Expatriate?

LC4CARL

Donating Member
Registered
Empty nest. House should be paid off in three years. The PNW is beautiful. The house is new and a good fit. And yet…

At midlife (56), the workload is becoming oppressive. It’s all we do.

U.S. healthcare is an early retirement concern.

Any suggestions regarding living expatriate? Can it be done cost effectively?

Empty nest. House should be paid off in three years. The PNW is beautiful. The house is new and a good fit. And yet…

Depends where you want to go really......

All the grass looks greener across the fence...until you get there....sometimes it's better the evil you know.

I considered Ecuador at one point.

I considered Ecuador at one point.
I know lots of ex-pats who live all over the world and each of them say there are good and bad things where they live...

A buddy of mine moved to Costa Rica after his divorce....he lives in a condo on the beach, has no car but a driver who takes him anywhere he wants, he has a cook and cleaner who comes in, he has a bar stool at a local pub and a different girl any time he wishes......

He said it's hot and humid and when it rains, it rains but he doesn't care as he has air conditioning and when it's raining, he calls up a girl to occupy his time...

Where he is there are lots of tourists who at times can be a pain in the arse as they are everywhere and take over.

I have another buddy who lives in the Philippines and he bought a hotel/bar....he loves it especially since he married a Pilipino lady and lives in her family's village.

I've read about "golden ticket" visas in Greece or Puerto Rico (can't remember exactly), that give one unlimited EU access. And about amazing realestate deals in remote villages where the state is trying to encourage people to live. But then you're in back-water Italy or something. Which doesn't sound terrible.

I have long felt that Thoreau got it right about finding adventure in your own back yard. 15 years in the PNW, traveling for work, and I would say that we've seen maybe half of it.

We've got a cushy gig. But both jobs have demanding work loads. I am reading magazines that I got a year ago. It feels like we had more time when we were raising the kids and fixing an old house. Maybe it's just my mid-life crises.

I've read about "golden ticket" visas in Greece or Puerto Rico (can't remember exactly), that give one unlimited EU access. And about amazing realestate deals in remote villages where the state is trying to encourage people to live. But then you're in back-water Italy or something. Which doesn't sound terrible.

I have long felt that Thoreau got it right about finding adventure in your own back yard. 15 years in the PNW, traveling for work, and I would say that we've seen maybe half of it.

We've got a cushy gig. But both jobs have demanding work loads. I am reading magazines that I got a year ago. It feels like we had more time when we were raising the kids and fixing an old house. Maybe it's just my mid-life crises.
Don't forget the economic collapse that happened in Greece....people were rioting in the streets and getting even basic goods was next to impossible....that collapse is always just waiting around the corner...

Italy has a "dictator" in power now and with that comes all the nastiness that a dictator brings to the table...one of which is an anti-English language law coming...

In a few years, you will own your home and with that comes a bit of economic freedom...and you will always have that investment to fall back on.

We got our start in Cedar Rapids, IA. Could buy the old place for $150k. With that done, the gap between now and SSI / 401k, seems doable. But the health insurance is pricey.

My understanding is that healthcare is far more reasonable overseas.

So many factors. Dunno. Just daydreaming.

We got our start in Cedar Rapids, IA. Could buy the old place for $150k. With that done, the gap between now and SSI / 401k, seems doable. But the health insurance is pricey.

My understanding is that healthcare is far more reasonable overseas.

So many factors. Dunno. Just daydreaming.
Depends where you go overseas....there are a lot of places that are overseas.....

Healthcare might be more reasonable but the overall cost of living might not be..

That being said, lots of people do it and love it....

Have you done much travelling in your past?

I've been to all the $hit holes but I've been to many other countries as well...I've seen the good and bad in many of them as a visitor...I'm that guy that avoids the tourist areas and goes to where the locals go...

I have been around, lived several places, from Africa, Europe, Middle East, Far East, Eurasia..

Best place to retire is here in the good o'l USA. Move away from the cities and find a place where the cost of living is affordable.

Wifey is in the medical field and there are programs for folks who cannot afford based on income. No one really is left stranded.

