First Mod

I think Mike Valentine is selling two versions now, the improved model and the latest ‘new and improved’ model. :laugh: Mine is the upgraded so called older version which works quite well. Keep in mind that anyView attachment 1638597View attachment 1638598 basic unit has sounds and lights, neither of which you can see or hear at speed on a bike. Great for in the car but not on a bike especially in bright sun. They also sell a small unit called an audio adaptor which is required for wearing earbuds. I got tired of wearing those years ago and bought a ten LED light display from this guy (Motorcycle Radar Detector Visual Alert) that connects to the audio unit that Valentine sells. I give up knowing which radar band is activated but I’ve learned how to use the V1 over the years well enough that I don’t need to know. Around here for example, almost all traffic cops use Ka band. Some city or county cops use K band but almost never these days. X band is useless and I can tune the V1 to ignore useless hits.
I really appreciate you taking the time to write this out. I’m sold on the detector and the visual aid. Just have to make sure to disconnect it when traveling through Virginia as they are illegal there.

Gotta be honest, I have a Beltronics STI Magnum. I have the same amount of tickets riding with or without it (0 tickets). Most cops around here use Laser in traps anyway and I have to conceal the RD so it is ineffective on the laser. If I didn't have it I wouldn't buy one.

Get the latest and greatest. It's close to $500, but is about 1/4 the price of a ticket if you know what I mean. Has the better rejection of false signals like newer car electronics radar for cruise control etc. Also, download the app for your phone called JBV1. There is also an app YAV1, but I think it's kinda buggy. They are Bluetooth for connection to your phone and the Valentine. That Valentine has saved my rump from many tickets even picking up radar from the side. I have never used the visual aid, just the audio from the apps. When the YAV1 works though, it's super fast on the radar warning interrupting all the stuff you have running real fast, faster than JBV1. JBV1 has its bugs too and has logs on what radar, lidar, and where and is more dependable.
Thanks for the informative reply. I will look into investing in one now. I see @groran1000 suggested the valentine. Which model of this brand would you suggest?

Last edited:
Is it not common for it to be illegal to have 'detector' devices these days...certainly is across most of Europe... though here in the UK we can still have them for now.
Sad thing is the little roadside speed signs , roadworks STOP /GO signs and even some traffic light systems trigger them nowadays so the damn things beep non estop.

Back