scta and new tire requirement

mikeu

Registered
Southern California Timing Assoc. came up with a new tire requirement for bikes over 200MPH. The rule seems to be vague to me. It requires bikes over 200 to use race tires, although it does not give any specifics. But z rated tires no longer meet the requirement. The new rule is forcing me out of my first event at El Mirage.
Has anyone ever heard of the Mojave Mile? and if so what was your experience.

Define race tire?

I've read some slicks aren't even rated as high as OEM street tires...

yea, the whole tire rule change AFTER entries have all ready been done can rub you the wrong way. It's a bit confusing but basically if the record for the class is over 200mph then you need a tire classified as a race tire. So if your bike can only do 25mph but your in a class with a current record of over 200mph you need race tires. No matter what speed you can obtain with your bike if the record in the class is over 200mph you'll need race tires. If it were an open class with no record and your bike could blast say 240's you could still run any tire until you set the record over 200mph.

:banghead: I think the way the rule is poorly written.

will have to see what USFRA and Bub end up doing. ECTA hasn't done this rule change yet.

Last edited:
you can throw out speed rating, DOT, JWL, and whatever else. It comes down to you need a true race tire. Most people can't purchase these tires unles they're a licensed racer. You may have to figure out a "hook up" to get the tires. Hard compounds should still be the focus.

I wanted to run stock class, the record I believe is 205. I won't be able to afford new tires and rims this year. I'll wait until next year to see if more clarifications come on the rule.
Has anyone run Mojave Mile? I would like to find someone planning on going to the next event in September.

I wanted to run stock class, the record I believe is 205. I won't be able to afford new tires and rims this year. I'll wait until next year to see if more clarifications come on the rule.
Has anyone run Mojave Mile? I would like to find someone planning on going to the next event in September.

I'd check into the BUB event if I were you, although the pre-entry deadline is June 1st. Cost you an extra $200 or so for late entry. Speaking of the Mojave Mile, I did the one in March and am planning to be there Sept. 24th, 25th, after BUB in August. I used Pilot Power 2CTs and did not run in an SCTA class, just the open street class. One reason I've stayed away from SCTA is their rules are more strict = more money the racer has to come up with. Example: SCTA does not let you use perforated leather, BUB does. So to do SCTA I have to get a new set of leathers and now this crap about race tires? I'll stick with BUB for now. Maybe if I can set a record and get a full ride sponsorship, but as long as I'm footing the bill, BUB is the one for me.

Last edited:
you can throw out speed rating, DOT, JWL, and whatever else. It comes down to you need a true race tire. Most people can't purchase these tires unles they're a licensed racer. You may have to figure out a "hook up" to get the tires. Hard compounds should still be the focus.

IMO this would be a scenario where the rules and rule makers are FAILING the racers. Clearly it's wrong, why can't they make an ammendment or change for the season so people can race. I guess this is one way to get LESS racers and leave the pros with more race/track time to themselves... :banghead:

The new tire rule doesn't take effect until August 1st (just before Bonneville) so you could run all year at El Mirage or the other venues.

After August 1st, you will need to run a race tire. DOT Race tires are ok. The Bridgestone BT-003's will pass tech. They are a DOT Race tire per the catalog.

I have checked with SCTA tech on this and confirmed the tires will pass.

The Production 1350 record is 204 and change at El Mirage and 211.5 at Bonneville so you must comply with this rule after August 1st.

Have you done all the other safety stuff? I can help with getting your bike ready for SCTA tech.

Hey MikeU,

The Mojave Mile is KICKASS! I ran it in March and it was tons of fun. Nice people, lots of cool cars. At various times, I was on the starting line with Ford GT's, Panteras, Turbo Porsche's, and the Corvette's were as numerous as Busas at a land speed event.

Some of the Mojave Mile rules are different. If you bike is SCTA legal, you can run in the Mojave Mile Land Speed class and you will pass tech, no issues. If you are not SCTA legal, you should check with the Mojave Mile and see what their specific requirements are.

Back