Electrical question:

(ibified @ Sep. 20 2007,12:30) how would I wire in a diode? the goal here is to NOT use a 3 pos switch....
Like this:

When the key is on, current will flow thru the diode, powering the LED(s).

When the key is off, you can flip the switch, powering the LED(s), but the diode will prevent the current from flowing back into the electonics.

Diode.jpg

awesome. thats EXACTLY the solution I was looking for. Thanks a bunch!

the diode would go on the wire I'm pulling from the tail light (12v switched power) right?

And, is there a specific diode type i need to use here?

(ibified @ Sep. 20 2007,13:00) awesome. thats EXACTLY the solution I was looking for. Thanks a bunch!

the diode would go on the wire I'm pulling from the tail light (12v switched power) right?

And, is there a specific diode type i need to use here?
Yup, put the diode on your switched line. Something Like This should do the trick.

There's a stripe painted on the diode - it corresponds to the 'line' on the diode in the schematic. Think of a diode as a one-way gate. Current will flow one way only - it flows in one end and OUT the end with the 'line' on it.

HTH...

The current is nothing on LEDs, I would suggest coming off the spare plug for running lights in the nose for the when running and the battery to a switch for the when not running.

Thanks for all the help, guys. I got the lights working exactly how i wanted using a single 2 position switch. I discovered that yu need a diode on BOTH hot wires going to the LEDs so the current doesnt run back through everything. I had tied my switch to my other LEDs, and when i had the bike on, it turned ALL the lights on. One more diode later though and it's perfect. This place rocks.

stop over engineering the thing just put a switch on the ground circuit and be done with it. Get your power from the switch power circuit of the bike and if you don't want them on then flip the switch that is on the ground circuit and it will turn off the lights. If you want them on then turn the switch on. No need for diodes and other crap just more stuff to go wrong in the future. One simple switch and some wire and you are good to go.

i dont think theres a way to wire it to come on how i want it to without having the diodes there. if you have an idea though, id love to hear it. a switch on the ground wouldnt allow me to turn them on without the power on AND have them come on when the bike does.

Back