Employment and business activity increasing

I smell more doodie :laugh:

I guess if they just keep saying it often it will just be true.

DEMMYM is a Millionair
DEMMYM is a Millionair
DEMMYM is a Millionair
DEMMYM is a Millionair
DEMMYM is a Millionair
DEMMYM is a Millionair
DEMMYM is a Millionair
DEMMYM is a Millionair
DEMMYM is a Millionair
DEMMYM is a Millionair
DEMMYM is a Millionair
DEMMYM is a Millionair
DEMMYM is a Millionair
DEMMYM is a Millionair
DEMMYM is a Millionair

Nope it aint working. :banghead:

It does seem like things have a least leveled off. Got a long way to go before see increase.

seems to be the increase is in construction and etc vs the office space jobs. but i dunno, i got luck and wasnt really effected. i know a few that were but all in computers and stuff. they still dont and i dont think ever will have a iron clad job as much as are going overseas.

Where I work, it's like a night and day difference from this time last year.
We were all painting the whole inside of the shop last Dec/Jan, we've been working steady 40's with a few weeks of overtime since the first of October. Looking good going through the winter into spring too.

The news media, unfortunatly, can control the mass thought of the country. I've always thought that the media had a lot to do with it getting as bad as it did. Gloom and doom, non stop "we're all going to loose everything and starve to death" reports scared the hell out of the whole country, and the panic that resulted led everyone to not buy anything, further worsening an already bad situation.
Now, they say it's getting better. So everyone has hope, and just might go ahead and buy that new TV, fridge, car, etc.. this year. Which means it WILL get better, so on and so forth..
Sometimes, I think a little media censorship, in the right place and time, would be a good thing.

Color me confused. How does December, a historically slow month for industry, get top numbers over all other months in the past 3 years? I'm not saying it's fabricated, but it doesn't make much sense. There are fewer work days in December than any other month in the year, not to mention that many factories close down during this month for retooling, winter break, etc.

It just doesn't add up.

Where I work, it's like a night and day difference from this time last year.
We were all painting the whole inside of the shop last Dec/Jan, we've been working steady 40's with a few weeks of overtime since the first of October. Looking good going through the winter into spring too.

The news media, unfortunatly, can control the mass thought of the country. I've always thought that the media had a lot to do with it getting as bad as it did. Gloom and doom, non stop "we're all going to loose everything and starve to death" reports scared the hell out of the whole country, and the panic that resulted led everyone to not buy anything, further worsening an already bad situation.
Now, they say it's getting better. So everyone has hope, and just might go ahead and buy that new TV, fridge, car, etc.. this year. Which means it WILL get better, so on and so forth..
Sometimes, I think a little media censorship, in the right place and time, would be a good thing.

I think there is some truth to your premise that the news media has influence over perception, and that self-fulfilling prophecies and closed loop systems will have some amount of impact in the overall economy.

I also believe it is important not to write off reports based in fact because the message is not what we'd like to hear. 99% of the general population is ignorant to economic data available to those who earn a living collecting information and examining the economy.

Good to hear things are picking up where you work. :beerchug: The rate of decline in our business has halted...though there's still a long way to go to get to a full recovery. Over the next six months we expect to spend about $80k on maintenance and upgrades. That's not a lot in the big picture, but we're just one of millions of small businesses.

The Rassmusen Pole on Monday Dec. 28 had this to say:

Today, 46% of government employees say the economy is getting better while just 31% say it’s getting worse. Among those who work in the private sector, the numbers are reversed: 32% say better and 49% worse.

Twenty-four percent (24%) of government employees rate the economy as good or excellent while just nine percent (9%) of those in the private sector are so upbeat.

Fifty-five percent (55%) in the private sector rate the economy as poor, a pessimism shared by 38% of those on the public payroll.

Forty-four percent (44%) of government employees rate their own personal finances as good or excellent while 33% of private sector workers do the same.

Among those on the government payroll, 31% say their finances are getting better, and 40% say they’re getting worse. The comparable private sector numbers are 23% better and 47% worse.

