False Neutral Fixed for Y2K??

OB_BullDog

Registered
Has this been taken care for the Y2K bikes?

I have heard alot of people complain about the 1st to 2nd and 5th to 6th false neutral in some cases.

...or is this the riders fault? as I now I have done it a few times....

[This message has been edited by BullDog (edited 12 December 1999).]

I wonder if this was part of breaking in . . . I had it occur several times from 500 miles to 1500 miles or so, but not since then.

Bulldog I think false neutrals are just a part of riding. I've been getting them forever, no matter what bike I'm on.

IMHO "false neutral" is a euphemism for "missed shift." The only way to avoid false neutrals is to shift more positively every time.

Since I went to reverse shift pattern and started shifting up by pressing down, I've had no more false neutrals.

Bulldog, just SHIFT LIKE A MAN. When I test drove the busa, it shifts like butter compared with hondas. The shifter takes more abuse than you can give it. It took me a while to get used to it, but no more false neutrals.

Sounds good! I shouldn't have a problem then, because my old 1100 is a ***** unless you hammer the shifter...newer bikes are a dream to shift compared to mine. Mind you the tranny has come ALONG way in the last 10 years! It just sounds to be a repetitive problem, was just wondering if it was certain riders...or all busas!

My experience was the same as Dingo's. The false neutrals only occurred during the run-in period. After the 1000km service, it has not happened even once.
-GB

Aus: Did you change the oil type after your 1000k inspection? Maybe that helped?

Did you go from Pertroleum based to Synthetic? or full synth?

[This message has been edited by BullDog (edited 12 December 1999).]

DP,
I know the how to on reversing the shift pattern has been posted before - long ago, but I can't find it. What all is involved in doing this and is it quick and easy task?

M, it's an easy job with just one stumbling block.

Rotate the front end of the tranny actuator rod on your shift linkage so that it sits on the bottom of the spline instead of the top. It's a 180 degree rotation.

Now you will find that the linkage bumps into the rearward sidestand bolt. You have 2 choices to fix this:

1. The preferred route is to replace that rear sidestand bolt with a dome head allen key bolt (any cycle shop or fastener shop should have it...just take the stock one with you), or

2. Grind down the head of the stock hex bolt such that the shift linkage has clearance AND you can still get a socket on it.

Now you are one up, 5 down.

Back