it in all at once using brillo pads

Back