first oil change done!

I got the 2 retainer plugs out but having problems splitting the front lower cowling , it is to the point that I use a little more elbow grease to get it off , or am im missing somthing else to get it off , Help
Those two little black retaining posts you see remaining in that photo is what is keeping the two cowling halves together even after you've removed the two push-pins.

Approaching the bike from the right-hand-side as you did in this photo below. Use your thumb to push the retaining post (circled in yellow below) straight upward until it clears the cowling, and the chin area should separate (ASSuming you've removed all the other fasteners/pins/etc).

Now, don't be shoving that post upward too much, as you don't want it to snap off from the inside... these two little chin retaining posts do an important job; don't damage them. Just gently press the retaining post upward just enough to clear the cowling, and the two halves should separate.

K8_CowlChin.jpg

super.gif
AM -->
Dobieman @ Apr. 16 2008 said:
1376891[/ATTACH] AM]
You guys trip me out, work harder trying to work around the fairing than learning to pull it off.
Really, take your time and use the PowerPoint presentation pinned at the top of this forum with pics of the fasteners and locations and learn to remove it. If not I see old filter gaskets left in place causing leaks, filters applied with out required torque, lots of oil left all over the headers. It is daunting the first time but be patient and do not pull at stuff hard. If you dont feel like you cant do it with the pictures in that Power Point instruction you should probably let the dealer do it. For those who do remove the plastic, put some grease on the grommets before reinstalling and it will be much easier going back on and off again next time.
All excellent advice. The only way to "become one with your Busa" is to take the time/effort to do it yourself.

While you can change the oil by just propping the right cowling outboard, this method doesn't really give you a good, clear unhindered view of the oil filter, neither does it give you a good view of all the surrounding components.

Just from a preventative maintenance perspective, I'd be removing the cowling. This allows you to examine the entire right side of the engine bay, affording you the opportunity to spot and correct a small discrepancy before it becomes a bigger problem.

super.gif

Just did mine and I have to say after having the fairing off the 1st time, the 2nd oil change it seemed to come apart much easier, it's like the the fairing needed broken in and now it just slides apart.

Warchild , thank for the info ,i got the bottom finally split and was able to get my oil filter wrench on top of the oil filter so i know I can get it off tommorow, Thats a $65 savings thanks again

Back