Ethanol / methanol Fuel cell size

So roughly 2, 4, or 8 lbs of gas plus the tank.
Is the extra weight beneficial at all?
(seriously, like using a solid front axle, I know some guys like more weight towards the front).

Chris Moore said on this bike they have a 1 gallon tank on the front rack and an external pump under the seat because the lines give extra volume.

Do you know what fuel pump you’re going to run?

You can calculate the Brake Specific Fuel Consumption, BSFC. The formula is
BSFC x HP = Pounds of fuel per hour.
Aeromotive says methanol is 1.8-2 lbs/hp/hr.

2 BSFC x 400 hp = 800 lbs of fuel per hour
800 / 8 injectors = 100 lbs of fuel per injector. This is the flow rate required for each injector.

That seems like a lot of fuel to me so I’d go on the side of having a slightly larger tank.

This is the math that EFI University is teaching to size injectors. I’m curious to hear how that aligns with the experience of someone who uses methanol.

Well based on that math my injector capacity maxes out around 1.3 lbs/hp/hr. 100% meth is out of the equation, not gonna buy a new pump and injectors or secondary injectors haha

AEM 50-1005 fuel pump 400lph​

So...... sounds like I need

BSFC. The formula is
Aeromotive says ethanol is .85-.95 lbs/hp/hr.

1 BSFC x 400 hp = 400 lbs of fuel per hour
400 / 4 injectors = 100 lbs of fuel per injector. This is the flow rate required for each injector.

Mine are 132 so that works

.75 gallon should be plenty then, I’m using -8an lines but I’m not going from nose to rear to engine lol - anybody wana check that math?

I know Aeromotive states 2 lb/hp/hr but that is 4x gas. My notes from EFI U states 50% more than gas. That would mean 1 lb/hp/hr and seem more reasonable.

I’ll look on Sunoco or VP fuels website to see if they have it listed anywhere.

I found this that states 1

Chris Moore said on this bike they have a 1 gallon tank on the front rack and an external pump under the seat because the lines give extra volume.

Do you know what fuel pump you’re going to run?

You can calculate the Brake Specific Fuel Consumption, BSFC. The formula is
Aeromotive says methanol is 1.8-2 lbs/hp/hr.

2 BSFC x 400 hp = 800 lbs of fuel per hour
800 / 8 injectors = 100 lbs of fuel per injector. This is the flow rate required for each injector.

That seems like a lot of fuel to me so I’d go on the side of having a slightly larger tank.

This is the math that EFI University is teaching to size injectors. I’m curious to hear how that aligns with the experience of someone who uses methanol.

Geez, how much is that thing drinking in the 1/4 to use the lines for more?!

If you look at the spec sheet of M1 it shows
Stoichiometric A/F Ratio = 6.45

Gas is 14.7 so I’d go with a BSFC of 1 and maybe call VP to confirm. I believed Aeromotive to be a good reference but per EFI University, methanol requires 50% more fuel. The math I posted with 2 BSFC is 200% more.

I’d go with what the fuel producer says. Your math looks good to me for M1.

Meth is back on the table!
1673034884408.gif

What size fuel cell you planning on using? Although yours being A lsr bike it’s kinda apples to oranges.

I watched some of cm videos, all those bikes have a 1 ish gallon tank, whether eth or meth. And a $900 fuel pump lol

Looking more at the setup of mine, a front mounted cell might be cool. Refill without taking the body off is nice if u get hot lapped. I’ll have to weigh my options

I’d go with the option that’s easiest to live with. TPS fab on YouTube runs 7.50’s and has a cell in the swingarm. It looks to be a gallon and easy to fill.

So is the Aeromotive link most accurate? I’d like to hear what size injectors and fuel pump will work with methanol and am curious on the math to get there.

Removing the body is just a couple dzus fasteners so it’s not a deal breaker buuuuuuut...I just want everything aesthetic.

Black mamba was on meth, he had stock injectors down low and 1700cc up top if I remember right. He mentions the fuel pump, injector size.

Back