Figure this out.....Solutions please!!!

theshnizzle

Rainbow of Skittles
Registered
If one were to buy a bike far away from their local area,say really far, ( 4 day drive) from a private seller and one was going to have the bike shipped by a motorcycle shipping company, how would the seller and buyer exchange payment for the bike?

Seller wouldn't want to release the bike until payment is received and buyer wouldn't want to release payment until...blah...blah...blah...

Any idea's or scenarios to figure this one out.? Seller has been contacted, seems like a straight up guy....Buyer is a straight up guy.....What could a comfortable solution be for all parties involved.

And saying to walk away is a cop-out, there ARE good honest people out there and sometimes deals are to be had through private sellers, of course it's just how to facilitate such a sale....

WoW, good question. I know I couldn't buy a vehicle without seeing it first. Yes there are some good people out there, but there are also A LOT of scumbags too ? My father went to buy a Bass boat that he saw pic.'s of 7 hours away, but when he got there it looked like pure DOO-DOO. My dad asked what happened to the boat in the pictures, and the guy said, "that's it, I only had the pictures of the boat from when I first bought it". But the guy told him it was in mint condition. Wasted money on a LOOONG TRIP.

How about PayPal ? I never used it myself, but don't you have some control of the money even after it's in their account ?

Last edited:
I would want to see it also. See if there are any members that live where the bike is, maybe they would go look at it for you. Saw an ad in the paper for a great deal on a harley, found out it was located in England and the guy was shipping it back to the states. He had vin #'s seemed like a good deal. called harley and they said the vin # was sold in fla and they had no record of it being shipped to England. the regional mgr for Harley was in London at the time and said he would check it out. I told the guy that I had a friend that would stop by and check the bike out, was not able to contact him after that. Big scam so be careful, good luck

Yeah, maybe bad news sight unseen...lots of scammers...

But giving him the benefit of the doubt, a lot of people use a trustworthy well known escrow company. I've seen scams involve escrows before, but I would check with your bank and local shop and see what/who they suggest and if that's a reasonable way to go.

I ran into this a few years back when I bought a used GSXR750. I called the seller's local Suzuki shop, explained to them my situation and asked if they could give the bike a good look for me (for a fee, of course). Called the seller and asked him to drop it off there for a day so that they could go over the bike. The seller indicated to me that the bike was "in perfect condition" and the shop confirmed this for me, which really put my mind at ease. I had it registered here, in my home province, got insurance, flew up with a license plate, and drove my new baby home with no problems. :cheerleader:

If I were buying, I'd fly there and ride the bike back home. If your investing in this bike and seller knows you plan to immediately ride cross country, he should be responsible enough to let you know bike's true condition and/or potential maintenance issues.
Posted via Mobile Device

Good tips from Winterhater above :thumbsup: Below is what I did
1. have seller take the bike to a dealer you pick to have a PPI (PrePurchase Inspection) done. Bike passed with flying colors except for rear brake pads (seller paid to have it replaced). Dealer then gave me a copy of the PPI report (my expense)
2. schedule bike for transport (I used Allied Federal: enclosed trailer, bike strapped on a pallet, insured, door-to-door)
3. use an escrow service to process payment, here's a sample https://www.escrow.com/index.asp (NOTE: I do not have 1st hand experience with this):
4. bike is delivered to your driveway

I followed above steps when I bought a bike via ebay last year (seller from PA, me in CA) EXCEPT I did not use an escrow service. I asked for a picture ID, residence address, phone number which I verified before I mailed payment via check. Seller waited for it to clear then helped me with shipping (I was in MD for a conference while all these was going on, I timed it so that I was close enough to the seller in case "snags" came up).

Will not lie to you, I took a very big risk sending payment without a bike in front of me (probably 1st and last time I'll do it). When I was shopping for a Busa, I bought LOCAL this time.

Last edited:
For shipping checkout uShip - The Online Shipping Marketplace - Ship Freight, Furniture, Vehicles or Moves Register an account then just post what you need shipped and you will receive potential bids from people who'll deliver it to you. You get bids from small business shippers as well as larger companies. I've used this site twice. Once for a Kawi Ninja and the second this past winter for the busa. If I remember correctly it cost me $250 to have it shipped from southern Florida.

PayPal or send check that at any time you can stop payment on. But PayPal will take the money from you but won't release it to him 'til you have bike in hand. Thus as a third party. Or pre-write a contract stating all conditions. Fax to seller to sign, mail back to you (to have original signature) and then send money.

have him put it on e bay and do the buy it now and e bay will hold the funds for 10 days to see if its worth it ( i believe thats true i was told that)

with flights so cheap these days, just book a flight down and do the deal, arrange for a shipping company to pick it up the same day or the next.

dont be stupid fly there and make sure it is a good bike for the price then just have it shipped you can take it to the shipping company while there.:rulez:

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gene...1-great-starter-bike-extra-bike-somebody.html

I just sold my neighbors bike for him on eBay .
We are in Florida and buyer was in Texas.
He paid us thru paypal . Once money is in your paypal Acct sender cannot retract payment .
Only way for him to get his money back is if you decline the receipt of the money. Once in your paypal Acct and you request to withdraw it to your bank Acct it's yours , that's it .
Buyer was wary of 'trusting' us so what I did was send him a notarized promise to deliver as well as a copy of my neighbors drivers license .
Buyer asked me like forty questions about bike . All of which I answered . We also talked on phone many times . Bike still had loan on it so even after he paid me and i shipped bike I still had to payoff loan and wait for title to send to buyer .
All went well but at some point yes your gonna have to trust him if nobody local can go see bike and buyer .
Maybe an org member can take your payment to seller and get bike for you? Someone here more well known you can more easily trust ?

There are still good people out there .

Ask your bank to escrow the money for you at his bank. When you receive it you let the bank know and they release the funds.

send 75% of the money then when bike it in hand send the rest, if you know the guy. Or say where the bike is and someone on the org could go check it out for ya :beerchug:

Use escrow service. Funds go to the service - bike goes to buyer - buyer excepts bike - escrow releases the funds -- Buyer does not except bike - he is responsible for returning the bike in same condition before the the escrow will release funds back to buyer.

This service cost money but is worth it. Both sides must judge the other to be dealing in good faith. Or it's a big waste of time and effort but you will only lose the cost of the escorw service.

Back