Enforcement on Deals Gap

I would contact ABATE of NC to see if they have been informed of the situation. Im not sure how big they are there but here in Ok we are growing. We have successfully handled a harassment situation this year involving profiling. Just a thought

I have a suggestion. Copy your letters/e-mails to the local businesses and the local newspapers. You'll be giving them information they will need to protest the issue with the local law enforcement leaders and with the governing body.

--Wag--

(Wag @ Aug. 07 2007,21:45) I have a suggestion.  Copy your letters/e-mails to the local businesses and the local newspapers.  You'll be giving them information they will need to protest the issue with the local law enforcement leaders and with the governing body.

--Wag--
One of the classic issues is that the businesses that benefit from the dragon tourism are generally in North Carolina and the road is mostly in Tennessee.
rock.gif

I wonder though what motivation would they have to stop. Since the grant money would be most likely spent for o.t. to cover that many crews up there. Since Tn. doesn't get very much money from the road they wouldn't be loosing anything.
Did this all start then after the 3 fatalities then? I wasn't clear on that... how did that go down...?

(jch364 @ Aug. 08 2007,09:17) I wonder though what motivation would they have to stop. Since the grant money would be most likely spent for o.t. to cover that many crews up there. Since Tn. doesn't get very much money from the road they wouldn't be loosing anything.
Did this all start then after the 3 fatalities then? I wasn't clear on that... how did that go down...?
The increased patrols started on July 1st. The deaths were on July 12 and 13.

Here is a link with a story from the Knoxville News Sentinel...

Ray's correct, the first deaths of the year, an accident that caused enough road damage to require repaving of a section of road, as well as an accident yesterday that again blocked the road all happened after the state began it's saturation patrols. Hmm, maybe they were all on donut breaks at the time.

Here's a pic of yesterdays problems.

Dragon_truck.jpg

(TennBusa @ Aug. 08 2007,08:45) Ray's correct, the first deaths of the year, an accident that caused enough road damage to require repaving of a section of road, as well as an accident yesterday that again blocked the road all happened after the state began it's saturation patrols. Hmm, maybe they were all on donut breaks at the time.

Here's a pic of yesterdays problems.
Looks like a hog carrier.. I'm sure it smelled pretty ripe....
laugh.gif

(Rayabusa0818 @ Aug. 08 2007,08:50) I wonder if this guy got a ticket for crossing the yellow line?
lurk.gif

all_coholic.gif
Not according to what one of the photographers said. He said that one of the truck drivers that were held up told the BC Deputy that this was gonna cost him. He said the deputy told him he wasn't going to write him.

i know this may sound a bit lame but im kinda glad this is going on. This road used to be a great place to ride just 5 short years ago. Sure people got killed on it but my god its just a mad house there anymore. I live here and i think i may have been there two times ( both times i regret btw). I know most of the riders here are good/ safe riders that might push the limits just a tad for a little thrill, but for every "good" rider there are ten suicidal idiots that think its a trackday. 90% of the idiots are from out of town.....dont know the road.......think they wont get caught.......and have absolutly no respect for themselves or other riders, let alone the local law. Now i have never been a big fan of the cops but as far as this issue goes they are saving lives...no doubt about it. This is a cause/effect deal.......those three deaths brought negitive press to the road ( btw it has never gotten any positive press) and now the cops are FORCED to do somthing about it...they cant let people just continue getting killed. We brought this on our selves.

My solution........go ride some place else.........maybe in a few years things will cool off and we can enjoy deals gap.........but dont look for me to tell you when that time comes, the net is a big part of how this got started in the first place.

(lot boy @ Aug. 08 2007,15:48) i know this may sound a bit lame but im kinda glad this is going on. This road used to be a great place to ride just 5 short years ago. Sure people got killed on it but my god its just a mad house there anymore. I live here and i think i may have been there two times ( both times i regret btw).  I know most of the riders here are good/ safe riders that might push the limits just a tad for a little thrill, but for every "good" rider there are ten suicidal idiots that think its a trackday.  90% of the idiots are from out of town.....dont know the road.......think they wont get caught.......and have absolutly no respect for themselves or other riders, let alone the local law.   Now i have never been a big fan of the cops but as far as this issue goes they are saving lives...no doubt about it. This is a cause/effect deal.......those three deaths brought negitive press to the road ( btw it has never gotten any positive press) and now the cops are FORCED to do somthing about it...they cant let people just continue getting killed. We brought this on our selves.

