Exhaust 101

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
Okay guys/gals -

I am planning on modifying the exhaust on the Busa once I get it...

I want to be heard (remember, I'm used to a Harley!)...minimized my chance of being run over, perhaps?!
crazy.gif
I don't want to spend a fortune on new exhaust, but so far it's looking pricey.

Anyway, the hubby had a question about modifying the exhaust. On the Harleys, we swapped pipes, then had to rejet the carbs (don't I almost sound like I know what I'm talking about?!) How easy is it to swap exhaust on the Busa? What's involved? We want to modify it as soon as we buy it, and want to be ready when the time comes...

Thanks for any info you might have...
Michelle

Well VA, There are a few "experts" on the board that are bound to be along shortly.  However I can offer a couple of basic points.
 There are two ways to go on the Busa, simply replacing the stock Mufflers (Bolt Ons) or replace the whole exhaust system.

By just replacing the cans with some after market bolt ons what you get is the sound you are looking for without any (Or very little) performance gains, via lost weight or increased flow.  Now this may seem like an odd thing to do but it is very simple (about 10 minutes), you get better sound and your Busa usually will require no re-mapping or the removal of the PAIR valve.  A fairly no fuss solution.

The PAIR is an emissions thingi (Technical term) that sits under your exhaust headers and can cause problems (backfiring) when using a full system.

A full system has the benefits of reduced weight, and increased power (sometimes by as much as 10-12 HP).  But, the full system almost always requires a re-mapping of the ECU, or installation of a Power Commander III, removal of the pair and installation of block-off plates, some dyno time, and some will recommend installing an after market air filter such as a K&N to really exploit the more efficiant exhaust.  You will also have to be pulling body work off etc. so there is a fair bit of work involved but you will get real power gains this way.

There you go, to summerize, Bolt on's Cheaper, simpler, all sound no hassle (Mostly).  Complete systems, more money, a lot more work, but real performance gains in terms of weight lost and HP increases.
umnik.gif

Myself?  I am probably just going to buy myself some bolt-ons, either from Yoshimura or Micron.  I don't really feel the need for any more power and I juat want to give my Busa a bit more of a voice.  

This help any? Or am I explaining the obvious?

Rev

I really like my yoshi rs3 race bolt ons! They have really great sound and they look good too! I was experiencing some small backfiring with these pipes so I removed my pair valve and my problem was eliminated. I also removed a friend of mines pair valve on his busa and he told me that his bike seemed to run smoother. He has the same setup as I do. I hope you find what you are looking for. I will attach a picture of my bike so you can see what the yoshi rs3 ovals look like.

IMG13.JPG

One other thing to watch out for is if you modify the full system and remapp the bike, you'll lose your warranty on the whole engine. If you getting the extended warranty and you don't want to void make sure you ask the dealer what mods will do what to the warranty.

:0 :0 Oh my goodness...I know this post isn't for me...but thanks for the info...I sure didn't know that. I'll pass the word cuz 90% of my friends the first thing they do is run and buy a full exhaust... :0 :0

That makes it an easier decision for me as well. I don't need more power anyway... (Did I really say that?
rock.gif
) I think I'lkl get a pair of bolt ons for now and enjoy the warranty until I get ready to really boost the power. I'm still gettin' used to the whole sport bike thing so the busa has way more than enough for now.
muscle.gif

By the way, does Yosh make the RS3 bolt ons *without* all the rivet on badges? I don't really like all that crap stuck on the side of the cans. I'd prefer a cleaner look...

Revlis - you did help...and thanks for using the small words I understand, like "thingi"! I'm not in the market to increase HP...damn, I'm intimidated enough as it is!
tounge.gif

Nice to know about that little warranty infraction before I do something...I think I'll go with bolt ons...seems like that will give me the sound I want, and not mess up the factory warranty.

bird1300 - very nice bike. I like the Yoshis you put on. Mind sharing how much they set you back?

Thanks guys
Michelle

BulletTrain to the best of my knowledge Yoshi RS-3's are only made with the big badge on the side with all the rivets...

Revlis - you did help...and thanks for using the small words I understand, like "thingi"!  I'm not in the market to increase HP...damn, I'm intimidated enough as it is!  
tounge.gif

Nice to know about that little warranty infraction before I do something...I think I'll go with bolt ons...seems like that will give me the sound I want, and not mess up the factory warranty.

bird1300 - very nice bike.  I like the Yoshis you put on.  Mind sharing how much they set you back?

Thanks guys
Michelle
500 plus shipping from www.starcycle.com

VaBusa, D&D makes the loudest slip-ons I've heard.  Trouble is, while the cops tend to turn a deaf ear to loud Harleys (never could figure that one out), loud sport bikes DEFINATELY get thier (negative) attention.  I'm running a pair of LeoVinci cans....they're neighbor-friendly at idle, but give a nice superbike wail when you drop the hammer.
Imagestation.com closed, link removed

BulletTrain to the best of my knowledge Yoshi RS-3's are only made with the big badge on the side with all the rivets...
Here's a thought, for a cleaner look maybe put the cans on the opposite side thus facing the big ole' badges towards the inside? Dunno if that will work or not, bolt pattern may not allow it...

I heard them on MSF's bike when riding with him.. nice sound
smile.gif

Perhaps riding with a bunch of Harleys (and their loud pipes) will help me blend in!?

That's what I figured. Maybe Rev's idea might work. I'll have to check out the bolt patterns and hangers and see if they'll mount on the opposite side. Thanks...
It'll work, I saw a friend of mine some two bros bolt ons toward the inside because he wanted the clean look.

Back