ENGINE CUT-OUT, AN UPDATE

Hy, I had the same cut off problems with my katana 750/99, here in Brazil. If you ride hard for a few minutes or above 140 km/h the engine cut off as a lak off fuel. This only happened to me after I rode about 8000km, and until there the bike allways worked fine. The problem seemed to be eletrical, but as my warranty time had passed out, my solution was to get rid off the bike as soon as I could. So I did. I bought a new golden Hayabusa. Today, readding about engine cut off problems, I realized my Hayabusa shall have the same problem. What a great solution... I just put 900km on it, and from now I'll be praying for not having the same problems.

Kaw... Thanks for the correction of my ramblings. Your precision is helpful. I assume the metal filters downstream are fine screens and are unlikely to be a problem.

So we need to look at the petcock filter and the fuel pump paper filter regularly. I'm OK with that. Maybe I'll just tear the filters out and put an auto filter in the fuel line under the tank.

Don't assume the our '00 Busa's are problem free. We don't have enough mileage to see this problem yet. Not getting any either. This is the first year I have disliked snow.

I'll have more details of what they find on my bike soon, they are going to replace all parts from the gas tank through to the engine. All filters, pipes etc. Thanks to this board for information on the cut-outs and Rangers site for keeping them online for downloading. One of the bulletins is not known in Japan at all ! Very happy with the way the new shop is dealing with this issue.

I live in one of the few cities that require oxygenated fuels, which contain alcohols and other much more corrosive substances than those found on non-oxygenated gasolines (but within what suzuki specifies as acceptable). Can the people having problems state if they use oxygenated fuels? Maybe we can conclude that only people using oxygenated fuels might be at risk. And yes, I've never had a problem with fuel filters on any bike or car (no suzukis among them though).
JC

One of the FEW cities??!! There are a LOT of cites using reformulated fuels. Reformulated gasoline is being used in all or part of 17 states (& Wash DC): California, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, New Hampshire,New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Virginia and Wisconsin. I recently had a more current listing from 97' or 98' which listed each state by COUNTY that showed which part of each state was using reformulated fuels. When I make trips to Dallas I know the last county [Cooke co] before I get there that sells regular fuel so I won't have to use the crap gas. Reformulated fuels rob HP and decrease fuel mileage! If this becomes an issue I will locate the detailed up to date listings.

Reformulated/Oxygenated Gasoline accounts for 30% of all gasoline sold in the US. The EPA plans to increase use to 70%.

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 24 January 2000).]

Kawabuser, my hat off to-ya. You hit the nail on the head with the fuel pump location statement. I have known about and asked my local dealer tech why Suzuki left the fuel pump in such an unprotected location as they now have it located. A fuel pump generates enough heat without having to deal with the the external engine heat. Suzuki has been lucky to this point that a loss of pressure has been the only complications to their lack of forsight in design, The flames are yet to come. What about when your Hayabusa is 3 years old and a fuel line,o-ring, hey even a plastic part in the fuel pump breaks and it starts pouring fuel on your nice pipe at the rate of about 60 GPH! Eventualy , after a few law suits they will come out with an updated fuel system complete with a a new gas tank with an internal fuel pump, all new lines and regulator system. Then y'all can start a new thread on how the paint don't match on the new tank :-) Brian

I found additional newer info that says 20 states have now entered the reformulated fuel program including Kansas and Missouri.(new states) This is dated Aug 12, 1999.
The EPA basically told the two states to make the change, or lose millions of dollars in highway funding.

I found my list of state counties for reformulated crap gas - dated April 5, 1999. It is VERY VERY long or I would post it here. I'll have it ready in case anyone needs to know.

BTW - Phoenix opted in the RFG [Reformulated Gasoline Program] program in 1997; retail stations were required to supply RFG by August 4, 1997. In September 1997, the Governor of Arizona submitted an RFG
opt-out petition for purposes of adopting a MORE stringent state RFG program in Phoenix.

I am in a state which uses oxegenated fuel.
All the vehicles which I own require a replacement of the fuel filter to keep the vehicle within operating spec. This acceptable to me as I prefer fuel injection over carbs any day of the week.

GSX1300guy dealt with this problem back in august 99 by removing the screen from his petcock and installing an inline auto motiuve filter in between the tank and fuel pump. He lives close to me and he has not experianced a recurring problem in regard to contamination of the fuel pump. He has a keen eye on his bike and researched out a company in Nevada which offers a fuel injector cleaning service.

