fence question

red1100cc

Registered
i live on an acre of land with fences on all sides. on the western and northern side of my property, on all but a 20' section the boards face away from my property. i have been told the only part of the fence that is my responsability is the 20' section with the boards faceing in twards my property. is that correct? the weather and last weeks 70mph winds are working on the fence. i need to know who is responsable for fixing it, me or my neighbors.
im new to this whole land owner thing, and could use soms advice.

thanks for your help.

heres a few pics.

pics nov 2010 832.jpg

pics nov 2010 833.jpg

pics nov 2010 834.jpg

pics nov 2010 835.jpg

Get a 2x4 and put it across the top horizontal beam and screw it in. Cost ya $10 tops and fixes regardless of who's it is. Easiest way to go IMO

i would guess the fencing that you see the structure is yours, finished side showing is neighbors????

I like the idea of attaching a 2 x 4....pressure treated though!

i would guess the fencing that you see the structure is yours, finished side showing is neighbors????

I like the idea of attaching a 2 x 4....pressure treated though!

Thats how it is supposed to be, But you never know with some neighbors

talk to your neighbor....over the years,due too many factors fences can be built in the wrong spot. they are not always built on the property line.

Rules on fences on property lines vary from county to county and state to state.

In Georgia, some counties, if a fence is built on the property line and no one objects for (I forgot the number of years), the fence can become the property line and no one is allowed to take it down.

Laws and rules change all the time, check with a local survey company they should know what the current rules/laws are.

However, I concur with getting with the neighbors and every body fixing the fence together if no one wants to claim it.

well one neighbor is handicapped (where the fence is broke), and the other is a jerk (where the fence is about to break). guess sence i dont really talk to either, i will take over and claim it.

:watching: stay the heck out of my yard :rofl: jk

i thought you fenced your neighbors out, not fence your self in. but i had heard contradicting info from a bunch of my drunken friends. guess i have alot of fence to take care of.:glare: time to steal my daddys post hole diggers.

thanks for the help yall. that question really was random for our forum. not as out there as the math question, but sill in left field.

guess i got my :poke:"suck it up and fix your fence Russ!":laugh:

thanks again.

If you have sidewalks, there maybe "markers" at the property line. They look like pennies with a nail in them. Just be sure to be on the line or the "jerk" neighbor can have you remove the fence and re-do it.

If you know anyone with a metal detector you could search for the marking rods yourself. They are normally about 5 inches under the surface and mark each corner of your property.

In some counties, you are not allowed to build anything within 3 feet of the property line on each side.

It does vary from state to state. Is it on an easement or definitely inside a property line that can be attached to an owner? At some point permits were pulled to build them (maybe not in your area), in which case that permit spells out who built it by ownership. That does not mean that it wasn't shared in cost at that time but at least you get a starting point.

What is typical, but not necessarily law is that all owners that benefit from the fence, also have to be shared in maintenance/replacement responsibility of said fence.

If it comes down and it is shared by 4 properties, then 4 properties split the cost of replacement. Which is all well and good expect it is not enforceable as law in may areas and if one person says they don't have the equal money to repair it you get into it getting sticky.

Fences make good neighbors......until they come down.

Sorry I have owned 3 properties with common fence lines and when the hurricanes came and took it all, it became a nightmare.

The neighborly etiquette rules should allow you to go talk to the neighbors and discuss the equality approach....unless of course you don't have the money yourself, in which case, they will be looking at you.......*sigh*.

Life ain't so fun sometimes.

Most cases fences are suppose to be put up where you see the fence posts are on your side. Planks on the outside. Reason is it gives a clean look for the neighborhood etc... Call and check with the county/state about the laws. I'm sure there is some. That might clear up on which fences are who's. I wouldn't go reporting anyone if they are found at wrong. They simply can just take it down then,leaving you without a fence.

thanks for the help yall. i'm taking responsability and am fixing it myself.
my road is another matter. :laugh:

:poke:ahh home ownership is grand. :rofl:

I would redo the fencing and put up some better looking on both sides fence. Or get a cordless drill and a box of screws and goto town. Your current fence needs help.

Back