Employment and business activity increasing

Federal wages no, but some county level positions, absolutely. I realize that's not a fair comparison, but government is government.

Could be. You quoted federal wages, so I thought that is what you were discussing.

It's time to go back into the public sector and get a government job. Maybe something with great benefits, great pension, and a standard pay increase every year. :laugh:

And then issue opinions about the private sector.. :whistle:

one hitch is you can not bite the hand that feeds you.. :)

I do think the press causes problems or can help them... suppose it is just what mood they are in... tell everyone things are terrible and they react accordingly.. things are sure no better in this neck of the woods... I think Todd can vouch for that up north too...

Last edited:
Where I work, it's like a night and day difference from this time last year.
We were all painting the whole inside of the shop last Dec/Jan, we've been working steady 40's with a few weeks of overtime since the first of October. Looking good going through the winter into spring too.

The news media, unfortunatly, can control the mass thought of the country. I've always thought that the media had a lot to do with it getting as bad as it did. Gloom and doom, non stop "we're all going to loose everything and starve to death" reports scared the hell out of the whole country, and the panic that resulted led everyone to not buy anything, further worsening an already bad situation.
Now, they say it's getting better. So everyone has hope, and just might go ahead and buy that new TV, fridge, car, etc.. this year. Which means it WILL get better, so on and so forth..
Sometimes, I think a little media censorship, in the right place and time, would be a good thing.

thats great news. i agree with your point but I discourage people from financing things. if you have the money and want to buy something go for it but i don't think this is upgrading your computer or loveseat is a good idea if you have to finance it.

The only problem I see is it is a government funded recovery. What's gonna happen when the fed gov stops doubling the national debt annually ?

In my area jobs have been lost that will never come back and service oriented businesses are closing the doors every week.

Federal wages no, but some county level positions, absolutely. I realize that's not a fair comparison, but government is government.

I also doubt the government has too many seven figure payrolls. Yes, they exist but they are few and far between. In addition, I don't believe there are many, if any at all, that make an eight figure income (read: paid as an annual salary which are not "perks" the lobbyists line their pockets with).

However, there are (tens of ?) thousands of people in the private sector clearing a million, or more, of taxable income per year. Definitely hundreds more clearing eight or nine figure yearly incomes. Throw a Bill Gates in the mix and the scales start to balance out with regard to the impoverished employees.

Just one person making a million dollars per year can carry nine fast-food workers, where the average is concerned, and that average is still almost double the reported government workers' median income.

Federal employees also get decent-to-great benefits, a great pension, a great deal of job security and a knowledge that the "company" they work for isn't going to go belly up (before it's citizens do - great barometer).

I don't know about anyone else here but after being recently laid off, I had to take a hit in pay to secure a semi-decent benefits package. My pension is called a 401k and it's mine to buy into. If I work here twenty years, I have no clue what my retirement package might look like or if one even exists.

In today's day and age, federal employees really have it made, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Back