Flat black busa

Wouldn't that make it no longer flat?

--Wag--

The hot rod crowd really got that going in the late 90's. Most were using PPG DP90 primer. The correct way to do it is normal basecoat with a clear over it, you just add a flattening agent to the clear when you mix it in the cup. The more you add to your clear the less gloss you get. Flattening agents are used in paint shops to help the metallic stand up in a normal production vehicle. The DP90 works, but will quickly fade because it does not have any UV protection.
This was painted in my shop.

kramer09d.jpg

kramer09a.jpg

Last edited:
From what I have seen the Flat Black is real good for being "stealth" against radar signatures making it much harder to be picked up on radar from long distance, in fact there was a Car & Driver magazine issue from years back that had a Flat Black Corvette with a special Radar absorbing Bra that was invisible to radar at any speed.......The company the made the Bra's was in the business of radar Stealth for cars and Bikes...Flat Black Helmet's are another great Non Reflective surface for radar and Lazer to not bounce off of....

Do you really believe that???? :rofl: :poke:

The hot rod crowd really got that going in the late 90's. Most were using PPG DP90 primer. The correct way to do it is normal basecoat with a clear over it, you just add a flattening agent to the clear when you mix it in the cup. The more you add to your clear the less gloss you get. Flattening agents are used in paint shops to help the metallic stand up in a normal production vehicle. The DP90 works, but will quickly fade because it does not have any UV protection.
This was painted in my shop.

Ah, I see. That would be outstanding. The flat appearance along with the protection of the clear.

I'm likin' that idea.

--Wag--

I'm likin' that idea.

--Wag--

I should add, it is not something easy to do......you can't buff or polish out dust nibs so the booth needs to be clean....AND, your gun technique needs to be good so you dont get blotches of dry and wet application, that would make shiney and dull spots.

Oh, there's no way I'm going to do it! Been too long since I've had a sprayer in my hand!

--Wag--

I should add, it is not something easy to do......you can't buff or polish out dust nibs so the booth needs to be clean....AND, your gun technique needs to be good so you dont get blotches of dry and wet application, that would make shiney and dull spots.

In other words find a pro or be prepared to do it twice:rofl:

don't mind me I am not bad with a wrench just don't know nothing about paint an body work

still haven't figured out how that other member gets hes busa to change colors with temperature changes.

+100, a good flat black is very hard to get. And from what I've seen most don't stay looking good for long. As you wash off the bugs you begin to shine up the front.

Back