One thing which is important, is the fact that no one realizes how dramatic it can be to pack up a country, leave everything behind you, and start a brand new life. It's not easy and it takes years to adjust to new cultures, friends and the environment. There is a very big difference between visiting a place and living there permanently.

I love the Philippines, will probably retire there (again). I'm a simple man and it suits me fine. Your money goes a long, long way when you go where the locals go. For next to nothing you can hire people to cook, clean, shop, wash your car, cut your hair, any task you can think of.

It's definitely not for everyone, though.

As a Western couple, I suppose you could move there...
But you might be the first!

I was born And raised in another country and even I would have a hard time adjusting back to living where I came from so I vote you find a nice home in a small town with lower cost of living and plenty of backroads to ride. There are way too many things people that have never lived outside of this country take for granted. The USA is not doing as bad as the news make it when you compare to many other countries out there. I agree that insurance is expensive, but on the flip side, think about being in a place that you can’t call for an ambulance or the cops and if you are injured and a Good Samaritan takes you to the hospital, they won’t touch you until someone puts a credit card or insurance info on file. Once that’s done and they decide to help you, if you need blood, a friend or relative has to go to the blood bank, buy it and transport it back to the hospital. Broke a bone, and need plates, screws or pins?…. Just lay in this bed and will see if we can find screws within a week. Not trying to scare you, but like @Bumblebee said, the grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

Depends where you go overseas....there are a lot of places that are overseas.....

Healthcare might be more reasonable but the overall cost of living might not be..

That being said, lots of people do it and love it....

Have you done much travelling in your past?

I've been to all the $hit holes but I've been to many other countries as well...I've seen the good and bad in many of them as a visitor...I'm that guy that avoids the tourist areas and goes to where the locals go...
Never left North American. (Well, ok Hawaii.)

Overall cost of living would be a better measure.

I have been around, lived several places, from Africa, Europe, Middle East, Far East, Eurasia..

Best place to retire is here in the good o'l USA. Move away from the cities and find a place where the cost of living is affordable.

Wifey is in the medical field and there are programs for folks who cannot afford based on income. No one really is left stranded.

One thing which is important, is the fact that no one realizes how dramatic it can be to pack up a country, leave everything behind you, and start a brand new life. It's not easy and it takes years to adjust to new cultures, friends and the environment. There is a very big difference between visiting a place and living there permanently.

Great stuff. I’ve always said that it takes a year to get situated in a new place. Add in a language / culture change and that could take a while.

I love the Philippines, will probably retire there (again). I'm a simple man and it suits me fine. Your money goes a long, long way when you go where the locals go. For next to nothing you can hire people to cook, clean, shop, wash your car, cut your hair, any task you can think of.

It's definitely not for everyone, though.

As a Western couple, I suppose you could move there...
But you might be the first!

I always thought that the Philippines sounded amazing.

I was born And raised in another country and even I would have a hard time adjusting back to living where I came from so I vote you find a nice home in a small town with lower cost of living and plenty of backroads to ride. There are way too many things people that have never lived outside of this country take for granted. The USA is not doing as bad as the news make it when you compare to many other countries out there. I agree that insurance is expensive, but on the flip side, think about being in a place that you can’t call for an ambulance or the cops and if you are injured and a Good Samaritan takes you to the hospital, they won’t touch you until someone puts a credit card or insurance info on file. Once that’s done and they decide to help you, if you need blood, a friend or relative has to go to the blood bank, buy it and transport it back to the hospital. Broke a bone, and need plates, screws or pins?…. Just lay in this bed and will see if we can find screws within a week. Not trying to scare you, but like @Bumblebee said, the grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

Sobering to be sure.

Never left North American. (Well, ok Hawaii.)

Overall cost of living would be a better measure.
Soon your house will be paid, then perhaps you can do a little travelling...having a house paid for is golden...

I read you are in your late '50s.....this is when health care can get dicey....many countries where it is affordable to live generally have poor health care just like @mabupa pointed out...what you spend in health insurance in the US you could easily double this expense in another country...

Back