First Hayabusa

Jake Boucher

Registered
Hello, my name is Jake. I've been a motorcycle addict since I was 16, so 3 years lol. I've owned probably 28-30 bikes, I buy and sell them quite often. I just picked up a 2002 Hayabusa, and it's my first one. It's in really great shape, just needs some love after sitting for a long time. It sat for a few years in a shed. So the little bit of gas that's in it has with out a doubt, gone bad and varnished in the fuel system. It needs a front tire, chain, and tune up. It has 17k miles in it, came with Corbin Beetle Bags, and a few other things. One owner and all stock, seemed like he toured on it for the most part For $2400, I know I can have some fun and make some money. Getting it running should be pretty straight forward, but I may be back with questions!
received_1506946836014198.jpeg

I've been a motorcycle addict since I was 16, so 3 years lol. I've owned probably 28-30 bikes.

That is amazing and bit a humor. You're way ahead of the game:) with a good eye for a great deal.

Hello, my name is Jake. I've been a motorcycle addict since I was 16, so 3 years lol. I've owned probably 28-30 bikes, I buy and sell them quite often. I just picked up a 2002 Hayabusa, and it's my first one. It's in really great shape, just needs some love after sitting for a long time. It sat for a few years in a shed. So the little bit of gas that's in it has with out a doubt, gone bad and varnished in the fuel system. It needs a front tire, chain, and tune up. It has 17k miles in it, came with Corbin Beetle Bags, and a few other things. One owner and all stock, seemed like he toured on it for the most part For $2400, I know I can have some fun and make some money. Getting it running should be pretty straight forward, but I may be back with questions!View attachment 1573130
Welcome to the family

:welcome: to the ORG. I would be a bit nervous of the rear tire tbh if it's been stored a few years coz of UV aging. Wouldn't hurt to check out how old the tire is and if it's over five years old scrap it, better that than a major blow out :(

Here's how to check how old it is and sorry if I'm teaching Grandpa how to suck eggs :lol:

The date your tires were made will be on the sidewall in the form of four numbers usually. These numbers represent the week number and year, so 3410 will be week 34, 2010.

Tire ageing is commonly identified by small cracks, known as crazing, which appear in the tire sidewall. This is brought about when UV light oxidises the rubber causing it to dry out. While tires contain anti-oxidising chemicals which significantly slow down the rate of ageing, this wax-like substance is only released when the tyre is in motion. Therefore, if the tire is not used frequently or is stored away ineffectively, they will age more quickly rendering them unroadworthy when returned to use.

If it's only got 3 numbers then bin it anyway coz it was made before 2000!! o_O

Ride her like you stole her but....take care :laugh:

:welcome: to the ORG. I would be a bit nervous of the rear tire tbh if it's been stored a few years coz of UV aging. Wouldn't hurt to check out how old the tire is and if it's over five years old scrap it, better that than a major blow out :(

Here's how to check how old it is and sorry if I'm teaching Grandpa how to suck eggs :lol:

The date your tires were made will be on the sidewall in the form of four numbers usually. These numbers represent the week number and year, so 3410 will be week 34, 2010.

Tire ageing is commonly identified by small cracks, known as crazing, which appear in the tire sidewall. This is brought about when UV light oxidises the rubber causing it to dry out. While tires contain anti-oxidising chemicals which significantly slow down the rate of ageing, this wax-like substance is only released when the tyre is in motion. Therefore, if the tire is not used frequently or is stored away ineffectively, they will age more quickly rendering them unroadworthy when returned to use.

If it's only got 3 numbers then bin it anyway coz it was made before 2000!! o_O

Ride her like you stole her but....take care :laugh:

It was stored indoors, I know the front tire is shot. Rear tire didn't look bad at all, but I'll double check it. Once I get her cleaned up I will post some better photos. I need to pull the tank and clean the fuel system out, already bought some spark plugs for her. I have a feeling they are going to be fouled at the least.

It was stored indoors, I know the front tire is shot. Rear tire didn't look bad at all, but I'll double check it. Once I get her cleaned up I will post some better photos. I need to pull the tank and clean the fuel system out, already bought some spark plugs for her. I have a feeling they are going to be fouled at the least.

Best be on the safe side Jake and check it out as a blow out could cost quite a bit if you drop her, especially as you have already splashed out on........spark plugs :lol:

Best be on the safe side Jake and check it out as a blow out could cost quite a bit if you drop her, especially as you have already splashed out on........spark plugs :lol:

Hey hey I bought some oil too! I told y'all I'd double check it! Once I get a break from work, I'll have this puppy ready to ride.... I mean put new tires on it :D

Oil as well :eek:, you be careful Jake, look after the cents and the dollars look after themselves :lol:

I almost bought a front tire too, but I'll wait to get it running before I put more money in her. Also, my wife might beat me up in my sleep if I spend too much money in one week.
I was in deep Busa thought last night, and I realized I never heard the fuel pump whine when I turned the key. When out and turned the key, and no fuel prime. So I'm going to check the fuses after work, anything else besides a bad fuel pump that would cause problems with it? Also when I turned the key, a message or something popped up on the top center LCD. I barely saw it, I thought it was a check message of sorts?

I almost bought a front tire too, but I'll wait to get it running before I put more money in her. Also, my wife might beat me up in my sleep if I spend too much money in one week.
I was in deep Busa thought last night, and I realized I never heard the fuel pump whine when I turned the key. When out and turned the key, and no fuel prime. So I'm going to check the fuses after work, anything else besides a bad fuel pump that would cause problems with it? Also when I turned the key, a message or something popped up on the top center LCD. I barely saw it, I thought it was a check message of sorts?

Just check the bikes not in gear Jake coz this stops the pump priming :beerchug: other than that it could be a whole host of things, if it continues do a search on the Org and if nothing pops up then put it in it's own thread :)

Just check the bikes not in gear Jake coz this stops the pump priming :beerchug: other than that it could be a whole host of things, if it continues do a search on the Org and if nothing pops up then put it in it's own thread :)

Good info, thanks. I'm pretty sure I had it in neutral with the clutch lever pulled in. I'll pull the tank, then check fuses, and grab a multimeter to check the wiring. I hope she has a fuel cut off switch!

So I have a fuel pump in the bottom of the tank, and of the 4 wires in the plug, I'm getting 5 volts at the most from one wire. The rest are below .1 volts. I need to find the relay now!

Back