Enforcement on Deals Gap

vman1300

Never Forgotten
Just a little copy for another post I made today about the Gap.

In my many years of visiting the Gap and surrounding area, hands down this is the worst harrassament I have ever heard about. I have been very fortunate not to have a trip planned there during negative press.

About once a year, the powers that be get a hanakering to "crack down" and write many tickets just because they can. Normally it is a knee jerk reaction to deaths on the hill. This year with 3 in 24 hours a few weeks back is the reason for the waste of man power.

As most here know I frequent the area 10-14 times a year. For 2007....I have only been there 4 times with just one more planned trip end of September. The people that have the pull are the business that are being affected by the motorcyclists going elsewhere. With a town soley supported by tourism, I know some are wondering how they are gonna pay their bills in the winter.

What can we do?

Visit www.tailofthedragon.com. There are links to the players that are the reason behind this crackdown. Email them and let them know how you feel, in a nice way of course. I do not have the email saved, but mine was something to the effect of how many times I normally come there and that I will be spending my tourist $$$ else where.

I was reading up on this mess earlier today and I've got to say, it's quite sad to see such a massive crackdown, stories of riders panicking if they see a cop, then crashing, just general harassment...it's frustrating to see a place so many cherish becoming a place no one wants to visit...
mad.gif

Solution A: ride more like Michelle...
laugh.gif

Solution B: write the powers that be and voice a civilized opinion, which I too will do...then, ride like Michelle, no worries, right?
beerchug.gif

Simple

DON'T ride the Gap...go ride all the other roads in the area. They're spending a lot of money on the crack down, if they have no one to pull over and write a ticket then how long can
they afford to be out there?

I WOULD AGREE. YOU WILL NEVER GET THEM TO PULL BACK. ALWAYS A FEW THAT MAKE IT BAD FOR EVERYONE. Time to find a better spot. When this kind of crack down happens many will be pulled over for vdry minor issues. Don't risk it thinking you can beat them.

Theres probally not much you can do.

Ride somewhere else that is less watched.

www.lexingtonvirginia.com

240 turns in 14 miles!!
super.gif

(BA BUSA @ Aug. 06 2007,12:14) Simple

DON'T ride the Gap...go ride all the other roads in the area. They're spending a lot of money on the crack down, if they have no one to pull over and write a ticket then how long can
That was the point of my letter. Not only is this having a negative short term impact, but some folks that come for vacations there every year are cancelling long range plans.

As usual a knee jerk reaction is have a negative effect...

With the grant made available by the State, the enforcement should last till the end of August.

(vman1300 @ Aug. 06 2007,10:15)
(BA BUSA @ Aug. 06 2007,12:14) Simple

That was the point of my letter. Not only is this having a negative short term impact, but some folks that come for vacations there every year are cancelling long range plans.

As usual a knee jerk reaction is have a negative effect...

With the grant made available by the State, the enforcement should last till the end of August.
Should last till the end of August...if they don't write any tickets, then they are going to have to put more
units on the road. That will burn up the budget sooner
wink.gif

(jch364 @ Aug. 06 2007,14:16) How does this affect the planned fall busa bash, if at all? anyone not going now?
The enforce, I mean harrassament should last until the end of august.

I will still be at the Bash in September.

I'll be at the Bash, this won't spoil my good time. Fortunately, I don't need to go too fast to have a real blast!

Another link I posted in anoter thread as well.

Tennesee Highway Patrol online survey

THP Online Survey

If you have been ticked or harrased in any way, PLEASE take time out to fill out the survey.

Would be interesting to read the dirt from those surveys that get completed.

I will still be at the bash. Wouldnt miss hanging out with all of you good folks.
biggrin.gif
like was said earlier, alot of great roads in the area to ride.

Our trip up is in some peril this year, nothing to do with enforcement. I am with Tom, never had to haul a** to have a good time up there, its about the people that we meet and ride among.

We will see but I cant say as I blame the local LEOs or elected officials for being upset, has to get old scraping pieces of tourists up off of the pavement and flying whats left over to Knoxville.
Here, they drown in the surf and block off access to otherwise 'public' beaches.
There?
Its very different, they run under boat trailers on thier Goldwing trikes....

Sad either way.

I have ridden through the Dragon eleven times since the stepped up enforcement started. I have been stoped twice...once I was going 20 mph over the limit down by the lake. The other time was on Saturday morning just after getting my new bike late on Friday afternoon so I had no tag. They checked my papers and told me to have a safe day. It's hard to think of those as harrassment.

Actually, factually there should be a stated reason for each and every stop. And by reason I mean a violation of the law or your bike matching the description transmitted for a BOLO.

4th Amendment can get expensive at $150K - 300K a pop.

Breaking the law will be expensive as well. I'm sure members of the bench have been told no mercy on offenders.

Payola has always worked in the past.
Everybody pitch in $20 into a bribe pool and send the local
police a check for a couple grand to not be there for the weekend.
It would work.

Back