These figures reflect a dramatic change from January 2009, with a growing optimism among government workers. During the course of this year, there has been a significant increase in government spending and a government takeover of General Motors.

The Obama administration estimates that federal spending will reach 28% of GDP in 2009, up from 19% a decade ago. It’s the largest share of the economy consumed by the federal government since the fighting stopped in World War II.

In the private sector, such growth would be considered boom times for any industry, and government employees have undergone a remarkable change in attitude over the course of the year. In January, just 22% of government workers thought the economy was getting better, a figure that has jumped to 46% today. The number of government workers who think the economy has gotten worse has fallen in an equally dramatic manner, from 61% in January to 31% today.

Among those who work in the private sector, however, the change has been far less significant. In fact, the number of private sector workers who think things are getting better has improved just six points, from 26% up to 32%.

Most Americans (51%) believe that government employees are paid too much. Not surprisingly, those who work for the government disagree. Fifty-nine percent (59%) of all Americans say the average government worker earns more annually than the average taxpayer.

Fifty-five percent (55%) of government workers expect to have the same employer in five years. Only 27% of those who work for someone else expect such job longevity.

Sixty-six percent (66%) of voters nationwide expect government spending to go up during the Obama years, but 59% believe that an increase in government spending will hurt the economy.

Most voters say tax cuts are a better way to create jobs and fight unemployment.

It's time to go back into the public sector and get a government job. Maybe something with great benefits, great pension, and a standard pay increase every year. :laugh:

The Obama administration estimates that federal spending will reach 28% of GDP in 2009, up from 19% a decade ago. It’s the largest share of the economy consumed by the federal government since the fighting stopped in World War II.

I'll just respond to this part, as I'm not familiar with what a Rasmussen pole is.

I don't think it should come as any surprise to anyone that government spending increases relative to GDP during periods of recession. Even if government spending remains flat during a period of recession, it will increase as a percentage of the national economy because the private sector is failing to produce and consume.

This paragraph seems very much like someone is trying to exploit weak math comprehension of some of it's readers to subtly promote a mesage of fear.

I would expect government workers to feel they're underpaid, while people in private sector think government workers are overpaid. I think it's a simple-minded, petty human quality to be envious and critical of others based on an incomplete assessment of just how green the grass is on the other side of the fence.

An interesting read. Thanks Tufbusa!

I would expect government workers to feel they're underpaid, while people in private sector think government workers are overpaid. I think it's a simple-minded, petty human quality to be envious and critical of others based on an incomplete assessment of just how green the grass is on the other side of the fence.

Any government worker that feels they are underpaid is living in a land of delusion.

USATODAY.com

The growth in six-figure salaries has pushed the average federal worker's pay to $71,206, compared with $40,331 in the private sector.

I have to beleive that the biggest growth industry right now is Govt'
and that's messed up ???

and that's messed up ???

You may have hit gold with that comment. This is a Chicago based regional report, and who is from Chicago? I won't say his name. But I'll bet a LOT of stimulus money is being poured into that area right now, which could account for a lot of new jobs and production. :whistle:

Any government worker that feels they are underpaid is living in a land of delusion.

USATODAY.com

Not many fast food workers on government payrolls. I doubt there are any government jobs that pay at levels that qualify employees for food stamps, with perhaps the exception of new military recruits. The same cannot be said for the private sector, which has a lot of employees earning $20k-$25k/yr.

Once again, simple math skews the numbers.

and that's messed up ???

It's not ideal, for certain. Perhaps soon consumers and businesses in the private sector will be able to do their part to produce growth.

Not many fast food workers on government payrolls. I doubt there are any government jobs that pay at levels that qualify employees for food stamps, with perhaps the exception of new military recruits. The same cannot be said for the private sector, which has a lot of employees earning $20k-$25k/yr.

Once again, simple math skews the numbers.

Federal wages no, but some county level positions, absolutely. I realize that's not a fair comparison, but government is government.

Back