exhaust mod

billbell

Jap is where it's at!
Donating Member
Registered
I have seen lately a few people have been taking there caps off there mufflers and drilling 6, 1/2'" holes in the end. 2 between each screw hole. I have quite a bit of time on my hands and not much $$$ right now but I want my bike a little louder. I decided to do the mod. It took maybe 30 minutes, my dremel tool with a cut-off bit, and a drill with a 1/2" bit. It sounds great!!!! And best of all, it was free! I only drove it a couple blocks since I am probably not suppose to be riding since I just had surgery but it seems to run fine. I can't wait to get on her and crack it open to see how she roars! Once again, this is a great place for tips!

I did the mod too. I had a spare set of mufflers from my old bike and it does sound great. Now I can take my time finding out what pipes to get with out being in a hury. I have a sound clip of the mod if any one is interested just pm me.
cool.gif

I just did mine and here are some pics

Step one use a dremel to cut the spot welds on the bolts

First_step.jpg

Here is where I drilled the holes. I drilled 9/16 holes with a step drill bit. The whole thing took around 30 min or so. It now has a little bit deeper sound but not outrageous. I like

third_step.jpg

Yep. that's the way I did it. Definitely better sound then stock!

I did mine a few weeks back too....Sounds pretty good... The only thing I don't like about it is the occasional backfire I get when engine braking. I'm going to go with a full titanium system soon, so it will suffice for now.

Dan

I have 2 sets, one COMPLETELY gutted, and one COMPLETELY stock.

The gutted ones are LOUD ( I LOVE THEM), the stock ones are to remind me why I like the others better.
tounge.gif

Have ya punched a hole in the lower baffle as well, that will allow a greater airflow through the whole pipe, not just the end cap.

jumbo,

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. Thanks for the reply to my question regarding the tools. I was talking to one of my kid's friends about this mod (they hover around me and the 'Busa like bees..........it's teenage boys at their best) and he asked if the Allen bolts had to be re-spot welded after the holes are drilled. Apparently he has access to all the necessary equipment, hopefully legally.

jumbo,

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. Thanks for the reply to my question regarding the tools. I was talking to one of my kid's friends about this mod (they hover around me and the 'Busa like bees..........it's teenage boys at their best) and he asked if the Allen bolts had to be re-spot welded after the holes are drilled. Apparently he has access to all the necessary equipment, hopefully legally.
Prolly could cheat with some lock tite on the bolts when ya put the cap back on

Back