FI light and occasional slug spot

Revolution

revolution custom paint
Donating Member
Registered
geared up on entrance to highway into second or third and felt like i hit a patch of one foot deep mud for about 2 seconds.

i was like "what tha f*", then the Fi light was blinking while i was on the highway. the bike "sludged out once more for a second or two then seemed ok. the Fi light stayed on.

this all happened within 5 minutes.

i then pulled over, shut the bike off and restarted it. everything went back to normal. no FI light, and no sludge hiccups.

the next day it happened again, and remedied the same way.

what do you guys think is up?

when will/should i be able to pull up a code?

Sounds like maybe some small amount of sludge/crud somehow worked itself into the FI system and it managed to pass it....Just a guess...

Revolution,

I've had something very similar. I would describe it as revs just drop completely for a moment and then come right back. Really, the engine would die for a moment and then restart. The FI light stayed on sometimes. Once it was so bad I coasted to the shoulder. The FI light was ON. I shut the bike off, waited a few min, and it started OK. No FI light.

So, something very similar to what you describe. Except, my problem started years ago. It would happen once a year, then few times a year, and then few times a month, and then few times during the ride.

Not gonna bore you with disconnecting PC, and checking other stuff. What I really found was this: there are a few connectors right above the front sprocket and almost below the fuel pump. One of them was filled with some sort of oily stuff - I still can't figure out what it was or how it got there (fueld leak, or somehow lube from the chain got on there - who knows?). Oiled connectors combined with vibration from the engine would occasionally open the circuit which produced the effect above. I cleaned all of that the best I could with Q-tips and alcohol and what not, and the problem went away. Put lots of duct tape around a bunch of those connectors, including TRE and zip tied so nothing can get in there in the future.

In light of all that crap, I installed a permanent push-switch under the hump so I can press it and see the code really quickly if something like this happens again.

Hey rev
Same problem here. It was dirty fuel injectors. Double check this there is a white plus under the tail section on the bilke. It a jump plus that will show error codes ont eh dash. You will have to remove your drivers seat and it will be tucked down inside the tail between the sub-frame and tail plastics. It has a white plug with 2 wires running into it and will have a rubber cap over it. one you find it move it up to where's it easy to get to. Take the bike for a ride a get the code to pop. DOnt turn the bike off (will reset the codes) Jst take a paperclip or jump wire and the codes will falsh up on the odometer. Then just do a search for engine codes. Thats should help.

hasn't happened on todays trip. but i'll do what you guys said. thanks!

Back