Factory Wheels

Zewski

Registered
I am looking to have my wheels stripped and I want to polish them and I have some more plans after that that I will post, but, I want to see if anyone can help me with the best way to polish the factory wheels. I need a really high shine. Is this possible?? Any help would be appreciated!

Polish the whole rim? Have fun with upkeep. I would chrome them before polishing the whole rim. Maybe stick to the outer rim area and paint/leave center. For daily driver anyways. Just my :2cents:

I used to polish wheels (and a lot of other stuff) for a living. It's a long involved procedure, you have to remove all the rough cast surface (including the nooks and crannies) then you have to polish it. We used a 5hp flex shaft grinder with a 6" diameter by 1" width cotton buff wheel and 240 grit Formax compound for the rough surface stuff. Then the same size wheel with a bar chrome polish for the main surface polishing, and small cotton buffs on an air die grinder for all the small places. It was an 8 hour job with all the right tools (we charged $300 per pair 15 yrs ago). Then your a slave to the upkeep forever, 2 hour hand rubout with Mothers alum. polish after every ride to keep them looking pristine.
Have fun.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I guess I will let the cat out of the bag a little early. I am going to polish them and then have them anodized in red. (to match the bike) I have a friend that did this to an R1 and it is amazing. Looks like blue chrome on his bike.... he paid to have the wheels polished. (cheater!) The anodized coating required upkeep, but nothing like raw aluminium. I will post pics after the winter, I am just trying to find out how much work I am going to have to do. Thanks!

Several folks here have polished their wheels. Took probably the better part of a weekend to get it done. Perhaps a search is in order.

Back