Cut Out Again???

OB_SOKOL49

Registered
This probaly belongs to a different board. Today for the first time I had my Busa dynoed, (Dynojet 200, quite new) regular roll on in the sixth gear. The first run and it hit 157hp with 99lb of torque. Second run and the engine started sputtering at ~ 8K rpm. He let it cool off for about 15 minutes and we tried again. The same story: first run almost 158hp, 99lb and the second stalled at 8K. On my way home (about 15 miles) everything seemed to be OK, but about 300 yards from home - the engine cut out!

The guy who ran the test told me that it felt like the engine was starving for gas.
The bike is 100% stock, with 10,775 miles on it VIN # 03815 and never had a single problem. Does it sound like the dreaded CUT OUT? If so, nobody is immune from it! What would be the best way to approach the dealer? My VIN# is not included in the recall. And since the problem is intermitten, they may think I'm streatching to get this done. Anyone had similar experience? What's the cost of the new fuel filter(s)?

Thanks for your help!

[This message has been edited by SOKOL49 (edited 17 December 1999).]

They said mine wasn't in the right #range either but they fixed it anyway at 7100 and the screens were clogged.

viol8r, if that is the case with your bike than how can we know this problem is not something than gasoline additives.

If your bike is above the serial number cut off point. Then how is it your new screens are plugged, the new ones are supposed to be constructed with a more open mesh. It smells like the culprit could be the original idea about tank coatings. Did you call Suzuki US about any of this? Suzuki's explaination of the "cut out" does not support your problem if your bike is above the vin # cut off.

My #3386. The first notice stated a lower #. Then they updated to the higher #. I mentioned this before. I've got copies of the first notice. I still think it had something to do with crap in the whole bike. Like the clutch fluid and the anti freeze. I took mine apart myself first and they were plugged almost solid, I can't imagine it running like it was. I only had a minor cutout but I knew from all the talk on the boards, what it was.

[This message has been edited by viol8r (edited 17 December 1999).]

I agree with gixxer1300r. With 10,775 miles on it you are still under warranty. No matter what the cause it is Suzuki's responsibility to fix it at no cost to you. Take it in.

I had a customer in last week with the same complaint, Out of the range with about 3k. on the clock. screen was clogged. Have your dealer check it out and fix it. if not find on that will work with you. Most likley the dealer that someone who owns the fast bird.

Johnnycheese, do you find the strainer between the fuel pump and regulator plugged almost solid? this part is not listed in the Bulletins to be replaced.

What is your position on this particular filter?

Fuel additive or gas tank coating?

Add me to the list. My number is also in the 3600s. For the last week the bike has periodically idled roughly. Wednesday it died while sitting at a light in Palm Springs.Never done that before. Re-started OK. Today I was on a gnarly road in 2nd gear; just past the apex it was like someone shut off the key. Blipped the throttle quickly and was rewarded with about 120hp suddenly coming on line. Gets your attention, believe me. Rode straight to the dealer where I bought the bike. Bike was missing and bucking. Dealer's service manager pissed me off by saying that since the ser. # was over the recall #,even if it is a plugged screen it could end up being my problem. I won't bore you with the conversation that ensued, but needless to say, his attitude was disgusting.
The bike has 7600 miles, is still under warranty, and I have an additional 5 year extension on it. People like that can give a good motorcycle a bad name. They couldn't or wouldn't work on it today, so I limped home. It will go in Monday morn. Comments?

I had the same problem with mine when I took it to the dealership they told me they did the recalls and also they found that the fuel pump screen was clogged and they put in a new screen and said it was okay, but the problem kept happening but now it was more frequent so being as pist off at the dealership for now making the problem worse I contacted Suzuki and they told me to take it in to another dealership a so that is what I did finally I found a dealership that was customer friendly maybe because the manager was a long time friend (????) the only way that helped was he pushed my bike up a few in line and told them if I said it was happening then it was so that being the case they took the whole thing apart again no problems except for one little hose being folded shut no big deal right WRONG it was the fuel return hose so the moral of the story is find a dealer you know and trust and just maybe what I have said will help you out!!

I think Suzuki is tring to be on top of it. Every one we have done ,when we submit the claim on computer;The next day a tech from Brea calls and askes us what the sceen looked like then to next day air it to them. I hope thids is a sign that they are working on it.

Well, from these responses it looks like the problem with clogged filter is not isolated to the early models, and most likely is going to hunt us for years to come! I think the root causes can be narrowed down to two:

1. There is indeed some residue in the tank that causes the clogging,

2. The filters are too restrictive, (I heard of no other bike that would have a similar problem as wide spread as Hayabusa.

If the #1 is true, Susuki should analyze the residue using S.E.M. (Scanning Electron Microscope) and determine if the stuff that cloggs our filters comes from any materials they use for coating of the inside of the tank.

If it is # 2, maintenance matrix needs to be updated and include fuel screen replacement after a certain milage.

Question to those that did their own filter replacement: How difficult is it to replace the filters, and what is the cost of the replacement parts. I am not comfortable to have somebody working on my bike, especially after so many horror stories I hear on this site about other people's experiences with untrained service guys messing up their bikes.

Thanks for your help!

SOKOL49

I think the strainer you talking about looks like a small oil filter. It was not clogged but the one in the recall was. I have recommeded to my customer to replace this at about 12k. but it is not listed in mantainance.Remember nothing beat a happy customer and a bike that runs great when they pick it up.I always test ride before and after.!!!!

Back