My solution........go ride some place else.........maybe in a few years things will cool off and we can enjoy deals gap.........but dont look for me to tell you when that time comes, the net is a big part of how this got started in the first place.
beerchug.gif
Agree, but the enforcement should apply to everyone, not just sport bikes. This truck created much more danger than a sportbiker pushing the limit. I think a fair speed limit on the road would be 40 t0 45...but noone is going to ask me
cool.gif

(lot boy @ Aug. 08 2007,12:48) i know this may sound a bit lame but im kinda glad this is going on. This road used to be a great place to ride just 5 short years ago. Sure people got killed on it but my god its just a mad house there anymore. I live here and i think i may have been there two times ( both times i regret btw). I know most of the riders here are good/ safe riders that might push the limits just a tad for a little thrill, but for every "good" rider there are ten suicidal idiots that think its a trackday. 90% of the idiots are from out of town.....dont know the road.......think they wont get caught.......and have absolutly no respect for themselves or other riders, let alone the local law. Now i have never been a big fan of the cops but as far as this issue goes they are saving lives...no doubt about it. This is a cause/effect deal.......those three deaths brought negitive press to the road ( btw it has never gotten any positive press) and now the cops are FORCED to do somthing about it...they cant let people just continue getting killed. We brought this on our selves.

I understand your sentiments and I agree with you. However what is being pointed out is that the cops are writing people up for practically nothing.

Fine the suicidal idiot and take away his license.
guns.gif
But if you someone is following the speed limit or is 5 miles over, no need to pull them over cuz they have a bike. That's crazy. Put up speed traps, but don't harrass the drivers. There's a difference. You should only be pulled over for probable cause and riding a bike is not one of those probable causes.

I b*tched about getting a ticket, but I have never said they were wrong to issue the ticket.
crazy.gif

PS - I haven't been up there, so I could be way off base about the situation.... let me know if I am

(whitele @ Aug. 08 2007,16:01)
(lot boy @ Aug. 08 2007,12:48) i know this may sound a bit lame but im kinda glad this is going on. This road used to be a great place to ride just 5 short years ago. Sure people got killed on it but my god its just a mad house there anymore. I live here and i think i may have been there two times ( both times i regret btw).  I know most of the riders here are good/ safe riders that might push the limits just a tad for a little thrill, but for every "good" rider there are ten suicidal idiots that think its a trackday.  90% of the idiots are from out of town.....dont know the road.......think they wont get caught.......and have absolutly no respect for themselves or other riders, let alone the local law.   Now i have never been a big fan of the cops but as far as this issue goes they are saving lives...no doubt about it. This is a cause/effect deal.......those three deaths brought negitive press to the road ( btw it has never gotten any positive press) and now the cops are FORCED to do somthing about it...they cant let people just continue getting killed. We brought this on our selves.

I understand your sentiments and I agree with you. However what is being pointed out is that the cops are writing people up for practically nothing.

Fine the suicidal idiot and take away his license.
guns.gif
 But if you someone is following the speed limit or is 5 miles over, no need to pull them over cuz they have a bike. That's crazy. Put up speed traps, but don't harrass the drivers. There's a difference. You should only be pulled over for probable cause and riding a bike is not one of those probable causes.

I b*tched about getting a ticket, but I have never said they were wrong to issue the ticket.
crazy.gif

PS - I haven't been up there, so I could be way off base about the situation.... let me know if I am
I think some of the harrassment stuff may be a bit exaggerated. I have ridden through eleven times since the stepped up enforcement has began and have not experienced any harrassment.

I agree, crack down on those that are contributing to the accidents and deaths...that would include the guys that do think it's a track day and have little regard for others that want to enjoy the Dragon, and all vehicles with more than 2 wheels that continually cross the center line and create huge hazards for everyone else, cops included...

