False Neutral

Busa204

Registered
Took my baby in to get the tranny fixed since 2nd gear was slipping. When the engine was taken apart & the tranny dismantled, you could see the obvious damage done to the shift fork that is associated with 2nd & 6th gear. 2nd gear was actually in decent shape, while 6th gear was looking beat up. Only thing I could think of that would cause the damage would be the false neutral between 5th & 6th gear.

Just wondering if anyone else had this cause your 2nd gear to slip?

I'm getting most everything replaced, since I plan on keeping this bike. Already up to about 2k with parts & labor.....Question is, do I want to undercut the tranny? That will end up running between 4-6 hundred more.

I've read the best fix is after market components and under cutting second gear. I've seen post where guys get bullet proof tranny's for 2K.

I would definitely get second undercutnately get second undercut

Your in South Florida like me give this guy a call Kevin: at Blaise Cycle 305-654-8114. I95 south Ive dairy rd west to 1st light make u turn u r there.

Thanks big coop, I already checked them out..They are a bit pricey & the turn around time was going to be a month or so..I'm only goig on 2 days without my bike & Im arleady getting the shakes
crazy.gif

As far as undercutting goes, the damage caused to my shift fork wouldnt have been stopped by undercutting 2nd gear. That is why I was asking since this wasnt the root of my problem, should I get it done anyways. I was actually hoping to get every thing done for 2k, that was tranny fixed & undercut. That obviously isnt going to happen since I'm already up to 2k now without the undercutting..

I have a 2006 and have noticed mis-shifts (only from 5th to 6th) from the time I bought it new.  Now I have about 1000 miles on it and have taken it in.  The dealership says they could not get it to duplicate and attribute the mis-shifts to rider technique.  No way!  I have been riding for over 16 years and this is the first bike I have ever experienced this on.  Any guidance on the problem or suggestions on how to make the dealership understand would be appreciated.

Shifting from 1st to 2nd and 5th to 6th is a known issue with the Busa. I have hit both several times, usually when I'm in a hurry. It is a problem that can be corrected by the rider, all though I agree with you that it isn't a rider problem completely anyway.

Some say using synthetic oil helps and others will tell you to adjust the shifter. I just try to kick it hard into 2nd and 6th.

(dadofthree @ Aug. 30 2007,15:54) Shifting from 1st to 2nd and 5th to 6th is a known issue with the Busa. I have hit both several times, usually when I'm in a hurry. It is a problem that can be corrected by the rider, all though I agree with you that it isn't a rider problem completely anyway.

Some say using synthetic oil helps and others will tell you to adjust the shifter. I just try to kick it hard into 2nd and 6th.
+1

Do everything he said... oil, adjust, kick your bike
rock.gif
laugh.gif

(SnapAttack @ Aug. 30 2007,22:41)
(dadofthree @ Aug. 30 2007,15:54) Shifting from 1st to 2nd and 5th to 6th is a known issue with the Busa. I have hit both several times, usually when I'm in a hurry. It is a problem that can be corrected by the rider, all though I agree with you that it isn't a rider problem completely anyway.

+1

Do everything he said... oil, adjust, kick your bike
rock.gif
laugh.gif
Hey
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I get the green light going to 2nd- usually when I am tromping on it - it has happened, even when I am paying strict attention to my shifting action.
I have also gotten some sort of clunking between downshifts too. Not good when your on the track burning into a corner.
I thought (and still kinda think) that its my error. I have gone to synthetic-- helped some, but its happening more frequently now.
I have 8200 miles on my '06
"kick yer bike" hmphhh
rolleyes_extreme.gif

Just an update, I got my bike back after only 5 days at the shop! Gotta hand it to the guys at Champion down in Davie, Florida for getting things done quickly. It cut down on my withdrawls
tounge.gif

I now have all the parts they replaced. They went over everything they did before & after they did the work. One of my shift forks had some major grooves in it from that false neutral between 5th & 6th. It was so bad that it was making my 2nd gear slip out. The 2nd gear itself had very little wear to it, nothing like 6th. What was strange is that I never had a problem with 6th gear slipping out.

Well after 2k later, they replaced 3 gears, 2 shift forks, shift drum, all seals, all gaskets, did a valve tune, & a bunch of other maintenance work to it since it was apart.  I've been riding bikes for over 25yrs, so I don't consider myself a n00b (too much), but I was told to be more aware of shifting more firm & to use synthetic oil.

That false 5th & 6th has to do with the dogs  not lining up right & if you don't shift firm enough, you will get that false neutral often. Also, the 2nd gear isnt undercut like some other bikes out there which will also cause that 2nd gear to become more damaged over time with poor shifting.

I did get 24k out of my tranny so I don't feel too bad.  I do plan on keeping this bike and eventually adding to the busa family with an '09 or '10 busa.

Alrighty then, got close to 21K on mine, and coming up on factory warranties end.
SHOCKED.gif
not that they cover trannys.

Ya my factory warrenty ran out. My bike is an '04, with 24k on it.  The 2k dollars hurt, but it was well worth it.  I live on my bike when I don't work (which is alot considering Im a Firefighter/Paramedic & only work 2days a week).  
brave.gif
The bike runs smooth as the day I got it.  No price can be placed on the sanity riding saves me from loosing on a daily basis
biggrin.gif

How far south dude, you in the keys. I guess you're just another adrenaline junkie too.
laugh.gif

I work four on four off
super.gif

I'm just south of Boca Raton..15mins north of Ft. Lauderdale. Small city of Coconut Creek.

Yes I do love the speed/power of the busa, but I think it's just the feeling of being on the bike. Bah, who am I kidding, I LOVE THE SPEED!

"I work four on four off"

Sounds like a police officer or a hospital worker schedule to me....Either way, you gotta love all those days off in a row!

I went to the dealer about this a while ago (06 le) the first thing they say "that's all from rider error", I tell them I talk to people on a Busa forum, and a lot of them have the problem as well ? then they say "that's the first I've heard any thing about the Busa having shifting problems", can you say, YEAH RIGHT !!!!!

Back