Newer info on bags?

Blacksmith

Registered
I did a search for tank and saddle bags but they're all 2012 and older. So any opinions on newer luggage? I like the looks of the RKA tank bags so anybody here with a review on them? And I'm in no hurry but looking at saddlebags too but they'll BW something I rarely use so they have to look good and be easy to remove... to much to ask? Any info is appreciated gents

I think the Corbin bags look best but they are crazy expensive ($2100).

Blacksmith, Lots of brand choices for soft saddlebags: Corbin Beetle bags come up for sale once or twice a year on this board. But much too permanent & you're altering the look of the Busa. Didn't want to do that.

I've used the RKA saddlebags the last 15 years and sold quite a few kits to members here.
Reason why the RKA works particularly well with Hayabusa owners from the myriad of brands is the straps are very thin Velcro straps you can lay over the tail section and then put your hump back on. I always travel with the hump on - so I wanted a set that would work with the hump. You can also move the bags a wee forward and rest them on the rear passenger pegs (provided no passenger) and the passenger pegs will support the weight of the bag - I'm always carrying too much stuff anyway. Expandable RKA 50L bags with plastic inserts for the 'extended mode'. RKA does also make a slightly smaller 30L version.

RKA is also local just north of San Francisco, over by Santa Rosa, CA, so if you've got any issues, just send them back to RKA and they'll fix whatever issue you got. Broken zippers, straps, etc. When you buy china stuff, if there's an issue you, just throw it away. Buy higher quality stuff and you can keep it for many years with the maker to back it up.

RKA also makes the bags in any custom color you want - I always had black, but I sold yellow, blue, red, to other riders matching their bikes. They also offer matching tank bags, and the Magnetic works really well on the busa steel tank. I never liked strapped tank bags, regardless the brand, the straps slowly wear out and the plastic clips break, but that's just me.

I've traveled 100,000+ miles on the Busa with RKA bags. I did put Racer Tape over the rear side panels left & right, then added another protective layer with non-slip Tool drawer liner: Grainger or Home Depot sells it:
to form another protective layer to protect the tail plastic. Sell the bike, you can just peel the Racer Tape off and your clear coat hasn't been rubbed off by the soft bags.

RKA Luggage: Home Page

My third busa came with a Renntec rear rack and top case, so running a Givi Blade top case on this new bike.

45691903341_6c818d562a_o.jpg
DSC04100 by Tim Mayhew, on Flickr

44966991364_7070326052_o.jpg
DSC08508 by Tim Mayhew, on Flickr

44966995654_0a0ff855a2_o.jpg
DSC05623 by Tim Mayhew, on Flickr

44777423225_7e30bfe461_o.jpg
DSC08469 by Tim Mayhew, on Flickr

31819350708_98325dc0b9_o.jpg
DSC08492 by Tim Mayhew, on Flickr

45691923971_727a2a5c57_o.jpg
DSC05697 by Tim Mayhew, on Flickr

It's always great to explore newer options for tank and saddle bags, especially if you're looking for something stylish and functional.
If you appreciate craftsmanship and quality, you might find leather guide for beginners at Leather – Best Types, Full vs Top Grain, Buffalo vs Cow & Care Tips an interesting read. Although they focus on leather, it can provide insights into the world of bags and luggage in general.
Finding the right combination of looks and functionality for saddlebags can indeed be a bit of a challenge, but with some research and recommendations, you're sure to discover the perfect fit for your needs.

Back