Fix that wind screen buzz.....

OB_highpwr

Registered
I got tired of listening to the buzz in the wind screen (2300 miles) and decided to do something about it. I also noticed some white residue near the edge of the filler panel above the gauges. A sure sign that abraision of the vibrating plastic parts was taking place.

Step one is to remove the two screws and rubber wellnuts. Getting the wellnuts out can be a little frustrating. The wind screen just pulls straight out, towards the rider, after the fasteners are removed. It was easy to see the source of the buzz as the mounting flange on the wind screen had abraision marks at various locations. I used 1 inch long pieces of electrical tape, wrapped around the edge of the windscreen mounting flange to cover each abraision marked area. I reinstalled the wind screen and the buzz sound is gone. The tape should not be visisble after reinstallation of the windscreen.

You can use the mounting screws to help push the rubber wellnuts back into place and then tighten the screws. A little Armor-All helps to get these rubber parts back into place.

I'm not sure how long this fix will last. If there are any better ideas for a shim material pls let us know.

I think I got lucky . . . I've not been hit with any sort of windscreen buzz. In the streets, on the highway, and the rare moment I've pulled into triple digits, I've yet to hear it. Now, a light click from the motor . . . that's a different story. But, the mechanic that worked on it (for standard maintenance) said he's found Suzuki motors often have these extra noises.

HEY ! I just did that monday and I used electrical tape as well. And its working so far.

woo hooo ... no rattle'n windscreen!

Thanks for the tips guys, mine has 2500 miles on it and the vibrating windshield is becoming very annoying. I will fix it tommorow morning.

Back