Ever see a 'y' rated cycle tire?

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
Z rating is a vague 149+
Y rating is 186

the letter 'Z' LQQKS cooler in marketing and on sidewalls, but it's realy not the best out there. But I don't recall ever seeing a Y rated cycle tire. I did a few googles and checked some sites but didn't see one.

Anyone ever see one? Any percieved benefit to a Y rated? I'm sure we've all taking our Z rateds to higer speeds without indicent. Just curious

Many performance tires available for busas are W rated (168 mph), even though they are usually listed as Z rated in the size. Keep in mind that the rating is for sustained speed.

I actually saw something about that on TV a few weeks ago. They needed higher speed ratings for tires, because of the new higher performance cars...the vette, etc. The new letters are W, X, & Y... I believe. They are more of a subscript, because people like the "Z" rating in the tire specs.

I guess it's spilled over into the motorcycle tires. Personally I havn't seen a set.

Nope not yet
biggrin.gif

Tire ratings are based on Sustained Speeds not top speed or acceleration too speeds like we do. So, why would they make a Y for a bike. If your going to do that speed for a period of time, ya better be on racing tires
wink.gif
. Just ask Ben Spies about the Daytona Tire and Slide for Life test he did
laugh.gif

Z tires are good enough and yes, I see all the W rated ones. I have NEVER heard of an issue with speed on any cycle tires. I thought maybe they'd work on new tech with the latest batch of bikes hitting really good speeds on Autobaughn etc. Maybe someday

Back