Modifying stock exhaust

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
I removed my Vance & Hines bolt-ons after finally finding that the pipes ordered aren't really made for my 03 Busa...I can have some Microns, Yoshis or D&D's shipped to replace these, but I'm leaning toward maybe having my dealer order some replacement fairings (damaged some when I dropped Caesar in my driveway a while back) in exchange instead of trying to pick out more bolt-ons...

After seeing my V&H pipes, and looking at other after market bolt-ons, I am quite happy with the overall look of my stock exhaust...they stand out and are bigger than others I've seen...only issue is that I want them to be louder so I can be better heard in traffic...I know they'll never sound like Harley pipes, but if I can modify them to be louder, I'd like to go that route...

Anyone here ever tried to modify the stock exhaust? We've done plenty of mods on Harley exhaust and it's relatively easy...the Busa bolt-ons are a bit more difficult to take apart (rivets are spot-welded on)...before we take apart my stock exhaust, I'd like to know if anyone's ever tried this before? Outcome? Recommended or definitely not?

Thanks guys/gals!

I tried this recently and only got mild results. What I did was remove the pipes and from the incoming side I used a long shank drill and drilled 4 - 1/2" diameter holes thru the accoustic chamber allowing some of the gasses to bypass the chamber and exit directly. I found out what I suspected though. The holes were not large enough to allow an appreciable change in flow and all I ended up doing was making it sound slightly louder and a little deeper. Mind you I did not hurt anything but I did not acheive the results I was looking for which was a noticeably louder than stock sound.

Also note that there is no reason to grind the spot weld off of the exit cap bolts and open that end because it is a cosmetic cap. The "real" cap is underneath and is not removeable.

I would guess that if you made much larger holes in the baffle chamber that it would make more of a difference. Also be sure to be extra careful if you try this as the drill shank can easily damage the seal area where it mates with the crush gasket. But if you want to fiddle with this mod, go for it.

Thanks for that info Eakbusa...guess I'll give it a whirl and see what happens...

I'm guessing from the lack of replies that most haven't tried mods on stock pipes... :blush:

Michelle,

I remember reading about som guy destroying his cans trying to mod them... Anyway, the D&D are the LOUD ones if that's what you are looking for, I would consider them. My Akra's have a nice deep throaty (did I just say deep throat?) sound, but they aren't louder than stock. If you would like to hear them, check out my site:

http://www.virtualinks.com/busa

I posted before and after mp3's of my pipes.

Good luck,
Vaughn

VA, I am sure many have tried it but won't admit it or have since switched to a "real" exhaust. I know others have done it. No big deal. I don;t see how you could ruin them unless you are careless when you drill and damage the seal area.

Another thing to remember that you need to start with a small hole kind of like a pilot hole or else you will never be able to hold the drill steady and it will walk all over the place and surely will cause damage. Carefully drill a small hole (takes patience and care) then use that hole as a pilot hole for the full size drill bit. Remeber too that you will probably need a 1/2" drill (max shank diameter that you can chuck on to). A standard drill only accepts up to 3/8" shank which is not big enough.

And don't try to do this hand held. Put the can in a vice (grip the mount tab and use some towels or something soft to keep from scratching the can). You will not be able to hold the thing still and hold the large shank drill. It is a bear to drill with such a large bit, trust me. Don't force it and take your time. Watch out when it breaks thru or it might grab the bit and yank you into the can and your fingers will get mashed.

I removed my Vance & Hines bolt-ons after finally finding that the pipes ordered aren't really made for my 03 Busa...I can have some Microns, Yoshis or D&D's shipped to replace these, but I'm leaning toward maybe having my dealer order some replacement fairings (damaged some when I dropped Caesar in my driveway a while back) in exchange instead of trying to pick out more bolt-ons...

After seeing my V&H pipes, and looking at other after market bolt-ons, I am quite happy with the overall look of my stock exhaust...they stand out and are bigger than others I've seen...only issue is that I want them to be louder so I can be better heard in traffic...I know they'll never sound like Harley pipes, but if I can modify them to be louder, I'd like to go that route...

Anyone here ever tried to modify the stock exhaust?  We've done plenty of mods on Harley exhaust and it's relatively easy...the Busa bolt-ons are a bit more difficult to take apart (rivets are spot-welded on)...before we take apart my stock exhaust, I'd like to know if anyone's ever tried this before?  Outcome?  Recommended or definitely not?

Thanks guys/gals!
Michelle: You need to ping a guy named Tree on this site. He is a friend of mine from IL and he modified his stock cans. They were actually on Bob's bike when we went riding in IL last July. I have D&D bolt-ons, and the cans Tree modified weren't that much less noisy than my D&Ds. This is personal experience, take it for what it is worth. I was amazed at the sound Tree got out of those stock cans. Again, you need to talk to him. Tell him Tommy sent you. :tounge:

Thanks Tommy...that's good to know...
I'll PM him and see if he can help...might wait a while on that though...he's got a lot going on right now...

