Electrical test

badboysbailagnt

Donating Member
Registered
I have failed this thing i know 20 times now. Its a test i have to take online for work and i have a feeling a couple of the answers are wrong but here is the test give me some imput you electrical guys

1: Technician A says that when current flows in a circuit, voltage drops across each resistance in the circuit.
Technician B says that the resistance of most conductors decreases as temperature increases.
Who is correct?

A.   Technician A only
B.   Technician B only
C.   Both Technician A and B
D.   Neither Technician A nor B

2: Technician A says that current flow in a circuit is directly proportional to the voltage applied.

Technician B says that current flow in a circuit is directly proportional to the resistance in the circuit.

Who is correct?

A. Technician A only
B. Technician B only
C. Both Technician A and B
D. Neither Technician A nor B

3: A light bulb in a circuit is observed to be dim.

Technician A says that current flow is lower than expected, and a possible cause is high circuit resistance.

Technician B says that current flow is lower than expected, and a possible cause is low voltage.

Who is correct?

A. Technician A only
B. Technician B only

4: Electrical power is measured in Watts, and is calculated by multiplying volts times amps.   True or False?

A. True
B. False

5: The resistance of a wire increases as its diameter decreases.   True or False?

A. True
B. False

6: A fuse in a circuit has blown.   What is the most likely cause?

A.   The circuit has too much resistance.
B.   The circuit has low voltage.
C.   Lower than specified circuit resistance.
D.   There is an open in the circuit.

7: Technician A says current can be measured by connecting a meter in series with the loads in the circuit.  

Technician B says current can be measured by connecting a meter in parallel across the component.

Who is correct?

A. Technician A only
B. Technician B only

8: Technician A says that when measuring current, power to the component or circuit must be turned Off to avoid false readings and to protect the meter and meter fuse.   If necessary, isolate components from the circuit to ensure an accurate measurement value.

Technician B says that an ohmmeter uses a battery to pass a small current through the component or circuit to measure its resistance.  

Who is correct?

A. Technician A only
B. Technician B only

9: Resistance in a circuit is measured in:

A. Amps
B. Volts
C. Ohms
D. Watts

10: Ohm’s Law says that it takes one volt to push one amp through a resistance of one ohm.   True or False?

A. True
B. False

I could just take the fuggin test for ya...if you think that'll help
face7.gif

Here are my wild ass guesses.

1:  Technician A says that when current flows in a circuit, voltage drops across each resistance in the circuit.
Technician B says that the resistance of most conductors decreases as temperature increases.
Who is correct?

A.   Technician A only
B.   Technician B only
C.   Both Technician A and B
D.   Neither Technician A nor B[/QUOTE]

A

2:  Technician A says that current flow in a circuit is directly proportional to the voltage applied.

Technician B says that current flow in a circuit is directly proportional to the resistance in the circuit.

Who is correct?

A. Technician A only
B. Technician B only
D. Neither Technician A nor B[/QUOTE]

C

3:  A light bulb in a circuit is observed to be dim.

Technician A says that current flow is lower than expected, and a possible cause is high circuit resistance.

Technician B says that current flow is lower than expected, and a possible cause is low voltage.

Who is correct?
A. Technician A only
B. Technician B only

C

4:  Electrical power is measured in Watts, and is calculated by multiplying volts times amps.   True or False?

A. True
B. False[/QUOTE]

A

5: The resistance of a wire increases as its diameter decreases.   True or False?

A. True
B. False[/QUOTE]

A

6:  A fuse in a circuit has blown.   What is the most likely cause?

D.   There is an open in the circuit.[/QUOTE]

C

7:   Technician A says current can be measured by connecting a meter in series with the loads in the circuit.  

Technician B says current can be measured by connecting a meter in parallel across the component.

Who is correct?

A. Technician A only
B. Technician B only

A

8:   Technician A says that when measuring current, power to the component or circuit must be turned Off to avoid false readings and to protect the meter and meter fuse.   If necessary, isolate components from the circuit to ensure an accurate measurement value.

Technician B says that an ohmmeter uses a battery to pass a small current through the component or circuit to measure its resistance.  

Who is correct?

A. Technician A only
B. Technician B only

B

A. Amps
B. Volts
C. Ohms
D. Watts[/QUOTE]

C

10:   Ohm’s Law says that it takes one volt to push one amp through a resistance of one ohm.   True or False?

A. True
B. False[/QUOTE]

A

<!--EDIT|Turbo-Torch
Reason for Edit: None given...|1140496555 -->

Does it say which ones I got wrong? I changed 8 as it was a trick question...the first tech A claim had nothing to do with tech B's claim on how a meter works (which was correct).

If memory serves correctly:

1: Technician A says that when current flows in a circuit, voltage drops across each resistance in the circuit.
Who is correct?

A. Technician A only Resistance increases with temp.
B. Technician B only

2: Technician A says that current flow in a circuit is directly proportional to the voltage applied.

Who is correct?

A. Technician A only
B. Technician B only
C. Both Technician A and B It the combination of voltage & resistance. I (Current) =V (Voltage) / R (Resistance)

Who is correct?

A. Technician A only
B. Technician B only

4: Electrical power is measured in Watts, and is calculated by multiplying volts times amps. True or False?

A. True
B. False

5: The resistance of a wire increases as its diameter decreases. True or False?

A. True If your talking about a single strand. The cross-section of the wire will decrease as a smaller wire is used. The surface of the wire carries most of the electrons, so standed wires can handle more current than a single stand of the same gauge.

B. False

6: A fuse in a circuit has blown. What is the most likely cause?

A. The circuit has too much resistance.
B. The circuit has low voltage.
C. Lower than specified circuit resistance.
D. There is an open in the circuit. This would be true, but not the cause. The cause would be a short circuit, or drawing more current through the fuse than it is designed to handle.

