DREMEL tool for Hump Mod

outlawd94cobra

Registered
Anyone have a preference in the different DREMEL models and the CRAFTSMAN Rotary Tools?

Buying a Dremel today, but wanted to know what model everyone else had. Plus, i ran into some Craftsman rotaries, and just wanted peoples opinion on those since i noticed some of them didnt have a adjustable speed knob.

My first task with either tool would be the hump mod/grab bar. Im too lazy to keep switching off.

How often do you change them on/off?
Varies as to which girl wants to ride on the back.

SHHH, just dont tell my wife.
laugh.gif

I have a Dremel with variable speed
I also use the cutter that is used to cut out
Electrial boxes in sheetrock. you can find them
at home depot in the tool dept (works great)

I like to have the grab bar their just in case I have
something to haul I can put the seat on and strap it
down

I have a Dremel with variable speed
I also use the cutter that is used to cut out
Electrial boxes in sheetrock. you can find them
at home depot in the tool dept (works great)

I like to have the grab bar their just in case I have
something to haul I can put the seat on and strap it
down
with that cutter did it feel like you had good control ie. cutting design in hump
rock.gif

Watch your speeds as it will melt the plastic (can be easily broke off). I also used blued painters tape on both sides to avoid chipping the paint.

beerchug.gif

I got a nice knock off dremel from target(cant remember the brand.) At work I use a real dremel cant tell the difference between the 2.

I got the Craftsman one. It has two speeds and was cheaper. The dremel tools can be used with it if needed. I cut square corners on my hump, but I saw pictures where someone had rounded their corners and it had a nice finished look to it. I think he rounded them with a file. Definately watch out for flinging melted plastic.

How did it turn out?   You have to post pics, it's the rules.
laugh.gif

You dont want to use a cutting wheel. YOu would want to use the "zip" drill bits used for cutting sheetrock or wood. They allow you to cut it out like youre drawing with a pencil. The grinding wheels will jump out of the cut and fuk something up.

You dont want to use a cutting wheel. YOu would want to use the "zip" drill bits used for cutting sheetrock or wood. They allow you to cut it out like youre drawing with a pencil. The grinding wheels will jump out of the cut and fuk something up.
That's only if you don't know what you're doin. . . I used a cut off wheel and it turned out perfect.  No problems, perfect cuts, straight, exactly where it needed to be. . . Everything was good.  You just have to know what you're doin.

1121072247b.jpg

1121072246.jpg

OK, here's the pics.

I picked up the Cordless Dremel 10.8V from Home Depot right before they closed at 9PM and started the prep on the hump soon as i got home.

I used Delicate Painters Tape (Blue Tape) and taped off the whole cowl minus the just the section that needed to be cut so i wouldnt scratch or scuff anything. I also only triple taped around the edges of the area.

I used the "arrow shaped" grinder to drill holes in the upper corners of the area needed to be cut....

Then used those "flat circle" grinders for the straight edges....

after the piece fell off, then i used the "roller" sander that looked to be the smoothest grit i had, cleaned up, and rounded all the inner edges.....

went back to the "arrow shaped" grinder and touched up the corners using the tip.

it only took me about 45 minutes from prep to finish. If i had to grade myself, i'd give it a grade of a B+ in terms of finished product. Forgot the sandpaper to do some of the finishing touches by hand, but it looked fine to me. I'll hit it up again tomorrow with some sandpaper, and wax the cowl.

Only thing i've noticed is that i didn't gradually keep going back and forth grinding a little here and there, test fitting, etc, i just used the measurements i took which were exact. For some odd reason, the gear side of my hump doesnt really meet as tight with the rear fairings like the brake side does and its left a much bigger gap than the other side. oh well, next time i'll know.

BTW, i didnt go past the "2" on the variable speed Dremel. I had my wife hold the cowl for me while I used two hands on the Dremel to keep it as steady as possible.

SS850216.jpg

SS850214.jpg

SS850209.jpg

SS850208.jpg

SS850218.jpg

Dremel with variable speed and a cut-off wheel for both hump mod/grab bar and Airbox mods. But take great care
beerchug.gif

hump_mod.jpg

That's only if you don't know what you're doin. . . I used a cut off wheel and it turned out perfect.  No problems, perfect cuts, straight, exactly where it needed to be. . . Everything was good.  You just have to know what you're doin.

1121072247b.jpg

1121072246.jpg

<!--EDIT|gmmech07|1202876811-->
Yea sure, but you run a chance of the wheel jumping out. I use grinders all the time and most of the time i mess up with them.
umnik.gif

Back