false neutral??

06dream

Registered
hello,

i just bought a 2006 hayabusa with 400 miles on it. the past couple rides shifting fast under load, (read rapid acceleration) there seems to be a "neutral" between 5th and 6th gear. with the clutch fully engaged, the engine revs like neutral. pull the clutch and pull the shifter again and it'll get 6th. when it happens, then i back down a couple gears and try to do it on purpose and it won't do it.

any thoughts? i'm pretty suprised considering the low miles on it. i've put about 400 miles on it myself since i bought it, and only noticed it this weekend...

hello,

i just bought a 2006 hayabusa with 400 miles on it. the past couple rides shifting fast under load, (read rapid acceleration) there seems to be a "neutral" between 5th and 6th gear. with the clutch fully engaged, the engine revs like neutral. pull the clutch and pull the shifter again and it'll get 6th. when it happens, then i back down a couple gears and try to do it on purpose and it won't do it.

any thoughts? i'm pretty suprised considering the low miles on it. i've put about 400 miles on it myself since i bought it, and only noticed it this weekend...

My 09 did it when it was new, shift it like you mean it, or shift without the clutch.

great. thanks for the replies, nice to know i don't have to drop another pile of coin on the table to enjoy this great ride.. :D

question... shifting without the clutch?? how, why, and wouldn't it cause some damage? i've been riding for quite some time, always use the clutch...someone enlighten me on this process??

question... shifting without the clutch?? how, why, and wouldn't it cause some damage? i've been riding for quite some time, always use the clutch...someone enlighten me on this process??

I always shift with the clutch, but most here will tell you it's OK to shift without the clutch. The few times I tried shifting up, it worked fine.

I always shift with the clutch, but shift like you mean it. The Gen I trannys like authority. :laugh:

Shifting without the clutch is performed by accelerating and when your ready for the next gear, apply upward pressure to the shifter and then slightly let off the throttle. at this point the trans will shift to the next gear and you can immediately re apply throttle. the throttle is moved in one quick motion. let off slightly and then get back on it.

Put your foot under that shifter and let it know you want to switch gears NOW You may find you have the same problem going into second, When I first got my 07 it did the same thing, Then I did this. :laugh::laugh:

She knows when its time to shift now
===================================================================

MISTY ALL AROUND 012.jpg

I have a 04...Mine did it as well,,,,,,,,I found a hayabusa site 6yrs ago That stated it was normal and would didsappear around 1500 miles,,,and it does,,I was told that is was the trans matting,,there were alot of guys who had the same problem like you,,Mine went away just as instructed,,,I wouldnt shift hard or beat on it,,,It will go away on its own,,no use in bending anything,,,,just hurry up on the 1500 or so miles,,,keep shifting up and gear down,,,easy,,,it will be ok,,,,,and read your owners manual break in period section,,,It tells you to keep your RPM moving around so that the rings dont set,,,,,and Dont exceed [ I think 5500 rpm until 600 miles or so then , no more than about 8000 rpm until after 1000 miles,,,,enjoy the bike,,,,,Oh yeah,,first oil change and service at 600 miles

Last edited:
I have a 04...Mine did it as well,,,,,,,,I found a hayabusa site 6yrs ago That stated it was normal and would didsappear around 1500 miles,,,and it does,,I was told that is was the trans matting,,there were alot of guys who had the same problem like you,,Mine went away just as instructed,,,I wouldnt shift ahrd or beat on it,,,I will go away on its own,,no use in bending anything,,,,just hurry up on the 1500 or so miles,,,keep shifting up and gear down,,,easy,,,it will be ok,,,,,

WTH

You mean I didnt have to make a one off, Custom Spike Gear shift. :banghead::banghead:

:banghead:LOL,,,,,,,,, demmy
your bike looks sweet,,,,I gotta go by the book,,,,I dont have deep pockets brother

:banghead:LOL,,,,,,,,, demmy
your bike looks sweet,,,,I gotta go by the book,,,,I dont have deep pockets brother

You are right, It will go away after a few miles,

As for those Pockets, The only thing deep about mine is they have holes in them. :whistle:

I have hit a false Neutral a few times. Just think i didn't get it in gear hard enough. between 2-3 & 5-6.. On a 09 Busa, Im monitoring it closely. It doesnt happen often but it has more then once
I just hit 11K

thanks so much for the replies guys. i feel much better. i have it at the shop getting first service, and the manager, who i've become great friends with and who'se been a moto gp racer in his younger years, suggested adjusting the shift lever down as well. i'll try this, and other than that, i guess i'll "man up" and show the busa who's boss... :D

thanks again.

thanks so much for the replies guys. i feel much better. i have it at the shop getting first service, and the manager, who i've become great friends with and who'se been a moto gp racer in his younger years, suggested adjusting the shift lever down as well. i'll try this, and other than that, i guess i'll "man up" and show the busa who's boss... :D

thanks again.

Remember, I am not saying jam it in, just be firm and deliberate with your shifts.

Back