Ever massaged a bearing?

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
One of the good feelings in motorcycle maintenance is the act of lubing your bearings! The below pics represent me applying marine grease to the tiny Sato rearset pivot bearings. They're so small and precision, you have to rub the grease into the microscopic spaces, it really makes a difference in 1)the part lasting a long time 2)the smooth and easier movement when shifting and braking (especially late in the day after miles of pushing it on the roads). 3)and finally, this is the big one....the enhanced rider interaction/feeling with the motorcycle when you have the hammer down, I believe surgical like controls translate into surgical like riding!

Anyways, if you've never done a bearing, I highly recommend doing it and if not a bearing.....a bushing! Bushings actually respond even better than bearings re: lubing for improved function.

And finally, a separate but linked point.....PEOPLE DON'T LUBE THEIR FOOT CONTROLS ENOUGH. Get some good grease into those moving parts, especially ones directly exposed to road debris, surface water, constant use and pressure(think of the different forces we exert on our foot controls!). We need to respect our bike controls more by adjustment and lubrication, I've taken even late model bikes apart and found totally dry metal to metal interface....that is simple neglect and sometimes we all are guilty of it because...."the part just works fine". I'll close this with a reality....your favorite local mechanic will not do this for you unless you specifically pay shop time for the R&R, that's gonna be expensive when you can do the wrenching for free and a tube of good lube is only a few bucks.

OK, enough pontificating. Doyle

IMG_0012 (5).jpg

IMG_0013 (5).jpg

IMG_0014 (5).jpg

IMG_0015 (5).jpg

IMG_0016 (4).jpg

If by "massaging", you mean packing, yes I have :thumbsup:

My foot controls aren't quite as nice as yours though. I just spray lube them occasionally when doing maint.

I packed grease in bearings 40 years ago, then they came up with sealed bearings :laugh: A good dab in my palm and then walk that puppy around watching the grease push through before flipping it over and doing the other side, oh well, that was a long long time ago :laugh:

OK that does it, I'm not going to talk about filtered air in your tires now.

Each of you suck, and all combined, you really suck, I'm going upstairs and watch a zombie movie with my wife and eat comfort food like cookies. I bet the cookies like me.

You still need a date! LOL
And i do not suk!
Each of you suck, and all combined, you really suck, I'm going upstairs and watch a zombie movie with my wife and eat comfort food like cookies. I bet the cookies like me.

Just make sure their whole grain and organic :whistle: No bath salts :laugh:

Back