Stock exhaust mod

Varlo

Registered
Well just did this mod I found here in the graveyard of the Mod forums and the bike just sound GREAT!!!

Did 9 1/2 holes instead of 6.

Removed the bolts with a dremel
post-11-03535-First_step.jpg

Drilled 9 instaed of 6 1/2 holes
post-11-05283-third_step-1.jpg

Sorry for my grammar, I'm french, hey nobody's perfect! ;)

Reactions: Zee
Well over here where I live, in Quebec, the cops are on our back when it comes to pipes, often seen in Montreal is to received a modified muffler ticket even if the bike is parked not running and the rider is no where to be seen.

The hubby drilled holes in my stock exhaust too...it's worked well for years and beats parting with $ I don't have for bolt ons
smile.gif

Welcome to the org! Post up pics of your bike
beerchug.gif

Quick question...does this affect the lean/rich settings of the bike?
And does it sound that much better to warrant sitting there with a dremel for a couple of hours? Like I have anything else to do....-14 C.....and more snow....

Cheers,

Tony

(toastman @ Feb. 26 2007,18:16) Quick question...does this affect the lean/rich settings of the bike?
And does it sound that much better to warrant sitting there with a dremel for a couple of hours? Like I have anything else to do....-14 C.....and more snow....

Cheers,

Tony
for the lean/rich I'll tell you in a week, I'm up north too but heading to Daytona next friday. As far as sound goes I found it sounded wayyy better than stock and the mod toke me about 30 min to do with proper equipment, air dremel and drill.

It isn't enough of a difference to affect the A/F ratio (I have 9 3/8" holes). It's more like 10-15bminutes with a dremmel and the exhaust note is definately worth it.

The sound is GREAT!

What I did was drill the front end baffle plate with five 1/2" holes each (long drill bit) and then after removing the rear end beauty caps, drilled nine 1/2" holes in the rear baffle plate, three each between the screw posts. Masked and painted the ends with 1500 degree paint and reinstalled the screws. Doesn't look bad at all either.

The only possible performance difference I (think) I felt was a reduced back pressure feeling on hard decel at high revs. If I did in fact feel some difference, I like it. Not the usual lurch forward when down shifting like the very restrictive stockers seemed to do. Acceleration was not effected. Looooove the sound, really. Would like to hear it from another's perspective and not just from the seat but I really do like it. No pops or swooshie sound, just a nice deep throaty rumble.

I think if you can find a set of take offs in good condition or using your own, you can have a great sounding set of pipes for a fraction of the cost of any 'store bought' slip ons. I'd love to hear some others in a side by side comparo to see what differences in sound there actually is.

Back