Exhausted

tlrbandit

Registered
Usually I know exactly what I want and what I am going to do to my bikes, but I am really struggling with which exhaust system I should go with. So, I thought I would put it out there and see what everyone thinks. Keep in mind this bike is being used for sport touring (riding double 1/2 the time) and an occasional track day. I have a 2006 LE White model w/Black Carrozzerria's, wave rotors, reworked suspension by Lindemann w/the rear raised 1". Here are the exhaust systems I am considering and why:

HMF full and slip on: The slip on is appealing because it looks good and can be changed back to stock quickly if needed. The full system is more attractive simply because I believe in if you are going to modify something get as much as you can out of it. It seems silly to go the slip on route when for a few hundred more you can get max hp. with the full system. What kind of power is the full system "really" generating?

Hindle race w/stepped header: Because I know they work! My biggest problem is the muffler leaks at the end cap and it gets funny discolorations. I am having a tough time accepting that for this bike.

Yosh duplex w/dual tip muffler: This has the look I am after, but I am not sure about the performance. The experiences I have had w/Yosh has proven them to be underperformers. If this pipe worked like the Hindle I would get it in a heartbeat. Does it? Does it produce the same power as the HMF or the Hindle?

Arata and Arko are always high on my list but I am not a fan of the way they look on it and the Ti Force moves the passenger peg which I cannot afford to have it do. My wife has pretty long legs and raising the pegs would make it really uncomfortable for her.

So there it is, I am asking for your help, your thoughts and suggestions. Please help me decide before I give up and just leave it stock.

I have the Akra and am VERY VERY happy with it. I think the carbon can would actually go really well with the Black Carrozzerria's, black frame etc.

One of the NICE things about the Akra is that it doesn't just focus the biggest HP gains on the top end like many of the exhaust systems. You will make more power everywhere across the rpm range... which is more useable power that will feel on the street. Also, the fit and finish is top notch!
Here's a pic of my '06 LE w/ the Akra w/ Carbon can...

LE_Akra.jpg

I'm bias, but love the HMF D/H mount. Nice power. Mine tuned in @ 174 rwhp without any major mods. (most that i've talked to get high 160's with them

Riding 2-up is no problem. in fact i can run the bike hard for ever and stick my hand on the can no problem.

Lots of clearence, i do track days when i can get the time and money. if ya scrape HMF then your already down, nad your bike is twisted up!

STEVEN_001a.jpg

I know these are not on your list but,,,I love these and they just look good on the 06 le to me ,,they sound good too
beerchug.gif

100_0316.jpg

I am a fan of the Akro and have one on my CBR 1000 rr with excellent results, I just don't like the way the muffler is angled. I like the muffler to upsweep a little more. Is yours fairly quiet compared to other systems?

The only real drawback to the HMF's is that I wanted to be able to stay with my stock turnsignals and tail light (I like the visibility from behind stock gives you, especially since I will be riding double a lot.). I will say that my wife likes the HMF the most and that is what I am leaning toward, I just didn't want to have to make too many other mods to make it work.

No offense to anyone here, but the one thing I don't like about the HMF is the side-view, which has that "kink" in the pipe that just doesn't seem to flow with the lines of the bike.

I like the look of the dual, carbon Yosh TRS. But that's just my $0.02.

Yosh_TRS.jpg

(tlrbandit @ Apr. 17 2007,14:55) I am a fan of the Akro and have one on my CBR 1000 rr with excellent results, I just don't like the way the muffler is angled.  I like the muffler to upsweep a little more.  Is yours fairly quiet compared to other systems?
Mine isn't quiet by any means, but its not loud and screaming either. It's quieter than my buddy's R1 w/ Akra. I'd guess it might be a LITTLE quieter than most Liter bikes w/ full exhausts I ride with... It's a lower deeper tone, but not obnoxious. (ie I can hear myself think while riding 75 MPH)

I know looks are all preference.... my 2 cents: I think the angle follows the flow of the bike rather well. If you want me to take any specific pics of different angles, just let me know. The digital camera is always handy and posting is just a click away.

(05 Busa LE @ Apr. 17 2007,15:30) I like the look of the dual, carbon Yosh TRS.  But that's just my $0.02.
I agree... I like the looks of the Yosh TRS carbon as well... but Yosh falls a bit short on the performance end...

I really like my modded stock cans. The sound is GREAT and they look good too. I may have them black ceramic coated or something to go with the colors on my 06 LE.

(SpeedGeek @ Apr. 17 2007,15:45)
(05 Busa LE @ Apr. 17 2007,15:30) I like the look of the dual, carbon Yosh TRS.  But that's just my $0.02.
I agree...  I like the looks of the Yosh TRS carbon as well... but Yosh falls a bit short on the performance end...
I don't see em that way, but if you know sometin I don't can you put it up here?
rock.gif

(Cykill @ Apr. 17 2007,16:54) I'm bias, but love the HMF D/H mount. Nice power. Mine tuned in @ 174 rwhp without any major mods. (most that i've talked to get high 160's with them

Riding 2-up is no problem. in fact i can run the bike hard for ever and stick my hand on the can no problem.

Lots of clearence, i do track days when i can get the time  and money. if ya scrape HMF then your already down, nad your bike is twisted up!
+10000... I got the HMF DH Carbon exhaust (running Cykill's map too) and I love it. It's not too loud for me, and like he said, it stays cool after a ride (just don't touch the metal, but the mufflers stay cool). I haven't ridden 2 up yet, but I never heard a bad thing about them for 2 up riding.

Oh yeah, good fix for the turnsignal problem... THese little turn signals are just as bright as the stockers.
wink.gif

HMF.jpg

You might want to consider the Tsukigi SpecII Race system. It's about the same price of most the systems that you posted, and makes some serious power as well. I bought my Stainless/Stainless Oval system from Greg at HPC. He gave me a great deal, and sent me a great PC map for it as well. I am running it with a Pipercross race filter, short velocity stacks, small airbox mod and the PCIII. I took it to a local dyno yesterday to see what it put down, and it made 174hp and 102ftlb of tq. I was very happy with the outcome, and there was no need to adjust the map that Greg sent either, it was pretty much dead nuts for what I needed.

The sound it great, and the build quality is by far one of the best I have seen. The welds are perfect. The fitment is tight though, so you need to make sure you have it all adjusted and set in place, test fit the plastics, and once it all fits nicely, go back and tighten everything.

Just my 2 cents though.
smile.gif

I'll need to see a pic of the long legged wife to get a good idea of which pipes you will need
wink.gif

I have a titanium brock on mine and yes it leaked a lil, until EJ at brocks gave me a great idea a lil permatex ultra copper gasket sealer on the mid pipe- canister connection..now no leaks..and it makes wicked power.

The sound is like sex. Smooth and sweet until you want to get nasty, then it screams to you, begging for more!!!!
firedevil.gif

30tnku1.jpg

if you are like 99%of riders of this wicked machine you just should buy what looks the best to you.very few people even notice the power on top and a slip on will give you a little bump in the middle...i have yosh slip ons and its my opinion that the busa just looks better with dual exhaust.i have a few bikes and have found the cost of a full system to be not worth all the money.

you cant beat yosh as far as fit and finish. i always run yosh on suzukis. as far as hp, it depends on the model and mapping. you will not be able to physically tell the hp differences with pipes if you custom map each pipe. the only way you will be able to differentiate is by looking at the dyno numbers and they too will be minimal. just go with what you like best.
beerchug.gif

Back