I am by no means a fast rider, especially when I was on the Dragon, but I had a blast...the idea of being harassed while parked at the overlook after a cop does a walk around with my bike and it's vertical plate just irritates me...I could be doing nothing wrong, and I'll be harassed...that's never okay...
mad.gif

(VaBusa @ Aug. 08 2007,16:12) I agree, crack down on those that are contributing to the accidents and deaths...that would include the guys that do think it's a track day and have little regard for others that want to enjoy the Dragon, and all vehicles with more than 2 wheels that continually cross the center line and create huge hazards for everyone else, cops included...

I am by no means a fast rider, especially when I was on the Dragon, but I had a blast...the idea of being harassed while parked at the overlook after a cop does a walk around with my bike and it's vertical plate just irritates me...I could be doing nothing wrong, and I'll be harassed...that's never okay...  
mad.gif
I know the feeling about the tag, that's why my rear fender is still stock...

(Rayabusa0818 @ Aug. 08 2007,16:16)
(VaBusa @ Aug. 08 2007,16:12) I agree, crack down on those that are contributing to the accidents and deaths...that would include the guys that do think it's a track day and have little regard for others that want to enjoy the Dragon, and all vehicles with more than 2 wheels that continually cross the center line and create huge hazards for everyone else, cops included...

mad.gif
I know the feeling about the tag, that's why my rear fender is still stock...
I'm moving my plate now, partly because of the harassment there and the new stinkin' laws here in VA...I've had an officer ride my Busa with the illegal tag; he's always said it's nothing worth pulling me over for, and I've had both state and local cops behind me and have never been bothered...but, it's going to be relocated now just to avoid the hassle (plus, I've got to make room for the new RoadLok from captain and his wife *grin*)

I just hate reading all of the stupid stuff people are being hassled for...read somewhere today that a cop pulled a cager over for not having two hands on the wheel, then when the guy asked "well, how am I supposed to shift the car?!" the cop let him go...WTF!  That's just someone playing BIG COP and being an ass, not out to make the roads safer...sorry if that offends anyone here because I'm friends with cops both on here and in my real life *snicker* but I've also been pulled by the occassional ass that wants to know why I'm using cruise control in a 45 mph zone, then when he realizes he can't really ticket me for any good reason, he proceeds to BACK OUT on to a major highway
laugh.gif
 Sounds like all of the morons I've encountered here have moved to TN...sorry gang!  
wink.gif

I sent an email to the Tn. gov. Not sure it means anything. Got the link from dealsgap.com My suggestion basically was to try to find a happy middle ground between no enforcement which I dont like and this saturation which I don't like either. My suggestion was that they might consider having a substation somewhere on 129 with an officer who is a sport bike rider and maybe have him outfitted with a police version of a hayabusa like in OK. Then he can ride the road and others and take action on those who are really acting like idiots and really need a ticket. Not there to just wright tickets all day. Just get the bad ones that need it. We all know who they are. Lotboy is right. it has gotten crazy at times up there. I haven't been but maybe 4 times in the last year so I don't have a good perspective on this but I have noticed even in that short amount of visits an increase in people doing some dangerous things that put themselves at way to great a risk and more importantly other people. Any way, Maybe if they had an officer there it would also help with the relationship between riders and the police. Again like in OK. It was a thought anyway. just my 2
rant.gif

As posted on the ETR forums:

Enforcement activity for the weekend of August 3-5.

Motorcycles Cars

Speeding--------------21 Speeding----------28
Registrations---------41 Registrations-----7
Driver License--------3 Driver License----2
Helmet Law-----------5 Seat Belt----------7
Lane Violation--------4 (left of center) Lane Violation----3 (left of center)
Riding Standing up--2
Improper Passing---5
Insurance Law------9 Insurance Law----3
Other-----------------2

Total Citation 92 Total Citation-----50

Mike Browning
Director, Public Affairs/PIO
Department of Safety
mike.browning@state.tn.us

Back