Extra Fuel

cruzinZ

Registered
I just got done reading the thread about a member building a new trunk for the GenII. It got me thinking... with the amount that I use the storage under the rear passenger seat of my bike I dont really need that much storage. Just enough for registration paperwork and the tool kit. What I'd much rather have is additional fuel for longer trips. I have saddle bags, tail bag & a tank bag for luggage.

Any ideas on how much fuel would be able to fit under the rear? I ride 2 up a lot and would need the clearance for rear suspension travel. Hoping for a gallon or two if possible. I'm assuming that the custom tank would have to be custom built for this project.

Last edited:
they did this with a GSXR1000 in an old sport bike magazine (I think it was back in 2007), with the passenger seat and factory tail installed the custom aluminum fuel cell held 0.94gallons. The busa tail is much larger and I think you could probably get 1.5-2.0 gallons in there and still get the hump/seat to fit. If I recall what they basically did was build a fuel cell to replace the plastic tray (bolted to factory mounts for the tray, then they ran a braided hose to the vent line from the tank, put a small vent/breather in the cell, and because the tail was lower than the level of the gas in the primary tank they where able to just put fuel in the primary to fill the secondary. I believe they also filled the cell with foam to prevent the gas from sloshing and throwing the rear of the bike off balance. I always kinda wanted to do this but never got around to it. If you do it, please post a tutorial so the rest of us lazy guys can copy you :laugh:

BTW they did it for some race they where participating in so they could go more laps before pitting. If I recall, it gave them a huge advantage, but it would work if you just want to extend the range of your bike.

Back