If the contamination continues it will show up in the 2000 bikes, but I rather ask why does it show up at all. There is a paper fuel filter in the pump which should catch all/any sediment or solids in the fuel. My issue that I find bothersome is the FACT that the strainer after this filter is plugged from the "brown gook" and is not part of the service bulletin notice 109.

Please check you bike for contamination of this strainer (part #15165-24500 #26 screen fuel strainer)

If the condition of this filter is plugged, what is the condition of the injector screens? Each injector has a fine screen in the injector body.

So before we start cutting airboxes, remaping , and etc. we should concern ourselves with the condition of our fuel delivery system.

My bike after the service ran like a new machine, the change was almost scary.

The first indication I had of trouble was when the idle started to get rough and slowed down.It happens so gradually that you hardly notice until one day it dies. If that happens, the dreaded cutout is not far behind. For those with new bikes, pay attention to how your bike idles now, then get it checked at the first indication of that kind of change.

[This message has been edited by SlowHand (edited 25 January 2000).]

I have had cut-outs and have experinced just having the bike quit in stop an go traffic on hot days. The bike has had the updates and still is experiencing sluggish moments! I bought it in May of 99'. The dealer is at a loss, they even witnessed it quit and not start also. The did me a great service though. They got my warrenty extended from Suzuki!! From the time I started having problems. This gives me at least 3 more months since the problem started the first part of August. They claimed I was 1 of 3 having this. Lets push this issue at them. Theres safty in numbers and besides We all hate problems!

Slowhand: If that's the case, my bike has the filters clogged since new because it idles a little rough. I'm thinking of doing what Kawabuser did: install an in-line filter right after the gas tank, and that way I don't have to worry about the other filters (hopefully). Is this a good idea? Does this mod affect my warranty, even if it's absurd to think so?

Valklex, my best guess is that the initial setup, including TPS wasn't quite right on your bike. Can't believe that you would have plugging initially. Those bikes idle very smoothly when set up right. I would suggest finding someone like Johnnycheese, if possible, and paying to have all settings checked. As I said, just guessing.

Valklex, I am running my bike in the oem configuration. I do suggest inspection of the metal strainer in between the fuel pump and pressure regulator.

I am not using an inline filter on my bike.

GSX1300guy is the member with the inline filter, he installed one late summer and has not complained of any cut out since. It is his ideal not mine.

If your bike is a 2000 you are most likely in need of TPS adjustment and throttle body sync.

The fuel cut out was a condition which typicaly showed up after 2,000 miles.

One hint for those who have not experienced the engine cut out (yet!). In my case, before the engine cut out for the first time I noticed that the bike backfired more often when decelerating. It may be your first warning that the engine is starving for fuel. After the filters were replaced last week the backfire stopped.

The small write up in Sports Rider in some way indicates that the fuel system may be the source of it's own contamination. There are a number of plastic parts involved and if some of them tended to leach out material it could be this material that is clogging the filters. If this is true then installing aftermarket upstream filters would be of little help. Also, replacing all or most of these parts (like what was done in the recall) would only help temporarily as the filter clogging cycle would just start over again. Temperature may just be another variable that affects how fast this filter clogging process proceeds.

Again, if this theory is true, then the only real fix for the problem would be to design out all of the offending parts and replace them with parts made of a different material.

Larry

I have a solution!

This might work... What about putting a small (very fine) filter on the RETURN line under the fuel tank. This is easy to get to.

It is my understanding that the fuel pump is always pumping, and excess fuel is returned to the tank.

Putting a small filter on this return line, one that filtered finer than the stock filters, would constantly "scrub" the fuel as it gets constantly pumpued around. And you can easily lift the tank and inspect/clean/replace it every few months with no worries about o-rings and stuff.

As all the gunge gets caught by the new finer filter, the stock filters can be ignored. Might do this on my bike...

I experienced the infamous cutouts at various rpms. The dealer had my bike for almost 3 weeks. They rechecked all the screens, hose routing the whole nine, to no avail. It finally got to the point where a FI computer was going to be changed. Upon inspection of the FI unit, a loose conecter was found. The bike has been running ok for the past few days. I was still considering cutting a deal with the dealership for a 2k Busa just in case I got ahold of a lemon.

Back