Anybody accessed front light wires on Gen 3

60+ Busa Rider

Registered
Anybody accessed front light wires on a Gen 3? I want to add Skene lights to the front and wondering what has to be removed to get to a 12 volt switched wire and ground. I’m very mechanically and electrically inclined and figured someone from the org. has already been into the front wires and can tell me what needs to be removed. Thanks in advance.

Front light wires? As in the headlight hot wire? You just have to remove the panel above the front fender (push-pins) and you can reach in there. It's a tight squeeze, but I was able to reach in there and get a posi-tap connector on the hot wire for the high beam for my Clearwater Lights.

20230205_075840.JPG

Thank you so much that is a huge help. Can I ask why you tapped in to the high beam? I was thinking of tapping in to my low beam so my Skene lights would always be on. Thoughts?

Thank you so much that is a huge help. Can I ask why you tapped in to the high beam? I was thinking of tapping in to my low beam so my Skene lights would always be on. Thoughts?

This is what makes the Clearwater Lights kit somewhat unusual is that it requires you to tap into the high beam hot wire to know when to go to full power when you click your lows to high beam. While the lights are on low beam, you can adjust the brightness low to high.

Wire diagram:

As for opinion, if you are price sensitive, these are not the lights for you. They are expensive, and no one is apologizing for the price. You can get cheap lights at your local auto parts store or China-made off eBay for cheap. The kits are manufactured in the USA (Sacramento) and if you ever have an issue, call up Clearwater, and they will make it right. I've had the same light kit for 10+ years and installed on four successive bikes (keep it when I sell bike). Over the last decade plus, I think they have paid for themselves. The type of riding I do, I want to be seen as much as possible by everybody.

clearwater-9-jpg.jpg

Yeah I’ve had every body panel off my Gen 3. I’m installing a Fueltech ft600 and wiring the entire bike from scratch.

E12253C8-8288-4E5A-B3BF-E9E17D8F0E4B.jpeg

Here is the order of operations from the service manual to remove body panels.
7D9B4224-5A72-4D07-A32C-AE6D51E6181B.jpeg

The headlights have a 7.5 amp fuse; I would look to get power from something that can handle more current.

586C7DCE-77E8-44C0-8A04-C85524A9DFCC.jpeg

The lights pashnit posted look really good. Sure they cost more but I’ve already seen a few posts from guys melting wires from cheap and poorly designed add-on electronics.

I’d want to know how many amps the lights will pull and then decided where to get power and ground from.

I use this calculator to determine wire gauge based on length of wire and amp draw.

My cat approves this message.

Yeah I’ve had every body panel off my Gen 3. I’m installing a Fueltech ft600 and wiring the entire bike from scratch.

View attachment 1664061
Here is the order of operations from the service manual to remove body panels.
View attachment 1664062

The headlights have a 7.5 amp fuse; I would look to get power from something that can handle more current.

View attachment 1664063

The lights pashnit posted look really good. Sure they cost more but I’ve already seen a few posts from guys melting wires from cheap and poorly designed add-on electronics.

I’d want to know how many amps the lights will pull and then decided where to get power and ground from.

I use this calculator to determine wire gauge based on length of wire and amp draw.

My cat approves this message.
always make sure the fuse is the weakest link

i had clearwater Darla lights for about 6 years on my BMW k1300s with the same exact posi-tap wiring to the high beam. excellent lights.. sold them once i sold the motorcycle. considering repurchase of clearwater lights for the busa. another option is Denali. I am currently using the Denali D4 lights on my KTM 1290 and they are working well so far.

Front light wires? As in the headlight hot wire? You just have to remove the panel above the front fender (push-pins) and you can reach in there. It's a tight squeeze, but I was able to reach in there and get a posi-tap connector on the hot wire for the high beam for my Clearwater Lights.

View attachment 1664056
i could make a plug in adapter on this connector if you prefer not to tap into the factory wiring.

Gentlemen thank you so much for all this information and the electrical schematics, this is going to be huge help. I did some research last night on the Clearwater lights and I like them. I can’t say thanks enough!

Back