Factory warranty and a TRE?

Jayhawk

Registered
Any dealers ever give you guys a hard time for installing a TRE? Just wondered how, or if, it will affect a factory/extended warranty.

Thanks.

Nope, in fact had a dealership install one when the bike had about 250 miles on it.

Nope, in fact had a dealership install one when the bike had about 250 miles on it.

Thanks. I've got an X-TRE on order, and was a little sheepish about installing it if it was going to void the warranty. Do you recall what your dealer charged you to install? I know there's potentially a difference in the amount of labor to install one on a B-King vs a Busa, but perhaps it will give me a ballpark.

Didn't charge me a thing. I bought some other stuff and they were nice enough to ask if I knew how to put it on. Being the newb that I was I told them no and they decided to show me. Couple minutes to get the driver seat off and the tank propped up followed by plugging the TRE in then putting the tank down and the seat back on. Maybe 10 minutes worth of time.

Didn't charge me a thing. I bought some other stuff and they were nice enough to ask if I knew how to put it on. Being the newb that I was I told them no and they decided to show me. Couple minutes to get the driver seat off and the tank propped up followed by plugging the TRE in then putting the tank down and the seat back on. Maybe 10 minutes worth of time.

Cool. The dealer was so happy to finally get that damn B-King off the floor, perhaps he'll do the same for me. Thanks for the info. When it comes in, I'll give the dealer a call.

It's one of those things you can simply unplug before you warranty it out.(never know it was there. If your not sure where to plug it in watch them. Hardest part is lifting your tank. If you manage that the rest is cake!

I would pull it off everytime it goes in for dealer service. It's one of those things where "yeah it's cool", till they are confronted with a repair and start looking for ways to get out of it. Read the fine print in your contract. No doubt it has a modification clause in there. If Suzuki can find a way out of repairing your bike they will and it may not even be the dealers call.

I would pull it off everytime it goes in for dealer service. It's one of those things where "yeah it's cool", till they are confronted with a repair and start looking for ways to get out of it. Read the fine print in your contract. No doubt it has a modification clause in there. If Suzuki can find a way out of repairing your bike they will and it may not even be the dealers call.

+ 1 !!!!! I was in the service area one time at the dealer I bought my bike from, and a guy just got one put on, by them, and was picking it up. When he was paying for it the guy says "you know that by installing this you void your waranty". The guy was like "why didn't you tell me this BEFORE you charged me to put it on" ? Then the mechanic showed him how to unplug it, and told him to do it before he brought it in for any work.

Point taken. I'll try and unplug before any service done. Might slow down the guys in the shop a bit on their post work "test rides". :whistle:

Back