7: Technician A says current can be measured by connecting a meter in series with the loads in the circuit.

Who is correct?

A. Technician A only
B. Technician B only
C. Both Technician A and B Only if Tech B is measuring voltage an knows the resistance of the component his meter is in parallel with.

8: Technician A says that when measuring current, power to the component or circuit must be turned Off to avoid false readings and to protect the meter and meter fuse. If necessary, isolate components from the circuit to ensure an accurate measurement value.

Who is correct?

A. Technician A only
B. Technician B only You can't measure current if there is no power flowing.

A. Amps
B. Volts
C. Ohms but it's measured in a live ciruit by voltage lost through a perticular component.
D. Watts

10: Ohm’s Law says that it takes one volt to push one amp through a resistance of one ohm. True or False?

A. True R=I/V
B. False

A. The circuit has too much resistance.
B. The circuit has low voltage.
D. There is an open in the circuit. This would be true, but not the cause. The cause would be a short circuit, or drawing more current through the fuse than it is designed to handle.[/QUOTE]

Has to be C
If you run a direct wire from hot to neutral you have no resistance and the fuse blows. Put something like a heating element between and you now have resistance so the fuse doesn't blow.

D.   There is an open in the circuit.  This would be true, but not the cause.  The cause would be a short circuit, or drawing more current through the fuse than it is designed to handle.

Has to be C
If you run a direct wire from hot to neutral you have no resistance and the fuse blows.  Put something like a heating element between and you now have resistance so the fuse doesn't blow.[/QUOTE]
I marked to the resulting state, but I did put that in my justification.  You are correct that it should be C.

A direct wire does have resistance, but it's so minute it can be negligible.

<!--EDIT|TruWrecks
Reason for Edit: None given...|1140498658 -->

I'll give it a shot...
rock.gif

If memory serves correctly:

Who is correct?

A. Technician A only: Resistance increases with temp.

Who is correct?

C. Both Technician A and B: It is the combination of voltage & resistance. I (Current) =V (Voltage) / R (Resistance)

Who is correct?

A. Technician A only: Tech-B is wrong, because a low voltage would cause an increase in current in order to roduce the same amount of wattage.

4: Electrical power is measured in Watts, and is calculated by multiplying volts times amps. True or False?

A. True

5: The resistance of a wire increases as its diameter decreases. True or False?

B. False: Resistors (a wire is a resitor)

Who is correct?

A. Technician A only: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_9/3.html

8: Technician A says that when measuring current, power to the component or circuit must be turned Off to avoid false readings and to protect the meter and meter fuse. If necessary, isolate components from the circuit to ensure an accurate measurement value.

Who is correct?

D. Neither Technician A nor B:
* Tech-A is wrong, because if there is no power to the circuit, then there is no current to measure.
* Tech-B is wrong because the meter is measuring the current, NOT producing it.
* The key here is that your meter has to be rated for the Voltage and the Current expected within the circuit, or the meter could possibly fail.
* A clamp on Amp probe is measuring current by relating the probe's induced voltage to the current flowing within the circuit.

C. Ohms

10: Ohm’s Law says that it takes one volt to push one amp through a resistance of one ohm. True or False?

A. True R=I/V

Did I pass
blush.gif
laugh.gif

Here's a link. Lots of good information on here.
All About Circuits.com

D.   There is an open in the circuit.  This would be true, but not the cause.  The cause would be a short circuit, or drawing more current through the fuse than it is designed to handle.

Has to be C
If you run a direct wire from hot to neutral you have no resistance and the fuse blows.  Put something like a heating element between and you now have resistance so the fuse doesn't blow.
I marked to the resulting state, but I did put that in my justification.  You are correct that it should be C.

A direct wire does have resistance, but it's so minute it can be negligible.[/QUOTE]
lower than specified circuit resistance.

An open would stop all current, which is what a blown fuses produces. A fuse is a circuit protection device that opens a circuit when current gets too high.

Has to be C
If you run a direct wire from hot to neutral you have no resistance and the fuse blows.  Put something like a heating element between and you now have resistance so the fuse doesn't blow.

A direct wire does have resistance, but it's so minute it can be negligible.
lower than specified circuit resistance.

An open would stop all current, which is what a blown fuses produces.  A fuse is a circuit protection device that opens a circuit when current gets too high.[/QUOTE]
They don't want to know what a fuse is for. They want to know what CAUSED the fuse to blow.

too much resistance = not enough current to blow the fuse
circuit has low voltage = not enough current to blow the fuse
lower than specified circuit resistance = high current, fuse blows
open in the circuit = no current flow

Ohm's law: Current is directly proportional to voltage and inversely proportional to resistance. Oh, by the way I am an electronics instructor.

* Tech-B is wrong because the meter is measuring the current, NOT producing it.[/QUOTE]

Tech B was not trying to measure current. He was checking resistance and that's how a VOM works. Like I said #8 was a trick question meant to confuse as it had nothing to do with Tech A's previous statement even though they threw the word "current" in both statements.

and when you measure current system power DOES (after leads are applied) need to be on. Even though a meter does produce its on power it takes that into account when giving the reading. Either way, tech A is wrong on that one

Okay...my head hurts now
laugh.gif
So what are the answers Vincent
rock.gif
biggrin.gif

too much resistance = not enough current to blow the fuse
circuit has low voltage = not enough current to blow the fuse
lower than specified circuit resistance = high current, fuse blows
open in the circuit = no current flow

Ohm's law: Current is directly proportional to voltage and inversely proportional to resistance.  Oh, by the way I am an electronics instructor.
We both agreed the answer was C long ago.
smile.gif

Go back to my original answers and let us know which one was wrong so he can pass the test.

Back