Thanks for the info guys...as always, you're the best! :D

I did what EAKbusa suggested to my old TL1000S. I Ground the welds off the allen screws holding the end cap on just enough to get them off and still look good. Then I drilled three different 1/2 inch holes as close to the exit spout as I could. This basically just let more sound out. On that V-Twin it didn't really sound that bad and it at least got me by until I could afford a good full exhaust. It was a pretty easy mod and the affect was OK, but nothing great. Don't know what the sound would be like for the Busa though. I would be interested to find out from somebody else though.

Reason for lack of responses: modifying the stock exhaust will result in... slight sound change.

you wont gain any performance, or loss of weight. just may be able to make it louder.

Hi everyone.....New guy here. I took off my stock cans and drilled 6 --1/2inch holes inside on the inlet side,put them back on..started to sound better so i kept drilling and wound up with 12 holes in each.....next maybe i will try a die grinder with a long bit.It sounds pretty good right now but ya never know..........Anyone in colorado?

VaBusa,
I have a buddy that has a set of modded mufflers that you could pick up real cheap.
That way , if you don't like them, yours are still intact, and not destroyed.
Remember, you can't UNmod them.

Reason for lack of responses:  modifying the stock exhaust will result in... slight sound change.

you wont gain any performance, or loss of weight. just may be able to make it louder.
cache...that's all I'm really going for here anyway...I'm not looking for increased performance or losing some of the weight...I'm quite happy with my Busa as is, and I'm not planning on modding the hell out of it beyond cosmetics...it's plenty fast for me, and I'm not racing at the track...just every day riding...

I wouldn't mind being able to apply the clutch and give the engine a few quick revs in traffic so cagers around me might hear me (it comes from riding Harleys...and it works)...

More for safety than anything, believe it or not...

VaBusa,
I have a buddy that has a set of modded mufflers that you could pick up real cheap.
Thanks Sleeper...that's what I'm most worried about...messing up the stock exhaust and then having to go buy new bolt-ons...

What's real cheap? What kind are your friends mufflers?

VaBusa,
Thanks Sleeper...that's what I'm most worried about...messing up the stock exhaust and then having to go buy new bolt-ons...

What's real cheap?  What kind are your friends mufflers?
Michelle: I feel your pain. I went through all of this then just decided to get the D&D bolt ons. Haven't regretted it once. I paid $415.00 for them from Parts411.com. Good luck!

VaBusa,

What's real cheap?  What kind are your friends mufflers?
Michelle: I feel your pain. I went through all of this then just decided to get the D&D bolt ons. Haven't regretted it once. I paid $415.00 for them from Parts411.com. Good luck!
Thanks Tommy...damn, I need to get up your way and hear those D&D's! That's what I was leaning toward, even though I loved the looks of my V&H pipes...

Now, I'm really thinking I'll just get new fairings, get my Busa back to looking perfect (BulletTrain's been making me look bad!), and stick with the stock pipes...decisions, decisions...

Too much to choose from! I talked to a guy that put D&D's on his 750, and he said they sound great...damn, can't decide...

Hi everyone.....New guy here.  I took off my stock cans and drilled 6 --1/2inch holes inside on the inlet side,put them back on..started to sound better so i kept drilling and wound up with 12 holes in each.....next maybe i will try a die grinder with a long bit.It sounds pretty good right now but ya never know..........Anyone in colorado?
AB,

Welcome to the board! Post some pics of your ride...

-Rip

VAB,

if you do the mod, please take some pics of the whole process and post in the Mods section. Because I see this question come up from time-to-time... It would be nice to have a post to point people @

Reason for lack of responses:  modifying the stock exhaust will result in... slight sound change.

cache...that's all I'm really going for here anyway...I'm not looking for increased performance or losing some of the weight...I'm quite happy with my Busa as is, and I'm not planning on modding the hell out of it beyond cosmetics...it's plenty fast for me, and I'm not racing at the track...just every day riding...

I wouldn't mind being able to apply the clutch and give the engine a few quick revs in traffic so cagers around me might hear me (it comes from riding Harleys...and it works)...

More for safety than anything, believe it or not...
thats what I thought.
here, I recorded my pipes recently.. pipes sound thats a pretty good sounding pipe, just needs to be broke-in more.

Hey Girl
Here's his email address.

rwheat@gt.rr.com

Shoot him an email and ask him.
Be sure and tell him that I sent ya.
He's a good buddy of mine, but I am working long hours right now and you will prolly talk to him before me. ;)

Back