First real ride!

MLTMDNS

Registered
Finally got my new to me Busa road worthy and went on a 300 mile ride with a buddy of mine. I like it!
The down side is that I think I need to pull the fuel pump assy. apart and replace the filter as on the way home it started cutting out bad WOT at higher RPMS. The tank is a little rusty and it sat for three years so I kinda expected some problems but was hoping to put off more work till winter.
I can see why you guys like these things so much- comfy, stable, handles better than me, oodles of rideable torque, and has a rocket ship mode that doesn’t try to jackhammer you over onto your head!
8194F7EB-189A-42CE-BDE4-76D287AFE725.jpeg

Bike looks great. A couple of people may give you hell for having the factory fender and reflectors still on. I think it looks great just the way it is.

Finally got my new to me Busa road worthy and went on a 300 mile ride with a buddy of mine. I like it!
The down side is that I think I need to pull the fuel pump assy. apart and replace the filter as on the way home it started cutting out bad WOT at higher RPMS. The tank is a little rusty and it sat for three years so I kinda expected some problems but was hoping to put off more work till winter.
I can see why you guys like these things so much- comfy, stable, handles better than me, oodles of rideable torque, and has a rocket ship mode that doesn’t try to jackhammer you over onto your head!
View attachment 1585061

Glad you like it. Your’s is different from later model Gen 1s but every bike that has sat for too long needs to have its fuel system cleaned properly from the cap to the injectors. There should be no hiccup thru all the gears and every rpm. Smooth locomotive like acceleration awaits you!:race: I run Chevron with Techron almost exclusively and add a lil Seafoam occasionally as well. Seems to work well for me.

Bike looks great. A couple of people may give you hell for having the factory fender and reflectors still on. I think it looks great just the way it is.
Thanks but those things are kinda why I bought it, still has the sticker on the tank too! I’ve bought a couple new bikes in the past and hacked all that stuff off and do agree they look better, but this one is kind of a classic I think.

Thanks but those things are kinda why I bought it, still has the sticker on the tank too! I’ve bought a couple new bikes in the past and hacked all that stuff off and do agree they look better, but this one is kind of a classic I think.

I returned the body of my bike back to stock including the forementioned parts. Im gonna put the stock exhaust back on for a bit but I have to adjust my rearsets to do that.

20180823_133343.jpg

Glad you like it. Your’s is different from later model Gen 1s but every bike that has sat for too long needs to have its fuel system cleaned properly from the cap to the injectors. There should be no hiccup thru all the gears and every rpm. Smooth locomotive like acceleration awaits you!:race: I run Chevron with Techron almost exclusively and add a lil Seafoam occasionally as well. Seems to work well for me.
You’re right for sure. I got a few good WOT hits out of it but reality set in when she started dogging out. I’ve got the parts ordered for the filter R@R and some juice from RUSTECO to clean the tank. The RUSTECO worked pretty well on my GSXR 1100 a few years back and is harmless to paint.

View attachment 1585061
That bike will be a collectible someday , it looks great.

Removing something that can be replaced is one thing but modifying an OEM piece on a 99 would not be wise. I still have my reflectors and pegs and bars and bar ends, not that I have a 99 but still.

Removing something that can be replaced is one thing but modifying an OEM piece on a 99 would not be wise. I still have my reflectors and pegs and bars and bar ends, not that I have a 99 but still.
Don’t you have spare change after selling the cbx? Buy the copper 99 that’s on eBay and put it in your living room. Lol!

I guess I’ve got enough room! :D I actually know a guy in Sacramento that has a 1981 CBX, never run OEM show bike in his living room. Whatever miles it has on it came from rolling in and out of trailers. The 03 Ducati I bought with just 1,000 miles on it was in the dining room of a Montana ranch house on a tender.:cool: The only copper 99 I saw on eBay is highly modified and not returnable to an original. If I ever need a full set of plastics I may go with the 99 paint scheme though.

I guess I’ve got enough room! :D I actually know a guy in Sacramento that has a 1981 CBX, never run OEM show bike in his living room. Whatever miles it has on it came from rolling in and out of trailers. The 03 Ducati I bought with just 1,000 miles on it was in the dining room of a Montana ranch house on a tender.:cool: The only copper 99 I saw on eBay is highly modified and not returnable to an original. If I ever need a full set of plastics I may go with the 99 paint scheme though.
https://m.ebay.com/itm/1999-Suzuki-Hayabusa/283142608618?hash=item41ec9d56ea:g:BgkAAOSw011bj-md

The guy claims to be the second owner and says he has all OEM parts to be put back to stock. Is not zero miles though.

Oh zero miles would be out of my price range. This one doesn’t look like the one I saw (2 copper tops for sale at the same time)? but even this one has holes drilled in the side fairings. Doubt I’d get another Busa unless it’s a Gen3. What I’d really like is a sweet lil
DBD8FDC4-222B-4D28-89EA-4EB10A559DAC.jpeg

Honda SL350 from yesteryear but one of those in proper condition is pretty expensive too if, one could be found.

I found the one I referred to, the really modified one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Suzuk...292371?hash=item2f21e7a613:g:HjcAAOSwm9lblbrE

Last edited:
Oh zero miles would be out of my price range. This one doesn’t look like the one I saw (2 copper tops for sale at the same time)? but even this one has holes drilled in the side fairings. Doubt I’d get another Busa unless it’s a Gen3. What I’d really like is a sweet lil View attachment 1585074

Honda SL350 from yesteryear but one of those in proper condition is pretty expensive too if, one could be found.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Suzuk...292371?hash=item2f21e7a613:g:HjcAAOSwm9lblbrE
No holes, Look closer. Those are “slider” style fairing bolts like the ones sato racing makes.
That little Honda looks awesome, but it would probably make you miss your CBX even more when you experience the lack of power. Lol

Oh zero miles would be out of my price range. This one doesn’t look like the one I saw (2 copper tops for sale at the same time)? but even this one has holes drilled in the side fairings. Doubt I’d get another Busa unless it’s a Gen3. What I’d really like is a sweet lil View attachment 1585074

I used to really want a red SL350 when I was about 15/16! Never happened. Instead my first bike was a used 73 Yamaha 360 Enduro that my brother sold me in 74.

Thanks for the replies guys! One conundrum I have is weather or not to replace the aluminum subframe with steel (already bought one from a member). I’d like to mount hard bags. One side of me says that it hasn’t broke in almost 20 years, the other side says what if it does. I’ve also been eyeing some stock cans I’ve seen for sale on here.

Back