Electronic Throttle

V8N3T

More mods plz..
Donating Member
Registered
Well I was searching around of the newer threads and haven't noticed any questions about this. The 2007 R1 has an Electronic Throttle! This is supposed to make things have a really wicked response I've read. Now my question is why haven't any of the other bikes done this sooner? How hard would it be to throw it on the busa? Just wondering y'all.

Aren't those bikes (referring to any 1000cc SS bike here) already wickedly responsive?
all_coholic.gif

Personally I'm a little nervous about giving my control over the throttle to a little computer chip and a voltage sensor... some things don't need to be more advanced.

If I'm not mistaked, the Aprillia MotoGP team tried this 2 years ago and it had very mixed reviews. I think Colin Edwards was the pilot at the time.

It seemed they had great difficulty to get it to be smooth across the rev range. The power tended to come in very quickly and spat Edwards off a couple of times.

If it was in the development stage 2 years ago then maybe it's been perfected since.

It's only called "fly-by-wire" if you're flying. If you've got wheels it's called "drive-by-wire."
laugh.gif

Just kidding, but seriously BMW started doing it with the 7 series awhile back. It does get a lot of mixed reviews but the systems are still in the development stages and they'll undoubtedly get better as time progresses. There's rumors of a new Bimmer being developed that is TRUE "drive-by-wire," (i.e. brakes, steering, etc, everything) as opposed to these kinds of systems that are actually only "throttle-by-wire."

You're right about the Aprilla GP bike, and I heard that Aprilla's new 1000cc street bike has it too (could be wrong though, just what I heard).

Lots of cars have throttle-by-wire... the subaru wrx sti has had it since it came out in 2004. I'm sure there are probably a dozen or so cars on the market with it...

Personally, I think driving (and riding) skill has a lot to do with being able to finesse your control of the brakes, throttle, etc... I like having manual control over things. You think it sucks when your battery/alternator goes dead and you can't roll up your automatic windows.... how about not being able to hit your automatic brakes!? Now, I'm guessing these systems will be engineered with some safety factors in mind, but personally I'd prefer a car without any of them. I don't even like antilock brakes on my cars... I can stop in shorter distances without them.

i saw a commercial the other night that had a car that self parallel parked...the future is comeing where gps and "drive by wire" will combine and we can talk on our cell phones while the car drives us to where we are going...so if you get in an accident...who will be charged....the programer?

i had read the throttle was electronic on and cable off. that they were not sure of the safety for having a electronic off. all that i read had postive reports about the electronic on. very quick, presecise actions.

Throttle cable = $25
Throttle Position Sensor = $150+
Not really worth it honestly. I'm a Mech by trade and the things go out all the time.

Brings to mind the Paris Airshow where the Airbus A320 flew into the trees off the end of the runway. The crew went full throttle and pulled the nose up to climb. The computer overrode the crew and crashed the airplane!!
argue.gif

The R6 had it last year, so it's not new. Great article in Cycle World a few months back by their technical editor on this topic; essentially, he said that so many things on a bike are controlled by a computer (like your fuel injection), that the addition of the throttle isn't anything spectacular.

(bitabur @ Nov. 03 2006,04:23) I don't even like antilock brakes on my cars... I can stop in shorter distances without them.
If you're braking in less-than-ideal conditions (wet, icy, etc.), there's no way you'll stop in a shorter distance while controlling the car. That's what anti-lock does--allows you to steer while stopping.

Think of the massive computer-driven technology on F1 cars, or Ducati's GPS-driven traction control.

It makes the bike a little lighter, a little easier to work on (for those of us who know how to use a DVOM), and allows for another level of programming to make the bike faster and easier to ride.

One flaw of most bikes is cost/space restraints mean they have butterfly-type throttles, which have a very steep airflow curve. That's why 1/4 throttle is almost full throttle on bikes (and cars..)

The throttle by wire would allow you to program around this, giving the rider better control over the bike's acceleration, as long as he can get used to the system over normal bikes.

Throttle by wire also allows for zero-extra-weight cruise control and takes us one step closer to having CAN on our bikes.

Even drag racers will appreciate having less stuff to route around their big-ass turbos, and it can even allow you to have an integrated NOS system with less wiring.

As far as cost, it's actually negligable. Parts go like this:

+Sensor on throttle grip
- Cable assembly
+Motor to move throttle plates
-Idle air control (if equipped)

The individual parts may cost more, but it allows a lot more uniformity in the manufacturing process, which saves them money, which saves you money...
The cost of bikes is almost entirely market driven anyway.

It also makes it easier to control idle, and simplifies traction control greatly. You can also TUNE ENGINE BRAKING by allowing the rider to slam off the grip and measure how much air you want to be continually let into the cylinders, something MV Augusta (I think?) already does (with a different system).

biggrin.gif

what have I started! lol, very informative posts tho. Thanks for the insight y'all!
all_coholic.gif
beerchug.gif

I've never ridden a bike with electronic throttle, but my gut tells me that it's just another electronic thing to go wrong. Not that a mechanical throttle can't fail, but I'm all about simplicity. Just ask my wife...

(KoK-LoL @ Nov. 03 2006,07:55) Throttle cable = $25
Throttle Position Sensor = $150+
Not really worth it honestly. I'm a Mech by trade and the things go out all the time.
I am an aircraft mechanic by trade... yes things to break but do you really think that they would put some bottom line parts in the motorcycle with 160+ hp that are connected to the throttle? Things break yes, but when something such as this important breaks it usually has a fail safe... probably to idle...

(JET-A @ Nov. 03 2006,08:22) Brings to mind the Paris Airshow where the Airbus A320 flew into the trees off the end of the runway.  The crew went full throttle and pulled the nose up to climb.  The computer overrode the crew and crashed the airplane!!
argue.gif
Completely different concept. That crash happend because Airbus was conducting tests with new computer systems to automatically land the aircraft. The computer system glitched for some reason and didnt fully complete the landing sequence. The aircrafts flight controls were locked out from the pilots when they tried to regain control manualy and the computers would not allow it resulting in the crash.

(05 Busa LE @ Nov. 03 2006,08:42)
(bitabur @ Nov. 03 2006,04:23) I don't even like antilock brakes on my cars... I can stop in shorter distances without them.
If you're braking in less-than-ideal conditions (wet, icy, etc.), there's no way you'll stop in a shorter distance while controlling the car. That's what anti-lock does--allows you to steer while stopping.

Think of the massive computer-driven technology on F1 cars, or Ducati's GPS-driven traction control.
He must be some professional driver.... lets take all the anti lock brakes off the minivans and tahoes and give them back to the soccor moms and test the theory... i mean the automotive industry must be wrong about antilock brakes if most all cars have them now right?

Back